Topics

nvda and libreoffice

Josh Kennedy

hi
is libreoffice or openoffice or both now accessible with NVDA without the java access bridge? if so which one and which version?

--
follow me on twitter @joshknnd1982

Answer to one of those questions, the one concerning not needing access
bridge is yes. The answer to your second question is always the latest
version. I'm running LibreOffice 4.10, and I'm having no major issues.
It is perfectly accessible.

On 3/4/2016 12:30 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
hi
is libreoffice or openoffice or both now accessible with NVDA without
the java access bridge? if so which one and which version?

juan gonzalez <jgonzalezh614@...>

I am just getting into libre Office and was wondering if you had some
tips on how to make it work better with NVDA. Thus far i have disabled
use java features and enabled use beta features. not sure if that is a
good thing or not but it seemed to make NVDA work a bit better with it.
Issues i have been getting include:

i was trying to set a password to a document and when i went into
settings/security and tried to find the add a password button. NVDA
would not tab around the dialog. i don't even know how i got it to find
the button but i did. when i set the password i selected OK and it took
me back to the settings dialog where again i could not tab around to the
OK button. as far as i know it didn't add my password to the file and
haven't found a way to do it.

another problem is when i put a misspelled word and i correct it with
the applications key. NVDA doesn't seem to know where it is at and i
have to pull up the start menu and go back to the libre Office to be
able to keep editing my document. happens also in excel sheets.

any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated

On 3/4/2016 12:11 PM, Governor staten wrote:
Answer to one of those questions, the one concerning not needing access
bridge is yes. The answer to your second question is always the latest
version. I'm running LibreOffice 4.10, and I'm having no major issues.
It is perfectly accessible.

On 3/4/2016 12:30 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
hi
is libreoffice or openoffice or both now accessible with NVDA without
the java access bridge? if so which one and which version?

Kenny Peyattt jr.

Yes it is And it works well.
Kenny Peyatt jr.

is libreoffice or openoffice or both now accessible with NVDA without
the java access bridge? if so which one and which version?

--
follow me on twitter @joshknnd1982

Vincent Thacker <vince@...>

I use Open Office with NVDA, and find the accessibility pretty good. You no longer have to mess about with Java Access Bridge, I'm relieved to say. You may want to look at the Options menu and make sure the accessibility settings in there are the ones you want.

Vince in England.

Message Received: Mar 04 2016, 05:30 PM
From: "Josh Kennedy"
To: nvda@groups.io

hi
is libreoffice or openoffice or both now accessible with NVDA without
the java access bridge? if so which one and which version?

--
follow me on twitter @joshknnd1982

Rosemarie Chavarria

I tried Libre office but found that I like open office much better. The only real drawback I see is that you have to hit control down-arrow to read paragraphs instead ofjust hitting insert down-arrow to do a say all. I can deal with that though.
How do you read the help files in open office? I'd like to learn more about it.

From: "Josh Kennedy"
To: nvda@groups.io

hi
is libreoffice or openoffice or both now accessible with NVDA without
the java access bridge? if so which one and which version?

--
follow me on twitter @joshknnd1982

Christo de Klerk

Well, it works well upto a point, I would say. Quite a major drawback is that you don't get formatting information with NVDA when you press NVDA+f. I hope this is something that can be addressed soon. Another drawback is that the read to end function does not work; it only reads a paragraph at a time. Another small irritation is that, when you use auto-numbering and arrow up and down your text, the number of each numbered element is read twice.

So, while it is generally accessible, there certainly are usage issues with it. I really wish the NVDA developers would pay more attention to accessibility of LibreOffice, as it is also a free package and much less clunky to use than the MS counterpart.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2016/03/04 8:56 PM, Kenny Peyattt jr. wrote:
Yes it is And it works well.
Kenny Peyatt jr.

is libreoffice or openoffice or both now accessible with NVDA without
the java access bridge? if so which one and which version?

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Christo,

I find that open office works a little better than libre office. The read-to-end function doesn't work in that either but I can deal with that.

Rosemarie

On 3/4/2016 11:04 PM, Christo de Klerk wrote:
[...]

Aravind R

using calc is difficult using any screen reader.
in our bank, head office has ms excel but branches send files prepared
by open office calc which we are unable to view.
kindly explain how to view the information and make changes

On 3/5/16, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

r. aravind,

Assistant manager
Department of sales
mobile no: +91 9940369593, 9710945613.
email id : aravind_069@yahoo.com, aravind.andhrabank@gmail.com.

Rosemarie Chavarria

I haven't tried using kelp yet. I'll play with it and let you all know how it works.

Rosemarie

On 3/4/2016 11:27 PM, Aravind R wrote:
[...]

Mallard

Josh,

Go for LibreOffice.
It has been accessible for a long time now; the latest versions definitely are.

Ciao,
Ollie