NVDA and math.

John Isige

So I finally decided to look into NVDA and math. Of course you need Math Player. But if you go to the download page in the user manual, you get taken to Math Type, which appears to be about writing equations. If you go to the Math Player support page found here:

https://www.dessci.com/en/support/mathplayer/

And go to their download link here:

https://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/download.htm

you also see Math Type downloads, but nothing about Math Player, unless I'm just missing something. Can you still get this thing and read math with NVDA? I hope so.

Louis Maher

Hello,

A direct download for MathPlayer is
"https://downloads.wiris.com/mathplayer/MathPlayerSetup.exe".

A manual for MathPlayer can be found at
"https://docs.wiris.com/en/mathplayer/start".

I am pasting a letter describing how MathPlayer works. For 64-bit word, you will not see MathPlayer's menus; however, it is still working and is necessary to see math with NVDA. Here is the description of how MathPlayer works.

----
I wrote MathPlayer and for the most part, what people have said is correct. I want to correct a common misunderstanding though. MathPlayer is a 32-bit application and indeed won't run in 64-bit Word. BUT... it doesn't need to run in Word -- it needs to work with NVDA which is a 32 bit application. You lose the ribbon entry in 64-bit Word, but all the other functionality is still there -- speech, braille, and navigation. The reason for this is that the flow of information is:
1. NVDA encounters a MathType object in a Word document.
2. NVDA asks MathType for the MathML corresponding to the internal MathType representation. This is why you need MathType.
3. NVDA calls MathPlayer with the MathML to get the speech, braille, etc.

This last step does not involve Word. A similar procedure happens in a browser except that step '2' is "NVDA queries the DOM to get the MathML". Most people use a 64-bit browser and MathPlayer works fine with 64-bit browsers.

Sadly WIRIS, the company that bought Design Science, has decided they don't want to continue with MathPlayer despite my offer to do updates for free. Because of this, earlier this year I started on a MathPlayer replacement that I call MathCAT: Math Capable Assistive Technology. It is open source. It implements most of ClearSpeak at the moment, but still has a few months to go before it is ready for real use. I have done a proof of concept connection with NVDA so I know it will work with NVDA. I also spoke with the ORCA (the Linux screen reader) developer and she is interested in incorporating MathCAT there -- so some good news to the few of you who use Linux.

When MathCAT is ready for beta testing, I will reach out to this mailing list and ask for testers. I'll also need people to help with translations to other languages. MathCAT's external format for speech rules (which are user changeable) differs from MathPlayer. It think they are more powerful, easier to read, and easier modify. Because of the difference, converting the 14 different language translations is very error-prone... and I have no way to know if the speech that gets generated is correct.

Bottom line: stay tuned for an open source replacement to MathPlayer that I hope others will contribute to.

Neil Soiffer
Neil Soiffer <soiffer@alum.mit.edu>

Regards
Louis Maher