Topics

NVDA and MathML content, plus Hi from Jay at AC

Jason Timms

Hi

My name is Jay Timms,

Wanted to say hi before blasting some questions to the group. Go gentle I am new here.

I am looking for advice on MathML and NVDA. I am working with a student who needs to access Math.

I have material encoded in MathML, have connected to try to load MathPlayer on his computer. He has the latest version of NVDA and Windows 10. I have reinstalled his Office to ensure it is 32 bit.

His material is in MS Word and has been encoded by a Professional service provider known for their ability to encode in MathML.

We can’t seem to get NVDA to speak the content in the book?

Any thoughts?

Also, I have not worked with someone using MathML before, are there other software solutions or format choices that may work better. The student is new to NVDA and MathML so switching file format is not likely an issue as we are starting from the beginning anyway?

Thanks,,

Jay @ AC

Sean

I did not know that MathML can be read in a format such as Word or PDF.

If I am going to write math formulas, I use matjax.
When I move the cursor on  the formula, I press NVDA+ALT+M. This creates a virtual cursor  for me to study math content.

And I use Chrome.

--

Sean

👨‍🦯 I’m programmer. I coding often Python, sometimes Go and rarely C++.

Mallard

Hello,

I would suggest to look into the axcessibility package developed by the Sergio Polin Laboratory of the University of Tutin, Italy.

If I can contact you off-list, I can try and provide more info.

I'm only beginning to look into it too, to help a friend with high school math.

That works with Latex though.

If that suits you, then let me know and we can take this discussion off-list.

Ciao, take care and stay safe,
Ollie

On 04/08/2020 18:04, Jason Timms wrote:

[...]

rowen brian

It is recommended that you install the Access8Math Addon:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/access8math.zh_CN.html

Jason Timms

What would you suggest for a Math textbook?
I have not actually read Math ML in word but it is what the student requested adn the service provider sent us. Just learning more about Math ML and screen readers.
Would some type of HTML version of a Math text book work better?

Jay

AC ITS Caution: This email originated from an external sender. Be careful of phishing attacks.

Security Tip of the Month: Please protect your workspace while working remotely. Do not leave sensitive information on your computer or desk unattended. It can lead to data leakages, unintentional disclosure, and a cybersecurity breach.

[...]

Given that Math ML is very much purpose driven, designed to be read much more "naturally" in context, and is well supported that's likely your best option.

Also, if that's what was requested, and has been supplied, it's in your (and your student's) best interest to get a handle on it.

If you didn't read the topic, Speech Dictionaries: Changing How Superscripted Text Is Read ,
yesterday take a look at it, too.

          ~ Oscar Wilde