Topics

NVDA and MS word

Hi everyone,

When I open MS Word a second window comes up titled "message'.
Is there a way to prevent the second window -- showing up.
Perhaps I'll need to reconfigure MS Word, but how?

Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: @Nev

Quentin Christensen

Have you got any Word add-ons?  Or programs which might be trying to do something with Word?  I haven't encountered the issue you're describing myself.  I'm using Office 365.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 5:53 AM Nevzat Adil <nevzatadil@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

When I open MS Word a second window comes up titled "message'.
Is there a way to prevent the second window -- showing up.
Perhaps I'll need to reconfigure MS Word, but how?

Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@...

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Not that I know of. Do you think uninstalling and reinstalling office
would help?

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: @Nev

Are you able to take a screenshot of that window, upload it somewhere, and post the link to it here?   It's really impossible to give any guidance without knowing what, precisely, is going on in that window.  If it won't read the contents to you that's even more critical.  What you're describing is not something I've encountered before.

       ~ Madonna

Jackie

Nevzat, it appears you're getting some sort of message, likely from
Microsoft Word itself. I seriously doubt this has anything to do
w/NVDA, really, other than the fact that NVDA is announcing it. It
would be good if you could ascertain what that window is saying.

On 3/17/20, Nevzat Adil <@Nev> wrote:
[...]

It quite possibly would but it is probably also overkill :)

In your Word options (ALT+F then T) if you CONTROL+TAB down to "Add-ins", have a look on that screen and see what's there.  If you've got software you know has Word plug-ins, they'll be listed here.  There are probably other things you might or might not have specifically added but come with other programs like OneNote, or FoxIt Reader.

Looking at mine, there are a few random things I don't recognise like Date XML.  So just because you don't recognise something there, doesn't mean it's causing problems - although it's worth being aware of anything which is running while Office is running just because it could be slowing things down (Apparently my Date XML and a few others relate to some kind of office smart tag functionality which evidently is built-in to Office).

Otherwise, as Brian suggested, a screenshot might help here - if you press NVDA+T to read the title bar on that message, what does it say?  And can you navigate around it (arrows, tab, etc)?

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@...

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Sean

I had the same problem after installing Dropbox. In Word, a window with the title “Dropbox” was coming. After pressing the Alt key, and press ESC.

Probably a program you installed on your computer has installed the plug-in for MSWord.

Sean

I'm student and programmer. I write often Python, sometimes Go and rare C++.
I can understand Turkish and English.

When I open an existing document I get a window title telling me the
name of the folder the file I opened is under. When I press caps
lock+tab I get the word 'message'. I need to press alt+tab to get to
the file I opened. It's not a big deal, but it's a nuisance.

* Twitter: Friedrich Sargon ( https://twitter.com/FriedrichSargon )
* Email: seantolstoyevski@... ( seantolstoyevski@...
)
* GitHub: SeanTolstoyevski ( https://github.com/SeanTolstoyevski/ )