Topics

NVDA and my bank's website.

Suzy

Hello to all,

I have problems with my bank's website. I am not sure how to describe them on github. In addition, that site overwhelms me. Furthermore, this situation may be difficult to comprehend without being able to experience the site.

My bank made major changes to their website in early September. The changes made the site frustrating to use, but it was not inaccessible. I contacted the bank about it, and let them know that there were issues with both Firefox and Chrome, when used with either NVDA or Narrator. They did not develop the site, so there was not much they could do for me.
I decided to wait and see if NVDA 2019.3 made the site useable. I was elated when the betas worked. (There were still issues, but the most important things were far better. I logged in several times with wonderful results. I planned to write to my contact at the bank and tell her the good news.
Today' I signed into my computer for the first time in five days. (I have been on vacation.) I updated NVDA to 2019.3 RC3. Then, I logged into my account to reconcile it. It was as if I had taken a step backward. Actually, it was worse. Currently, many links are not activating without using the touch screen.
I will try to describe the biggest problem as best as I can. This problem existed with NVDA 2019.2,disappeared with the 2019.3 beta, and reappeared with RC3.

According to those who can see, there is a series of tabs across the top of the page. There are items such as: kccounts, Transfers, Make Payments, and Profile.

selecting one of the tabs opens a menu containing items related to the tab. It is quite easy to visualize this as a menu with submenus. When NVDA arrives at this area, it announces, "Menu." None of the tabs are spoken.

Pressing Enter does not seem to make any changes. One would expect a menu to open and be where the word menu had been spoken.

After a lot of groping, I learned the tabs (or menu) could be found by pressing Control+End followed by a few presses of UpArrow.

I may need to clarify. The tabs are not available to a screen reader user until after “Menu,” is activated. Going to the bottom of the screen, locating the desired tab, and pressing Enter, drops down a menu immediately below the tab.

One more thing. Occasionally, the tabs would be at the top of the page, when using NVDA 2019.2. I do not know what caused this infrequent change in behavior.

Just to reemphasize. The beta versions of NVDA 2019.3 always read the tabs. There was no “Menu.”

As for links not activating unless double-tapping the touch screen, I haven’t explored that thoroughly. I do not need the links I tried very often. Also, there are other problems with the site, but I think they have more to do with poor design than anything else.

I hoped my bank had a dummy account someone could preview. Alas, that is not the case.

I would deeply appreciate any assistance.

Sincerely,

Suzy
P.S. I am using Windows 10 and Chrome. Both are fully updated.

Sarah k Alawami

Have you run the latest update as admin? Try this and see if it works. I find this is working for me, I'm running it as a portable though.

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 6 Feb 2020, at 12:41, Suzy wrote:

[...]

Quentin Christensen

I didn't think we'd changed anything since the betas which should affect this - more likely a change in either the website or an update to your browser (which tend to happen in the background and so you don't notice) is the culprit.  Just to be sure, have you still got the beta which was working (if you let me know which one I can get you the link, although they should mostly be listed at:  https://www.nvaccess.org/category/news/

If you can try it with a beta which was working and confirm whether things work the same or differently, we can look into what has changed on our end.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Suzy

hi.
Thank you for the replies.
Sarah, running as administrator did not change anything.
Quinton, I will try your suggestion today and report back.
Off list, it was suggested I mention the bank I use. It is a credit union local to my area -- Weokie Credit Union.

Thanks again.
Suzy

Suzy

Hello again.

It appears to be Google's fault. After creating a portable copy of NVDA Beta 3 and calling my bank to inform them I would be logging in and out several times, I performed several test using the beta 3 and RC3 versions of NVDA.
First was the control test. Logging in with Chrome and RC3 worked as it did yesterday.
Logging in with Chrome and Beta 3 also functioned in the same manner as RC3. Voila! NVDA was not the culprit.
It was time to see if Firefox would produce favorable results. In September, when paired with NVDA 2019.2, it behaved as Chrome is behaving now.
An updated Firefox plus NVDA Beta 3 worked as Beta 3 and Chrome had done before my time away from the PC.
This was also true for Firefox and RC3.
The last thing I did was to see when Chrome last updated. It was two days ago. Although the update is "rolling out", I must have been one of the first to get it. Selecting About Chrome shows me I am up to date.

Forgive me for not thoroughly checking things out.

Suzy

Arlene

Suzy, Arlene here. I too use a Credit Union site. I don’t know about your  credit Union.  These Credit Union bank websites are very secure.  I’ve had the same issue not being able to login I used Jaws to do it. Then again tried with the latest version of NVDA. The problem ironed itself out. I was using google Chrome to do this when I first got this windows ten system.  Do you have IE?  You can try it.Sorry I forgot to tell you it was the early version of NVDA the 19 version when it was first out.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10