Topics

NVDA and Notepad ++ search

William Wong

I am running the latest stable version 7.9.1

1. I use ctrl f to search for something, and I know that that part of text exist more than one time in that document.

2. then I press F3 to jump to next result

3. NVDA said no more search result in this direction, but actually the focus has already jump to the new line that matches the search keyword

4. I try pressing ctrl home and start from the very begining, pressing F3 do also speak no more search ....

I jump to end by ctrl End, then I press F3, NVDA just say the same, no more search..... but did not have the sound that indicate no next search

result.

Do anyone  has any idea about how to fix this?

Thanks,

William

Gene

No, but I doubt this is an NVDA problem. Its probably a Notepad problem since that is a Notepad command. You can check this by testing with another screen-reader.

I am running the latest stable version 7.9.1

1. I use ctrl f to search for something, and I know that that part of
text exist more than one time in that document.

2. then I press F3 to jump to next result

3. NVDA said no more search result in this direction, but actually the
focus has already jump to the new line that matches the search keyword

4. I try pressing ctrl home and start from the very begining, pressing
F3 do also speak no more search ....

I jump to end by ctrl End, then I press F3, NVDA just say the same, no
more search..... but did not have the sound that indicate no next search

result.

Do anyone has any idea about how to fix this?

Thanks,

William

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello,
I just tested with NVDA and another screen reader.
I had a document with two occurrences of the same word.
Pressing f3 brings me to the second occurrence. But it does not indicate that I changed the place in the document. So to be sure, I press escape after the result is displayed.
With the other screen reader the line where the word is located is displayed, so it is easier to understand that you reached another result.
Pressing escape is also helpful.
Otherwise, have you tried the NVDA search function : nvda+ctrl+F, then NVDA+F3 to search for the next occurrence ? It seems to work here.
But I still have to press escape at the end.
Sylvie

[...]

The NVDA search is not the proper command to use when not in browse mode. The search command for Notepad should be used, control f, and to repeat the search, f3.

[...]

Gene,

I have just tried using Narrator but Narrator seemed unable to navigate within the document area of Notepad ++

I do not have another screen reader except Narrator.... I cannot try this with another one.

Can any one else confirm this as a nvda bug or notepad ++ bug?

Thanks.

Gene 於 13/11/2020 23:02 寫道:

-----Original Message----- From: William Wong
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 7:24 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

I am running the latest stable version 7.9.1

1. I use ctrl f to search for something, and I know that that part of
text exist more than one time in that document.

2. then I press F3 to jump to next result

3. NVDA said no more search result in this direction, but actually the
focus has already jump to the new line that matches the search keyword

4. I try pressing ctrl home and start from the very begining, pressing
F3 do also speak no more search ....

I jump to end by ctrl End, then I press F3, NVDA just say the same, no
more search..... but did not have the sound that indicate no next search

result.

Do anyone  has any idea about how to fix this?

Thanks,

William

William Wong

Well the search function of notepad ++ is so powerful that nvda search function cannot substitute.

Sylvie Duchateau 於 13/11/2020 23:35 寫道:

[...]

I'm not sure why you can't see text in Notepad using Narrator.  I can in Windows 7 and I would think you should be able to in Windows 10.

See if this solves the problem.  You can use the screen-reader you usually use.

When in the program, maximize the window, alt space bar, then x. Does that solve the problem?

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 7:24 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

I am running the latest stable version 7.9.1

1. I use ctrl f to search for something, and I know that that part of
text exist more than one time in that document.

2. then I press F3 to jump to next result

3. NVDA said no more search result in this direction, but actually the
focus has already jump to the new line that matches the search keyword

4. I try pressing ctrl home and start from the very begining, pressing
F3 do also speak no more search ....

I jump to end by ctrl End, then I press F3, NVDA just say the same, no
more search..... but did not have the sound that indicate no next search

result.

Do anyone  has any idea about how to fix this?

Thanks,

William

William,

            Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Notepad++?

            I am not having the issue you describe.  I just copied and pasted a huge document where the word "using" occurs 27 times.  If I do an Notepad++ search via CTRL+F, I land on the first occurrence of that word and NVDA announces "Using, selected."  Then I close the Find dialog and continue using F3, and on each instance it lands on NVDA says, "Using, selected, unselected."  I am not quite sure why that's how it's phrasing it, but I have a guess.  The instances are highlighted, much like they are selected, but they're not.  I think NVDA's not quite certain initially exactly what is going on, but figures out the correct state pretty quickly.  There is about a one second beat between the "Using, selected," and the following announcement, "unselected."  I did not keep going enough to make the Notepad++ find function wrap, which it's set to do by default after the last instance of something found has been found and you hit F3 immediately afterward.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I am using Notepad Plus Plus 7.67.X.  The 7.91.x version released on November 2 is supposedly the current stable version. However, at the bottom of the page, the following is stated:
"if no major issues are found, auto updater will be triggered in few days."  I wonder if there may be some issue with the latest version. I usually wit until the auto updater kicks in and then i UPDATE.

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 7:24 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

William Wong

Hi,

Well, I am puzzling why this problem to my pc.

I am using 64bit of notepad++

Brian Vogel 於 14/11/2020 12:20 寫道:

[...]

I feel sorry, I though the first email was not sent due to network connection issue, then I resend it, but seemed that both have been sent, I am sorry for sending two of the same email.

William 威 於 15/11/2020 16:52 寫道:

[...]

Dave Grossoehme

Good Day:  There is an add on for Notepad++, which is in the NVDA Add on's.  Are you using this add on?

Dave

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 7:24 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

I am running the latest stable version 7.9.1

1. I use ctrl f to search for something, and I know that that part of
text exist more than one time in that document.

2. then I press F3 to jump to next result

3. NVDA said no more search result in this direction, but actually the
focus has already jump to the new line that matches the search keyword

4. I try pressing ctrl home and start from the very begining, pressing
F3 do also speak no more search ....

I jump to end by ctrl End, then I press F3, NVDA just say the same, no
more search..... but did not have the sound that indicate no next search

result.

Do anyone  has any idea about how to fix this?

Thanks,

William

It's also never a bad idea to uninstall and reinstall software that's behaving peculiarly.  Much like the old tech support advice to power cycle your machine, which often fixes issues (and no one knows why) the same is true of an uninstall/reinstall.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Gene

I don't have punctuation on in my screen-reader and I didn't know Note;pad ++ was being discussed. I thought it was just Notepad. I would think search works the same way. If it doesn't, then my comments don't apply and others may give information. But if Notepad ++ is built on Notepad, it is likely that the control f should work for search and f3 should work for repeat search. We'll see.

I'm sorry I didn't realize that Notepad ++ was being discussed.

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 7:24 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

I am running the latest stable version 7.9.1

1. I use ctrl f to search for something, and I know that that part of
text exist more than one time in that document.

2. then I press F3 to jump to next result

3. NVDA said no more search result in this direction, but actually the
focus has already jump to the new line that matches the search keyword

4. I try pressing ctrl home and start from the very begining, pressing
F3 do also speak no more search ....

I jump to end by ctrl End, then I press F3, NVDA just say the same, no
more search..... but did not have the sound that indicate no next search

result.

Do anyone has any idea about how to fix this?

Thanks,

William

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Well, Notepad Plus Plus finally updated on my computers. I do not see the issue described in the posts in this thread.  There is no change when I do a search using the Control + F keystroke. I am taken to the first instance of a result and pressing F3 takes me to the next instance and so on.

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 7:24 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

[...]

Hi, yes.

I am using 19.9 version, which supposed is the latest release.

Dave Grossoehme 於 17/11/2020 6:47 寫道:

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 7:24 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

I am running the latest stable version 7.9.1

1. I use ctrl f to search for something, and I know that that part of
text exist more than one time in that document.

2. then I press F3 to jump to next result

3. NVDA said no more search result in this direction, but actually the
focus has already jump to the new line that matches the search keyword

4. I try pressing ctrl home and start from the very begining, pressing
F3 do also speak no more search ....

I jump to end by ctrl End, then I press F3, NVDA just say the same, no
more search..... but did not have the sound that indicate no next search

result.

Do anyone  has any idea about how to fix this?

Thanks,

William

William Wong

Oh, I just tested out.

The problem that I mentioned here, after I disabled the notepad++ addon, the problem disappeared, i.e. search is done normally and will not speak no more search in this direction.

How can I inform the author about this issue?

I remembered that I have tried posting another issue to the github issue page, and seemed no feedback from author.

William 威 於 17/11/2020 21:18 寫道:

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 7:24 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 08:38 AM, William Wong wrote:
I remembered that I have tried posting another issue to the github issue page, and seemed no feedback from author.
-
One does not always (I'd say often) get direct feedback in response to a bug report.

https://github.com/derekriemer/nvda-notepadplusplus

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

William Wong

Hi Brian,

Do you mean it is better to post the issue on github?

Brian Vogel 於 17/11/2020 23:27 寫道:

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 12:08 AM, William Wong wrote:
Do you mean it is better to post the issue on github?
-
Yes.  That's the direct line to the add-on's developer.

While it doesn't hurt to ask about the experiences of others here, the only way that any issue is going to have a chance of being addressed is if the developer is aware of it.  Most don't read the NVDA Group routinely.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell