NVDA and OCR software

cisco

Hello everyone,

I do not know if this is a question better suited for the chat subgroup, if it is, please tell me.

If it’s ok to post it here, however, here it goes: if you use any kind of OCR solution that can open and OCR PDFS and acquire images from scanners, what would you recommend for efficient use with NvDA?

If that OCR had the ability to keep the formatting and layout of the document, that would be a much needed extra.

Thanks for any answer.

Best regards.

Francisco.

Jujube

I know PDF XChange Viewer is a free package with decent OCR capabilities and it can OCR PDF documents. If you're OCRing an image file like a .jpg, then I don't know.

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 1:27 PM cisco <audiogamer2004@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I do not know if this is a question better suited for the chat subgroup, if it is, please tell me.

If it’s ok to post it here, however, here it goes: if you use any kind of OCR solution that can open and OCR PDFS and acquire images from scanners, what would you recommend for efficient use with NvDA?

If that OCR had the ability to keep the formatting and layout of the document, that would be a much needed extra.

Thanks for any answer.

Best regards.

Francisco.

Rui Fontes

For a comercial product, FineReader 15...

For free software, NAPS2, with a user interface or command line, and also packaged in an add-on by me, at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez2r125eilvhzi9/NAPS2TesseractOCR_1.0_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=1

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team

Às 21:27 de 11/10/2021, cisco escreveu:

Hello everyone,

I do not know if this is a question better suited for the chat subgroup, if it is, please tell me.

If it’s ok to post it here, however, here it goes: if you use any kind of OCR solution that can open and OCR PDFS and acquire images from scanners, what would you recommend for efficient use with NvDA?

If that OCR had the ability to keep the formatting and layout of the document, that would be a much needed extra.

Thanks for any answer.

Best regards.

Francisco.

JM Casey

I’m one of those who uses Abbyy Finereader. Its actual editor doesn’t really seem all that usable, so if you need to make corrections and adjustments toa  document, it’s probably best to convert it to another format (which ABBYY can do with ease) and work in a word processor or something.

But the oCR is good and text recognitions seems really good, so I’m happy to have spent some cash on it.

I do not know if this is a question better suited for the chat subgroup, if it is, please tell me.

If it’s ok to post it here, however, here it goes: if you use any kind of OCR solution that can open and OCR PDFS and acquire images from scanners, what would you recommend for efficient use with NvDA?

If that OCR had the ability to keep the formatting and layout of the document, that would be a much needed extra.

Thanks for any answer.

Best regards.

Francisco.

To be honest, I quit abbyy fine reader 15 after some accessibility stuff appeared.

I did the thing and reported these in 14.

They knew they existed even reproduced the issue.

But those darn fakers didn't seem to be inclined to actually do anything.

They took ages to update and when they finally did nothing doing.

I asked them about it and admitted they were not fixed yet.

At which point I decided jam a screwdriver in their eyes and left in a huff.

I don't need to ocr that much, I mean I have old textcloaner which uses an outdated rediris engine.

I hadn't heard about snaps2 till today but I do have it and yeah it will work.

Its good there is an interface for tesseract and its opensource, and its portable if I want it.

On 12/10/2021 8:27 pm, JM Casey wrote:

[...]

Hello all,

Thanks for both the recommendations, the addon is the best solution for me, it’s the ideal one actually!

I do have a curiosity though: I tried FineReader 15, but it wasn’t accessible.

In fact, it didn’t show me the OCR results, and there were no menus to even try it.

Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Best regards.

Francisco.

[...]

Dave Grossoehme

This is great if you need to scan a document into a PDF.  However, is there any software or hardware/software that will take a PDF with a document that has beeen scanned into the PDF, and make that PDF of the scanned document be able to print.  I can use the windows OCR with NVDA to read the document, but can not print it.  Can you help me here?

Dave

On 10/11/2021 2:27 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:

[...]

The add-on makes the two things...

NVDA+Control+R, in a selected file in File Explorer, makes OCR to the file.

NVDA+Control+shift+R scans a paper document from the scanner...

Rui Fontes

Às 22:51 de 14/10/2021, Dave Grossoehme escreveu:

[...]

mike mcglashon

Quoting:

The add-on makes the two things...

End quote

To which add-on do you refer?

And,

Where can we get it?

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

[...]

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 05:51 PM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:
However, is there any software or hardware/software that will take a PDF with a document that has been scanned into the PDF, and make that PDF of the scanned document be able to print.
-
You need to give something more here.  You just print a PDF from any PDF reader or editor.  It doesn't matter one bit if it is an image scanned origin PDF or one that was created as a PDF to begin with.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Rui Fontes

It was just a question of reading some more lines...

Quoting myself:

For free software, NAPS2, with a user interface or command line, and also packaged in an add-on by me, at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez2r125eilvhzi9/NAPS2TesseractOCR_1.0_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=1

Rui Fontes

Às 23:03 de 14/10/2021, mike mcglashon escreveu:

Quoting:

[...]

Howard Traxler

This looks like an NVDA addon.  Is it also a command line OCR app? I don't find that.

Howard

On 10/14/2021 6:23 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:

[...]

It is a NVDA add-on that includes a command line OCR, NAPS2...

Às 02:41 de 15/10/2021, Howard Traxler escreveu:

[...]

Hello there,

I am having a problem with the NAPS2OCR addon: when I press ctrl+nvda+shift+r to scan a document from a scanner, nvda announces that the file couldn’t be recognized, though my scanner is plugged via USB to the pc and turned on.

Also, when I press the shortcut key to scan a file and I’m focused on it with file explorer and nvda, it says to wait, that the processing might take a few seconds, and stops there.

What could be causing this?

Thanks for any answer.

Best regards.

Francisco.

[...]

Christo de Klerk

Hi Rui

I have not been able to get the addon to perform OCR on image PDF files. It tells me that the process could take some seconds and after some seconds it says: "Error. The file could not be processed." This happens to all scanned PDF files I have tried. Do you perhaps have any thoughts as to what might cause the problem? This could be such a very handy addon.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2021/10/15 12:00am, Rui Fontes wrote:

[...]

Christo and Cisco, please send to rui.fontes@... a NVDA log...

Rui Fontes

Às 13:42 de 15/10/2021, Christo de Klerk escreveu:

[...]

Hi:  You are correct Bryan.  I didn't give all the information.  When I open the pdf, I was told that it didn't load completely.  So, I tried again.  Then I tried printing it and all I received was blank pages, checked by a sighted person.  Using Windows 21h2 with nvda 2021.2 and Firefox as well as Adobe Reader dc.  Yet I sent this email with attachment to my sighted son, who isn't running any screen reading equipment and he could open it with no problems.  I know it was an image, which had been scanned since I called the person who had sent it to me.

Dave

On 10/14/2021 3:07 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 05:51 PM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:
However, is there any software or hardware/software that will take a PDF with a document that has been scanned into the PDF, and make that PDF of the scanned document be able to print.
-
You need to give something more here.  You just print a PDF from any PDF reader or editor.  It doesn't matter one bit if it is an image scanned origin PDF or one that was created as a PDF to begin with.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 04:48 PM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

 When I open the pdf, I was told that it didn't load completely.  So, I tried again.  Then I tried printing it and all I received was blank pages, checked by a sighted person.  . . . Yet I sent this email with attachment to my sighted son, who isn't running any screen reading equipment and he could open it with no problems.

Dave

-
Then we are back to there is something wrong that is virtually certain to be limited to your computer, and I'd say most likely with your PDF reading software.

So, just as there is the consistent advice to "try another browser," when there are issues with a webpage, the same applies to PDF readers:  try another alternative.  Under Windows 10 the Edge browser itself does a bang-up job of opening PDFs, so I'd try opening that same document in Edge rather than Adobe Reader DC to see if the result is different.  If it is, then uninstall and reinstall Adobe Reader DC.  If it's not, then start doing the repair steps for Windows.

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon:  I can open other PDF files with Adobe with no problem.  It's just this file, which needs to be esigned, that is causing a problem.  That's what seemed to be questionable.

Dave

On 10/18/2021 3:33 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Gene

You say which needs to be esigned.  Does that mean scanned?  If you are printing it as an alternative, try opening the document and printing it in a browser such as Chrome, Edhge, Brave or Firefox.  I don’t know what is causing the problem but that may allow you to print it.