Topics

Nvda and Office 2016

Jarek.Krcmar

Hello group,

I have Nvda 2020 and Office 2016.

I have found a problem.

After starting word or excel, Nvda is silent.

I would like to know, where is an error.

Do you have an idea, please?

--
Jarek

did you try alt tab to go to another application, and alt tab again
for returning to your desired program?
i face this issue many times in firefox and alt tab solution work for me.

On 6/11/20, Jarek.Krcmar <Jarek.Krcmar@...> wrote:
Hello group,

I have Nvda 2020 and Office 2016.

I have found a problem.

After starting word or excel, Nvda is silent.

I would like to know, where is an error.

Do you have an idea, please?

--
Jarek

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

David Goldfield

I have occasionally encountered this problem and not just with NVDA as the screen reader. The alt-tab solution will certainly work. However, what usually works for me is to press the alt key twice. The first press will move focus to the ribbon and the second press returns focus to the document window and speech should behave as expected. The bottom line is that you want to move focus away from and then back to the document window. Alt-tab certainly does this but pressing either the alt or the Windows key twice will do the same thing and may be a tad easier and quicker.

On 6/11/2020 11:46 AM, zahra wrote:
did you try alt tab to go to another application, and alt tab again
for returning to your desired program?
i face this issue many times in firefox and alt tab solution work for me.

On 6/11/20, Jarek.Krcmar <Jarek.Krcmar@...> wrote:
Hello group,

I have Nvda 2020 and Office 2016.

I have found a problem.

After starting word or excel, Nvda is silent.

I would like to know, where is an error.

Do you have an idea, please?

--
Jarek

Quentin Christensen

If you press NVDA+N, then T, there is an option there in the Tools menu called "Run COM Registration fixing tool".  That can help in some situations.  Usually it's more when everything reports "unknown" but it could be worth a try here.

Otherwise, could you have any add-ons in Microsoft Office which might be stealing focus to an invisible window on startup?  I know DropBox was doing that at one point.  Some Anti-Virus programs have in the past as well.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Felix G.

Hi,
it's a known long-standing issue. The technical details are at:
Best,
Felix

Am Fr., 12. Juni 2020 um 02:04 Uhr schrieb Quentin Christensen
<quentin@...>:

[...]

Web: www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Jarek.Krcmar

Hi Group,

I am glad to write you, that an Office finaly works in Nvda.

I had to uninstall and reinstall Nvda.

Jarek

<quentin@...>:
[...]

I have tried to press Alt+Tab or onli Alt, but nothing worked. Therefore I uninstalled and installed Nvda again.

Jarek

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 12:01 PM, Jarek.Krcmar wrote:
I uninstalled and installed Nvda again.
Something that we tech geeks often advise.  It's probably second after, "Have you power cycled your machine?"  (And these days that question has to take Fast Startup into account, as a shutdown and restart no longer serves the purpose if it's turned on.)

Quentin Christensen

That's why I usually specify using "restart" as there are so many ways that users can "shut down" a machine that simply puts it into some kind of hibernation or sleep mode.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 07:19 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
That's why I usually specify using "restart" as there are so many ways that users can "shut down" a machine that simply puts it into some kind of hibernation or sleep mode.

I, too, have started to take this approach, as it's the only way to ensure that Windows 10 reloads from disc no matter how anything else is configured.

Jarek.Krcmar

Hi Quentyn,

I had to uninstall and install Nvda again, because when I started word, nothing sound has been heard.

After reinstalling Nvda is OK.

Jarek