NVDA and Outlook issue

Chris Tromborg

Edited

Hello, group:     

I am a long-time NVDA supporter and user.  For over a month, I have been participating in the NYPL classes featuring Chancy fleet that focus on introducing screen reader users to NVDA. 

Years ago, I used NVDA as a reliable portable speech program that could be loaded onto a thumb drive to be used when I was in the field and did not necessarily have access to a computer with speech already installed.  I thought so highly of NVDA that I became a monthly supporter, a commitment that I retain. 

I just joined this group and consequently noticed that there was a recent upgrade.  So, I installed the upgrade and now Outlook is angry with mefor being a way for so long. 

When I load Outlook, all seems normal.  However, whenever I attempt to reply, the program will not accept the characters: That key is not available or That function is not supported.  In any case, I cannot enter text into the Reply field.  Is there a setting that I am not aware of that must be invoked to correct this?  Any assistance will be appreciated. 

Chris Tromborg, Ph.D.

Mountain Lion Foundation

Feline Conservation Foundation

Behavioral Enrichment for Captive Animals

Animal Communication, Behavior, & Cognition

Feline Conservation & Biology

1-530-753-2763 Home

1-530-902-2763 Cell

cattromborg@...

www.christromborg.com

Sarah k Alawami

Try going in and out of focus mode. This is nvda plus space.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Tromborg
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2021 8:24 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Outlook issue

Hello, group:     

I am a long-time NVDA supporter and user.  For over a month, I have been participating in the NYPL classes featuring Chancy fleet that focus on introducing screen reader users to NVDA. 

Years ago, I used NVDA as a reliable portable speech program that could be loaded onto a thumb drive to be used when I was in the field and did not necessarily have access to a computer with speech already installed.  I thought so highly of NVDA that I became a monthly supporter, a commitment that I retain. 

I just joined this group and consequently noticed that there was a recent upgrade.  So, I installed the upgrade and now Outlook is angry with mefor being a way for so long. 

When I load Outlook, all seems normal.  However, whenever I attempt to reply, the program will not accept the characters: That key is not available or That function is not supported.  In any case, I cannot enter text into the Reply field.  Is there a setting that I am not aware of that must be invoked to correct this?  Any assistance will be appreciated. 

Chris Tromborg, Ph.D.

Mountain Lion Foundation

1-530-753-2763 Home

1-530-902-2763 Cell

cattromborg@...

www.christromborg.com

Chris Tromborg, Ph.D.

Mountain Lion Foundation

1-530-753-2763 Home

1-530-902-2763 Cell

cattromborg@...

www.christromborg.com

Chris,

Whether or not you intend to try reporting an issue via GitHub, following The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues
is a valuable thing to try just because it may allow you to isolate a possible cause.  I don't know what add-ons you may be using, but starting with add-ons disabled to see if one of them is playing up should be on your short list of diagnostic steps.

Someone else may have a very clear idea of what may be going on based on your description, but I don't.  But following those instructions allows you to get a much better handle on the situation and whether it's more likely to be NVDA-related or something else.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

~ John F. Kennedy

Robert Portal

If Sarah’s suggestion doesn’t work I find the problem described occurs if I hit ctl + r from within the message I want to reply to. If I tab up to the tool bar and press enter on Reply or press ctl + r on the e-mail highlighted in the list of posts I can write normally within the message field. I have Outlook 2015 on Windows 10.

Robert Portal

Da: nvda@nvda.groups.io Per conto di Sarah k Alawami
Inviato: dimanche 31 octobre 2021 16:32
A: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Oggetto: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Outlook issue

Try going in and out of focus mode. This is nvda plus space.

Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2021 8:24 AM

Hello, group:     

Chris Tromborg, Ph.D.

Mountain Lion Foundation

1-530-753-2763 Home

1-530-902-2763 Cell

cattromborg@...

www.christromborg.com

Chris Tromborg, Ph.D.

Mountain Lion Foundation

1-530-753-2763 Home

1-530-902-2763 Cell

cattromborg@...

www.christromborg.com

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Chris,

Try pressing the space bar when you are in the reply message area and see if that lets you type away.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2021 3:24 PM

Hello, group:     

Chris Tromborg, Ph.D.

Mountain Lion Foundation

1-530-753-2763 Home

1-530-902-2763 Cell

cattromborg@...

www.christromborg.com

Chris Tromborg, Ph.D.

Mountain Lion Foundation

1-530-753-2763 Home

1-530-902-2763 Cell

cattromborg@...

www.christromborg.com

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Chris Tromborg

Thanks for the ideas.  I restarted NVDA with the Add-Ons removed option and this fixed the problem.  After restarting the program cleanly the problem had completely disappeared. 

Chris Tromborg, Ph.D.

Mountain Lion Foundation

1-530-753-2763 Home

1-530-902-2763 Cell

cattromborg@...

www.christromborg.com

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2021 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Outlook issue

Chris,

Whether or not you intend to try reporting an issue via GitHub, following The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues
is a valuable thing to try just because it may allow you to isolate a possible cause.  I don't know what add-ons you may be using, but starting with add-ons disabled to see if one of them is playing up should be on your short list of diagnostic steps.

Someone else may have a very clear idea of what may be going on based on your description, but I don't.  But following those instructions allows you to get a much better handle on the situation and whether it's more likely to be NVDA-related or something else.
--

~ John F. Kennedy

Sarah k Alawami

Now it’s time to find out what add on broke your outlook. Try restarting with one add on at a time until you figure out what is the cause of the bug.

Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2021 2:01 PM

Thanks for the ideas.  I restarted NVDA with the Add-Ons removed option and this fixed the problem.  After restarting the program cleanly the problem had completely disappeared. 

Chris Tromborg, Ph.D.

Mountain Lion Foundation

1-530-753-2763 Home

1-530-902-2763 Cell

cattromborg@...

www.christromborg.com

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2021 8:34 AM

Chris,

--

~ John F. Kennedy