nvda and password fields

Michael Micallef at FITA

Dear nvda users,

I’m asking on behalf of a friend who is beginner in using nvda.

Can someone tell me where I can turn off the nvda feature of saying asterisk in the password prompts? My friend prefers to hear what she is typing in the password prompt.

Thank you

Regards,

Michael Micallef

ICT Accessibility IT Officer

Foundation for Information Technology Accessibility

+356 22768012

michael.micallef@gov.mt

www.fitamalta.eu

FITA Onda Buildings- 3rd Floor triq Aldo Moro

Marsa

MRS 9064, Malta

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

As this is quite a security risk, I suggest, instead, either turning off character echo if she already knows how to type, or leaving it as is.

The longer answer is that some password fields on some sites will have a box to show the password as it is being typed. This could be an option where it exists. But again, I really recommend your friend simply gets used to typing in passwords without the character feedback. In fact, I recommend most people disable character echo altogether, and either opt for no typing echo, or at least Word echo. The extra chatter simply isn't needed if the individual feels comfortable typing.

Thanks.

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 10:57 PM Michael Micallef at FITA <michael.micallef@...> wrote:

Dear nvda users,

I’m asking on behalf of a friend who is beginner in using nvda.

Can someone tell me where I can turn off the nvda feature of saying asterisk in the password prompts? My friend prefers to hear what she is typing in the password prompt.

Thank you

Regards,

2A448EAC

Michael Micallef

ICT Accessibility IT Officer

Foundation for Information Technology Accessibility

3441659A

+356 22768012

F78D0B8

michael.micallef@gov.mt

D21D4F86

www.fitamalta.eu

AD570D84

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Check out and subscribe to BlindTechAdventures in podcast audio form on YouTube for the latest happenings in tech.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Tyler Spivey

On 8/8/2022 11:15 PM, Nimer Jaber wrote:
Hello,
As this is quite a security risk, I suggest, instead, either turning off character echo if she already knows how to type, or leaving it as is.
The longer answer is that some password fields on some sites will have a box to show the password as it is being typed. This could be an option where it exists. But again, I really recommend your friend simply gets used to typing in passwords without the character feedback. In fact, I recommend most people disable character echo altogether, and either opt for no typing echo, or at least Word echo. The extra chatter simply isn't needed if the individual feels comfortable typing.
Thanks.
On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 10:57 PM Michael Micallef at FITA <michael.micallef@... <mailto:michael.micallef@...>> wrote:
Dear nvda users,____
__ __

3441659A____

+356 22768012____
F78D0B8____

_michael.micallef@... <mailto:michael.micallef@...>_____
D21D4F86____

www.fitamalta.eu
<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fitamalta.eu%2F&data=04%7C01%7Ccarlo.stivala.1%40gov.mt%7Cbcf5e57d092f4b21b2d108d945cef3d9%7C34cdd9f55db849bcacba01f65cca680d%7C0%7C0%7C637617578636490185%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=j0MNb5SpkRaMiK%2FihFcaNpbJKAiqRWaGp%2Fbvuk5dZDs%3D&reserved=0>____
AD570D84____

FITA Onda Buildings- 3rd Floor triq Aldo Moro ____
Marsa____
MRS 9064, Malta____
__ __
__ __
--
Best,
Nimer Jaber
Check out and subscribe to BlindTechAdventures <https://www.youtube.com/blindtechadventures> in podcast audio form on YouTube for the latest happenings in tech.
You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter <https://www.twitter.com/nimerjaber> for the latest technology news.
Thank you, and have a great day!

Brian's Mail list account

Yes, though for goodness sake do not have this enabled in a public place, since as has been stated, its a security risk. If you are in the bad habit of always using the same password, then expect to be hacked if you do!

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Arlene

That’s not a good idea to have any screen reader such as NVA announcing  letters of a password being said. Especially on a public computer.  You don’t know if anyone can see what she’s typing. They can  hear it to. If you are alone at home then its  okay to have your  password being said.  Your  friend is asking  for trouble if she’s using a public computer.

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 8/8/2022 11:15 PM, Nimer Jaber wrote:

> Hello,

> As this is quite a security risk, I suggest, instead, either turning off

> character echo if she already knows how to type, or leaving it as is.

> The longer answer is that some password fields on some sites will have a

> box to show the password as it is being typed. This could be an option

> where it exists. But again, I really recommend your friend simply gets

> used to typing in passwords without the character feedback. In fact, I

> recommend most people disable character echo altogether, and either opt

> for no typing echo, or at least Word echo. The extra chatter simply isn't

> needed if the individual feels comfortable typing.

> Thanks.

> On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 10:57 PM Michael Micallef at FITA

> <michael.micallef@... <mailto:michael.micallef@...>> wrote:

>     Dear nvda users,____

>     __ __

>     I’m asking on behalf of a friend who is beginner in using nvda.____

>     __ __

>     Can someone tell me where I can turn off the nvda feature of saying

>     asterisk in the password prompts? My friend prefers to hear what she

>     is typing in the password prompt.____

>     __ __

>     Thank you____

>     __ __

>     Regards,____

>     __ __

>     2A448EAC____

>     *Michael Micallef*____

>     ICT Accessibility IT Officer____

>     *Foundation for Information Technology Accessibility*____

>     3441659A____

>     +356 22768012____

>     F78D0B8____

>     _michael.micallef@... <mailto:michael.micallef@...>_____

>     D21D4F86____

>     www.fitamalta.eu

> <https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fitamalta.eu%2F&data=04%7C01%7Ccarlo.stivala.1%40gov.mt%7Cbcf5e57d092f4b21b2d108d945cef3d9%7C34cdd9f55db849bcacba01f65cca680d%7C0%7C0%7C637617578636490185%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=j0MNb5SpkRaMiK%2FihFcaNpbJKAiqRWaGp%2Fbvuk5dZDs%3D&reserved=0>____

>     AD570D84____

>     FITA Onda Buildings- 3rd Floor triq Aldo Moro ____

>     Marsa____

>     MRS 9064, Malta____

>     __ __

>     __ __

> --

> Best,

> Nimer Jaber

> Check out and subscribe to BlindTechAdventures

> <https://www.youtube.com/blindtechadventures> in podcast audio form on

> YouTube for the latest happenings in tech.

> You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter <https://www.twitter.com/nimerjaber>

> for the latest technology news.

> Thank you, and have a great day!

I will be the next person who discourages, strongly discourages, ever having one's passwords echoed while being entered.  When there was once talk of this becoming a setting I railed against it.

If either memory, typing, or both are an issue then it is far better to use a password manager that will enter it for you or where you can copy and paste the entire password.

         ~ Vance Packard

Luke Robinett

I use Google’s password manager and it works great