Nvda and the combibraille/braillewindow display

Marten Post Uiterweer

Hi,

I am using a Combibraille brailledisplay with Nvda. This display is also called a Braillewindow.
It is an verry old display and can only be connected by using
a serial connection, so I use a usb to serial converter and Brltty to get this display working.
The problem in Nvda is, dat the keys on the display are not working. When I use Brltty in debug mode, I can see, that the keys are working for Brltty, but Nvda will not recognize these.
is there a trick so I can also use the keys on this display? That would be verry nice.

Kind regards, Marten

Hi,
In order to "unlock" the keys on these displays, NV Access will need to take
a look at one of these displays and write a native NVDA braille display
driver for it. Certain BRLTTY keys aren't mapped to NVDA functions, hence
this issue.
Cheers,
Joseph

I am using a Combibraille brailledisplay with Nvda. This display is also
called a Braillewindow.
It is an verry old display and can only be connected by using a serial
connection, so I use a usb to serial converter and Brltty to get this
display working.
The problem in Nvda is, dat the keys on the display are not working. When I
use Brltty in debug mode, I can see, that the keys are working for Brltty,
but Nvda will not recognize these.
is there a trick so I can also use the keys on this display? That would be
verry nice.

Kind regards, Marten

Marten Post Uiterweer

Hi Joseph,

And how can I ask them to look at this?

Regards, Marten

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 09:26:43 -0800 "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Try sending an email to jamie@nvaccess.org requesting support for Braille
Window (If I can obtain support email address for Tieman, I'd be happy to do
this on your behalf).
Cheers,
Joseph

I am using a Combibraille brailledisplay with Nvda. This display is
also called a Braillewindow.
It is an verry old display and can only be connected by using a serial
connection, so I use a usb to serial converter and Brltty to get this
display working.
The problem in Nvda is, dat the keys on the display are not working.
When I use Brltty in debug mode, I can see, that the keys are working
for Brltty, but Nvda will not recognize these.
is there a trick so I can also use the keys on this display? That
would be verry nice.

Kind regards, Marten

Marten Post Uiterweer

hi Joseph,

I will write a mail to Jamie.

I don't think Tieman can help or want to help. Tieman is now Optelec. There e-mail address is info@optelec.nl

I have found, that Libbraille also has support for the combibraille
http://libbraille.org/display.php
Maybe you can find something there?
On www.libbraille.org I have seen, that it is software that supports more displays and has source code for different languages including Python.

Regards, Marten

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 15:08:04 -0800 "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

And due to recent merger, it might be a bit harder to receive help from
Optelec (I'm hoping I'm wrong) and due to the fact that this display is
quite old.
Cheers,
Joseph