Topics

nvda and volume change

Joe Paton

Good Afternoon,
When running NVDA windows 10 latest update, the volume on the second sound device, which is not used by nvda, is reduced by about ninety per cent almost not useable.

This is not set as the default device, I don't see why nvda should even look at this device.

This sound reduction does not happen with other screen readers.

any ideas please? most welcome.

Joe

Roger Stewart

Do you have audio ducking turned on? That could do what you are describing. Just use NVDA key plus shift and D to cycle through the ducking modes and set it to no ducking.  NVDA will indeed control and reduce the volume of any audio on any sound card it detects. But with no ducking selected, this won't happen at all.
Roger

On 10/7/2019 7:04 AM, Joe Paton wrote:
Good Afternoon,
When running NVDA windows 10 latest update, the volume on the second sound device, which is not used by nvda, is reduced by about ninety per cent almost not useable.

This is not set as the default device, I don't see why nvda should even look at this device.

This sound reduction does not happen with  other screen readers.

any ideas please? most welcome.

Joe

I sense that something's afoot here, as this topic, Volume issue, which is very similar in nature came up on the Chat Subgroup (even though it would have been fine here - I hasten to add) several days ago.

I zeroed in on the same likely potential cause as Mr. Stewart.  There was never any confirmation regarding whether ducking was involved, though.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Quentin Christensen

I'm not aware of an issue - I too would assume that audio ducking is enabled, and, when disabled, should resolve the original poster's issue here.

Whether audio ducking was inadvertently turned on, or whether something else has happened would be good to find out - obviously especially if there is a problem, but either way, it's always good to find out.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager