Topics

NVDA announcing new opened windows

Janet Brandly

Hello all,

Is there an NVDA setting which will have NVDA make a sound when a new window is opened? For example, it would be helpful if, when launching Firefox,  NVDA would make a sound when the window is open. Right now, I wait a few seconds and alt-tab around to see if a new window has opened. Window-Eyes used to do this and it was a great feature.

Thanks,

Janet

Sarah k Alawami

I personally just wait until the new window gains focus. A sound would be nice, but for me not necessary. Is the window not gaining focus for you?

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.

to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and mixer. Thanks Restream staff.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 7 Nov 2019, at 8:22, Janet Brandly wrote:

Hello all,

Is there an NVDA setting which will have NVDA make a sound when a new window is opened? For example, it would be helpful if, when launching Firefox,  NVDA would make a sound when the window is open. Right now, I wait a few seconds and alt-tab around to see if a new window has opened. Window-Eyes used to do this and it was a great feature.

Thanks,

Janet

Florian Ionașcu

Hello Janet, I think it would be great.

La 07.11.2019 18:22, Janet Brandly a scris:

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

Cordelia Scharpf

Speaking of „announcing“ an opened window in Firefox, I have the impression that it occasionally takes quite long for NVDA to “focus”. Might there be some settings – in NVDA, Firefox or both – that can influence/expedite it? As a Braille display user, I would welcome an optional progress dot to ascertain whether or when that process is complete.

Thanks.

Cordelia  

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Florian Iona?cu
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 5:43 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [Spam] Re: [nvda] NVDA announcing new opened windows

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

Rui Fontes

Why not using the Windows sounds?

Rui Fontes

Às 16:43 de 07/11/2019, Florian Ionașcu escreveu:

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

Cordelia Scharpf

If they are available, yes, but an optional tactile indicator would be helpful for those of us who either don‘t want to deal with too many audio cues or can‘t hear too well.

Cohn, Jonathan

Hello,

You can set up Windows 10 to do this.  In the sound schemes area, but it does get quite annoying in my view.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Janet Brandly via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, November 7, 2019 11:23 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA announcing new opened windows

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

Desert Moon

Hello Janet and list,

I have the Extra Sounds Add-in for Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/extra-sounds/

Nothing to set up or configure.

Every time a webpage has been loaded, I will hear a "ding" sound.

--
Desert

Janet Brandly

Hi,

That’s exactly what I’m looking for, thanks.

Janet

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Desert Moon via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, November 8, 2019 10:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA announcing new opened windows

Hello Janet and list,

I have the Extra Sounds Add-in for Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/extra-sounds/

Nothing to set up or configure.

Every time a webpage has been loaded, I will hear a "ding" sound.

--
Desert