From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sharad Koirala
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 9:13 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA announcing teams alerts

hi friends
greetings from Nepal,

can we stop nvda from announcing the ms teams alerts while we are in a meeting?

thank you,
--
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer

Arlene

Hi Sharon and Sarah, what I did was exit NVDa while I was in a meeting. When I wanted out I would start it or Jaws to exit the meeting. I myself would just go into the settings and find all this out. I’ve used my I pad to go into a meeting and just double tap to turn off speech. I prefer using the I pad for those kinds of meetings. Each to their own.  If I use this computer I exit the screen reader so I do not hear so and so entered the room or left.  Same with the I phone. I just double tap and that turns off speech. I don’t know how you’d do it on a tablet that’s not apple.  Or google phone.

Sent from Mail for Windows

can we stop nvda from announcing the ms teams alerts while we are in a meeting?

thank you,

--

Dr. Sharad Koirala

Lecturer

Department of Community Medicine

Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

Gene

You don't  have to exit NVdA.  Use the command NVDA s to stop speech.  Press NVDA s twice to turn speech on again.

Gene

On 1/21/2022 12:32 AM, Arlene wrote:

[...]

Sharad Koirala

thanks for the tip on nvda speech.
but, in my case I am supposed to give lectures from ppt slides to my
class in the teams, so switching the nvda speech off is out of my
choices.

You don't  have to exit NVdA.  Use the command NVDA s to stop speech.
Press NVDA s twice to turn speech on again.

Gene

On 1/21/2022 12:32 AM, Arlene wrote:

Hi Sharon and Sarah, what I did was exit NVDa while I was in a
meeting. When I wanted out I would start it or Jaws to exit the
meeting. I myself would just go into the settings and find all this
out. I’ve used my I pad to go into a meeting and just double tap to
turn off speech. I prefer using the I pad for those kinds of meetings.
Each to their own.  If I use this computer I exit the screen reader so
I do not hear so and so entered the room or left.  Same with the I
phone. I just double tap and that turns off speech. I don’t know how
you’d do it on a tablet that’s not apple.  Or google phone.

Windows

can we stop nvda from announcing the ms teams alerts while we are in a
meeting?

thank you,

--

Dr. Sharad Koirala

Lecturer

Department of Community Medicine

Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

--
Dr. Sharad Koirala
Lecturer
Department of Community Medicine
Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara, Nepal

Sarah k Alawami

If you want to turn off speech in nvda you can hit nvda plus s (laptop mode) to cycle through the choices, or listen to the beeps, they are not that  bad.

Good luck.

[...]

Hai Nguyen Ly

Good afternoon:

Based on the Microsoft 365 roadmap for Teams at the following link, this functionality should be arriving sometime in February. It’s not entirely clear whether this will also cover the types of alerts that you reference in your message, however I”m hopeful as this functionality exists in Zoom.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=87452

In the meantime, the following article outlines some step-by-step instructions for controlling your notifications and sounds in Teams using methods that are currently available.

Hai

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

Turning off speech is not a viable solution in many cases. I sometimes need to type into chat and at times, swap to another program like powerpoint. We need a better solution.

Pranav

Arlene

You know, I never even thought of that.  If you do power point or other things. There should be a way to stop any screen reader from reading who comes and goes.  I’m sure the sighted folk get tired of seeing that on the screen that’s why the screen reader announces that.

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 2022-01-22 12:24, Gene via groups.io wrote:
There is no reason to believe sighted people get tired of seeing it. They can ignore the display if they want.  Sight is not necessarily analogous to sound.  A stock ticker on a web page, if a screen-=-reader constantly speaks the updates would be so distracting and interfere so much with listening to other content that the page couldn't be used.  A sighted person can simply not look at the ticker.
That's true to a very large extent. But sighted people are quite sensitive to visual movement. So if the stock ticker is mostly not changing, there's not much distraction. But if it's changing all the time, and especially if it's changing strongly or in unexpected ways, then it can be really quite distracting.

Regards, Martin.

Sharad Koirala

hi,

for the sighted folks, the alerts are shown only when they are in the
teams window, but for us it is spoken even when we are in the
powerpoint window..
and thats where the problem comes.

thanks.

On 2022-01-22 12:24, Gene via groups.io wrote:
[...]

This sounds like the same kind of problem that exists in Chrome browsers.  It doesn't matter what window you are in, if you are downloading a file, download progress messages are announced. There needs to be a way for screen-readers to turn off forced speech.  I don't know the various ways speech can be forced but screen-readers should have ways to stop it that the user can control.

Gene

On 2022-01-22 12:24, Gene via groups.io wrote:
There is no reason to believe sighted people get tired of seeing it.
They can ignore the display if they want.  Sight is not necessarily
analogous to sound.  A stock ticker on a web page, if a screen-=-reader
constantly speaks the updates would be so distracting and interfere so
much with listening to other content that the page couldn't be used.  A
sighted person can simply not look at the ticker.
That's true to a very large extent. But sighted people are quite
sensitive to visual movement. So if the stock ticker is mostly not
changing, there's not much distraction. But if it's changing all the
time, and especially if it's changing strongly or in unexpected ways,
then it can be really quite distracting.

Regards, Martin.

Sarah k Alawami

Is then sounds like an electron issue. Is there a work around for that? Teams is built off of the electron platform which is why I ask.