Topics

NVDA, Braille display, and Lenovo laptop

JM Casey

Hey folks.

I’m running a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop with Windows 10 2004, and NVDA is updated to latest stable channel build. I’ve got a Focus Braille display  attached to the computer via USB (no bluetooth adaptor currently in the computer).

The laptop is a new acquisition for me and being semi-mobile with a  braille display and a tool to read and write on is one of the chief reasons I got the thing. I do a fair amount of reading of documents, books, easearch materials and so on. I usually convert everything to plain text and read in notepad, which has worked fine on my desktop. However, the laptop does not count reading on a braille display as “activity”, it seems, and goes to sleep after several minutes. I’ve adjusted the time factor, but I’m wondering if there is any way I can convince the computer that reading on the display counts as “activity”, since I do appreciate these battery saving features and so on, but it’s annoying when after ten or fifteen m inutes of reading the machine just needs to be reawoken, re-signed in, etc. I know this wouldn’t happen if I had the computer perform some simple task like playing music or something, but I feel like I shouldn’t *have* to do this or tap on the keyboard every so often just to let it now to stay awake. Any ideas?

Again, I’m aware that I could just increase the time alotment or even tell it never to go to sleep, but I’m wondering if there’s a way I can take advantage of these power-saving features somewhat and still get what I want?

Jason White

You might be able to set the cursor to follow the braille display as you read, which would send cursor movement events to the application and therefore keep the system from suspending.

On 6/20/20 12:40 PM, JM Casey wrote:

[...]

hi.
my comment is not related to your issue.
but someone recommended me a lenovo thinkpad laptop!
whats your idea?
may i know which model do you use exactly?
if yours is lenovo thinkpad l 540,
please email me off list.
thanks and God bless you!

--