Topics

NVDA, BrightSpace, Medical Transcription platforms

Janet Brandly

Hello all,

I’m not really sure where to post this message, so if it would be more appropriate for the Chat list please let me know

I am considering taking a medical transcription refresher course from a local career college. At least 2 blind/visually impaired students have gone through the program successfully and found gainful employment. The 1 totally blind student used JAWS. For financial and philosophical reasons, I really do not want to use JAWS. However, I’d like to know whether between NVDA and Narrator, I could accomplish the same tasks. Legally, a program or employer cannot dictate which screen reader I use, just as they cannot dictate which brand of glasses a person chooses to wear. However, I anticipate  lot of pushback so I’d like to get as much information/ammunition as possible.

The education software the transcription course uses is called Brightspace. I did some preliminary research. The website talks about the software being accessible to screen readers and talks about their ongoing commitment to accessibility. Has anyone used this software with NVDA? If so, what were your experiences?

One area of difficulty the blind student found was differentiating different colors in Word documents. Apparently, JAWS cannot do this. assignments and reports are done in Word and corrections added in a different color. Can NVDA distinguish print in different colors in Word documents? If not, is there a workaround? The student using JAWS said that she was able to come up with one.

All course texts and reference materials are provided in PDFs. How does NVDA do with large PDFs? I believe they contain links etc. for navigation.

Are there any controls JAWS recognizes that NVDA does not? Most research is done on the Internet. Are there types of controls and websites that JAWS handles but NVDA does not?

The transcription platforms mentioned by the student I spoke with provide specific training for JAWS users. I assume that, although the keyboard commands would be different,  this information would be transferable to NVDA. Accessible software should be usable by all screen readers, not just JAWS.

I am not familiar with Narrator but am prepared to learn it if I could do the work with it alongside NVDA. Does anyone have thoughts as to how this might work?

I understand that one can obtain a free license for JAWS, at least for now. However, the cost of maintaining this software is prohibitive. I have to pay my own costs. I will do this if absolutely necessary but really prefer not to. I would be willing to pay somebody to assist me with NVDA and/or Narrator, as long as the outcome would be worthwhile.

Thank you for answering all my questions, I really appreciate your time.

Sincerely,

Janet Brandly

I have not used Narrator, but if using it alongside

luke scholey

It is 99% accessible yes. Better on a laptop than a phone. You can get NVDA to read out colours in word or you can get the marker to mark your work differently for example enclosing comments in * so you can find them easy.
Luke