NVDA Configuration Profiles

Lexi

Hello everyone, can someone please explain to me what an NVDA profile is and how they work? Can you all also explain how to create a profile in NVDA? I'm still not the best at using NVDA. So detail is key I think. Thank you all in advance.--
Please be blessed and be safe. Thank you,
Lexi

Fawaz Abdul rahman

Hi,
I would recommend reading section 12.4 of the NVDA user guide which is the first option of the help menu.
Basically, you can have different configurations based on the app you are using or manual change.
Imagine that you move to a writing app, you get different TTS, different speed, different typing feedback than for instance a gaming platform.
or you can use the manual change when you need a certain configuration in a certain time only, so you can make a profile give it a hotkey (NVDA+shift+1) for example, once you press the given hotkey, you get all the configurations you have set previously.
good luck.

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 3:43 PM Lexi <alexiscooks836@...> wrote:
Hello everyone, can someone please explain to me what an NVDA profile is and how they work? Can you all also explain how to create a profile in NVDA? I'm still not the best at using NVDA. So detail is key I think. Thank you all in advance.--
Lexi

Every NVDA user needs to know how to do two basic things when almost any question arises.  The one you want really depends on the exact nature of the question:

1.        Bring up the NVDA Commands Quick Reference:  NVDA + N, H, Q  [NVDA Menu, Help, Commands Quick Reference]

2.      Bring up the NVDA User Guide:  NVDA + N, H, U   [NVDA Menu, Help, User Guide]

If you already know how to search a webpage (as these documents come up in your default web browser) then search away. 

Mr. Rahman has given the best advice and that's to look at Section 12.4 of the NVDA User Guide and then start playing around with various configuration tweaks on top of a "throw away" application like Notepad where you know that the changes that you're making are not going to screw up how NVDA is working for you in any other application.  Once you have a much better idea of how things work from playing around with them, then you start making real configuration profiles for applications where you want specific changes in NVDA behavior to take effect.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Quentin Christensen

Hi Lexi,

We included an article on Configuration Profiles in our In-Process blog a few months ago: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-19th-august-2021/#Profiles

There is also a walkthrough of it in the "Basic Training for NVDA" module available from: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/ (in electronic text, audio or braille).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 11:43 PM Lexi <alexiscooks836@...> wrote:
Lexi

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager