From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ron
Canazzi
Sent: June-03-16 12:57 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Curiosity

Hi Carlos,

Yes, you are right. For sentimental reason, I kept an old XP SP3
system--mostly for storage and because I finagled a way to play some DOS
games on it through the command line structure. But just this past
week, the old faithful gave up the ghost: some sort of motherboard issue
as well as a shaky hard drive. So I decided to replace it with a
reconditioned Windows 7 Home Premium system for about $125 plus tax. I
am used to having tons of back-ups in the event of a calamity so I am
comfortable with 3 computers: my 2 Windows 8 systems (one to be upgraded
shortly to ten or when I get the nerve) and the old XP system, now to be
replaced with the Windows 7 reconditioned box. Oh for the tragedy of
not hearing that old XP boot sound! I know you can configure the new
system with the old sounds--but just like dating a blonde you really
liked and then when she dumps you dating another blonde; it's really not
quite the same <laugh>!

...And so it goes.

On 6/3/2016 2:49 PM, Carlos wrote:
Hello:

The newer the PC/machine; the less problems are encountered with
new software!

At some point some NVDA users will be hit with the reality that
Windows XP has lived a very very long life and wants to retire/be left
alone!

There are a number of charitable organizations/groups that sell
rebuilt PC's at economical prices that at least run Windows 7.

There are a number of software developers that warn customers that
their software no longer will support vintage PC's!

So, if users insist on continued usage of old PC's/machines. Then
don't complain/whine when operating systems/software does not run
correctly on your machines!

Yes! I do sound like an old curmudgeon! And, I'm very proud to
represent my age group! (55 Years and above)

On 6/3/2016 11:29 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
I'm having no problems with the newest nvda and I use Firefox and
Thunderbird--no issues at all.

Roger

On 6/3/2016 1:01 PM, Chris Shook wrote:
This goes along with my last post labeled NVDA devils advocate.
Over the last few days, I've noticed a lot of people pointing out
issues with the latest version of NVDA.
For a little perspective, how many people are not having these issues.
So far, everything has worked fine for me.
Is there any one else that is not having any problems with NVDA 2016.2?
Chris

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

YYeah same here, the only issue I am having is the espeak squisher issue and its not uber bad like I want to chuck the computer into hell and buy jaws, its just a slight accent squish that I think they will get fixed its probably something wrong with the phonem data than anything else since thats what it sounds like.

On 4/06/2016 6:29 a.m., Roger Stewart wrote:
I'm having no problems with the newest nvda and I use Firefox and
Thunderbird--no issues at all.

Roger

On 6/3/2016 1:01 PM, Chris Shook wrote:
This goes along with my last post labeled NVDA devils advocate.
Over the last few days, I've noticed a lot of people pointing out
issues with the latest version of NVDA.
For a little perspective, how many people are not having these issues.
So far, everything has worked fine for me.
Is there any one else that is not having any problems with NVDA 2016.2?
Chris

.

Kwork

Yep, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's great to see some
praise and positivity around here amidst that "things don't work for me"
posts. That's why I was happy to answer and say that things are working so
far from my perspective. Now, if it happened all the time, it would get a
bit much, but let's not rain on the parade of those wanting to report
something good for a change.
Travis

Just to clarify, I only asked how many people were not having problems
with the new NVDA because people that are having problems with the new
NVDA usually report them. I wanted to see if problems were just with a
few people or the majority.
Chris

Roger Stewart

I think that if all that is heard is one or two folks saying this isn't working right then it may appear there is a more or less serious bug in nvda. However, if many others say all is good (especially with the specific programs that are giving others trouble) then it would appear that isn't an nvda problem at all. This is not to "slap in the face" or deny that these problems don't exist, but just to get things into prospective so the real problems can be identified and fixed for the good of all.

Roger

On 6/3/2016 8:04 PM, Kwork wrote:
Yep, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's great to see some
praise and positivity around here amidst that "things don't work for me"
posts. That's why I was happy to answer and say that things are working so
far from my perspective. Now, if it happened all the time, it would get a
bit much, but let's not rain on the parade of those wanting to report
something good for a change.
Travis
Just to clarify, I only asked how many people were not having problems
with the new NVDA because people that are having problems with the new
NVDA usually report them. I wanted to see if problems were just with a
few people or the majority.
Chris

Ron Canazzi

Hi Arlene,

Ah yes, but I saved all the XP sounds and if you put them in your /windows/media folder in Windows 7, you could--if you wish--assign the sounds as such in Windows 7.

On 6/3/2016 8:22 PM, Arlene wrote:
No, You can't put the start sound that xp used at start up. I like the
sound start up for windows 7. Does ten have that same sound at start up like
you would in 7?

[...]

Chris Shook <chris0309@...>

That was the idea behind starting this thread.
I posted it because I may be a little bias because I love NVDA. I especially love the report spelling errors when typing. It really cuts down on spell checker.
I also know that we have some developers that read this forem. and I thought it may be a good way for them to obtain information.
Chris

Arlene

Oh, well I was told you can't change the start sound as windows opens. I
had a friend who wanted to do that. but couldn't do it for some reason.
Just the same. I like the start up sound for 7. I think I heard someone say
vista had that sound then it went to 7. Does Ten have that sound like 7
does?

[...]

Arlene,
Windows 10 doesn't have a start up sound.
Chris

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Arleen,

Windows 10 doesn't have the startup sound. This computer was originally a
windows 7 computer. When I upgraded to windows 10, I unchecked the fast
startup so I got the windows 7 startup back.

Rosemarie

[...]

I'm not having any problems with NVDA 2016.2. It's working great here on my
end.

I am not having any issues with nvda 2016.2 every version I have not
yet encountered any issues.
Brian Sackrider

On 6/3/2016 2:01 PM, Chris Shook wrote:
This goes along with my last post labeled NVDA devils advocate.
Over the last few days, I've noticed a lot of people pointing out
issues with the latest version of NVDA.
For a little perspective, how many people are not having these issues.
So far, everything has worked fine for me.
Is there any one else that is not having any problems with NVDA 2016.2?
Chris

Aravind R

here also no issue.
i'm using windows7 with nvda 2016 and no issue in browsing mode. in ms
word latest version, i have to check.

On 6/4/16, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm not having any problems with NVDA 2016.2. It's working great here on my
end.

I am not having any issues with nvda 2016.2 every version I have not
yet encountered any issues.
Brian Sackrider

On 6/3/2016 2:01 PM, Chris Shook wrote:
This goes along with my last post labeled NVDA devils advocate.
Over the last few days, I've noticed a lot of people pointing out
issues with the latest version of NVDA.
For a little perspective, how many people are not having these issues.
So far, everything has worked fine for me.
Is there any one else that is not having any problems with NVDA 2016.2?
Chris

r. aravind,

Assistant manager
Department of sales
mobile no: +91 9940369593, 9710945613.
email id : aravind_069@yahoo.com, aravind.andhrabank@gmail.com.

Gene

According to what I've seen on another list, it does have one.  But because of the quick boot feature, you won't hear it unless you do a full reboot if you have quick boot enabled.  That's because a quick boot is not a full boot from Windows being completely unloaded where as a reboot is.

I've also seen comments that the Windows 10 boot up sound can be changed but it requires making a change in the registry.

Gene