From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Aschalew Byness
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2020 12:53 AM
To: nvda <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] nvda +D = long description

Hi friends
May you explain to me what long description
NVDA+d means? When I read the nvda user guide, i couldn't understand
what long description
NVDA+d means and its use.

Gene

This appears to be an accessibility feature for blind users some web site developers implement. Let's say you are on something, that is usually a graphic, as the manual says and you want to see if there is more description available than you hear, if you hear any. Issuing the long description command will open a new window and display that longer description provided by the site designer.

May you explain to me what long description
NVDA+d means? When I read the nvda user guide, i couldn't understand
what long description
NVDA+d means and its use.

Rob Hudson

I've never actually seen one of those. Although I do not believe NVDA indicates when a longdesc is actually available, does it?

A long description (often shortened to "longdesc") is used by web authors to provide additional details about a web element (typically images) via a dedicated description. As such, it is employed in browse mode only.
Cheers,
Jsoeph

May you explain to me what long description
NVDA+d means? When I read the nvda user guide, i couldn't understand
what long description
NVDA+d means and its use.

Gene

There is a command NVDA key d that will open the long description in a new window.