NVDA does not read the context menu in the Edge browser

Brian Sackrider

When I press shift 10 in the edge brouser to actavate the context menu it does not read it and I am not able to down arrow through the menu.  I have tried to do this with brouse mode both on and off.  I have also tried narator and I got the same results.  I have called the microsoft accessability answer desk and my case has been escelated.  When they remoted my pc using quick assist they were able to open the context menu and down arrow through it.  My sighted friend tried to open the context menu in edge with no screen reader turned on and he was able to open the context menu and down arrow through it.  I only have this issue with the edge brouser and not with any other brouser.  If I use ie chrome or fire fox I am able to open the context menu and down arrow through it.  It's seems that edge is not recignizing the shift 10 command.  Could it be a problem with the ui not being programed to recignize this command?  Microsoft does need to fix this problem before they turn off ie for good.

Brian Sackrider

This may be an Edge error, or it could be an NVDA error.

I just tried this and while SHIFT+F10 definitely brings up the context menu when NVDA is running, focus does not shift to it, but remains on the page in Edge itself.  This is not the case when NVDA is off.  If I do SHIFT+F10 without NVDA running, and hit either up or down arrow, I am traversing the context menu.

It's not clear to me if this is an NVDA bug or an Edge bug.  But since you say you get the same misbehavior with Narrator, I suspect that something is not being exposed to the screen reader by Edge that should be that allows the screen reader to have focus set in the Context Menu when it appears.  I don't have JAWS on this machine, or I'd try a quick test with it.  I suspect the same issue would present itself, which would really point the finger at Edge (or something in Windows that Edge depends upon for context menu presentation).

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

I don't have this problem using Edge with Windows 7.  I doubt this is an NVDA problem.

Gene

On 6/18/2021 10:21 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Blake Roberts <BEarlRoberts@...>

I can confirm Mr.Sackrider's problem accessing the Microsoft Edge context menu with shift-f10. Summarizing my problem report submitted this morning to Microsoft (help, feedback): I'm running the latest update to Chromium-based Edge browser on Windows 10 version 21H1. The menu accessible with shift+f10 does not appear when I'm using Narrator or NVDA. It only comes up when I use JAWS screen reader.

Due to similar behavior with Narrator, this does not appear to be a NVDA-specific issue. Suggestion to the original poster: I suggest trying Google Chrome browser as an alternative to Edge.

Blake

On 6/18/2021 11:21 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

tim

Now sometimes the list don't speak, but can always arrow down to what I need. Ben that way for the past year with NVDA and every update to current with all browsers.

So would say check your resolution Be surprised how much a change there will play with screen readers in the browser.

On 6/18/2021 11:04 PM, Brian Sackrider wrote:
[...]

In my case I can't down arrow to what I need it just gos out of the menu.

Brian Sackrider

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 12:14 PM, Brian Sackrider wrote:
In my case I can't down arrow to what I need it just gos out of the menu.
-
That's the behavior I'm seeing as well.  But "sighted guy hair splitting":  it never goes in to the context menu to begin with.  The menu appears, but focus is not given to it, so you get some "interesting" behavior on the web page that underlays the context menu when you start arrowing around, too.

I do not recall this behavior having been present in the past, and have to believe it's come in after Version 2004, but I'm not sure when.  If someone happens to be on Version 2004, would you test what you get in Edge when a context menu is popped up in the context of reading a webpage when NVDA is active?  Also, if it's not misbehaving, make note of what version of Edge you're running.

In my case I'm Win10 Version 21H1 with Edge version 91.0.864.48.

Interestingly, when I went to check version Edge was due to be updated, and it has been to Edge Version 91.0.864.54.  After this update, the behavior changes in that if I hit SHIFT+F10 to bring up a context menu hitting down arrow does bring me into that menu with focus on the first item at the top.  That's the only way to get in, though, if you use up arrow hoping to enter from the bottom and the last item, that doesn't work.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Blake Roberts <BEarlRoberts@...>

The strange  behavior described by others regarding the context menu being problematic occurs for me even though I'm running the most recent version of Microsoft Edge, 91.0.864.54. And yes, I pressed the *down* arrow not up arrow. I'm running Windows 10 21H1 OS build 19043.105.

Blake

On 6/19/2021 12:29 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 01:17 PM, Blake Roberts wrote:
build 19043.105
-
I presume you mean dot 1052.

In any case:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

and if that doesn't work:

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

All it takes is some small something to "be off" in Windows itself, that whatever program depends upon (whether that's Edge or something else), for weirdness to ensue.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Brian Sackrider

I justgot a call back from the disability answer desk and the guy told me to do a clean install of my windows or use the nvda redgistery tool.  I told him that other peoplealso are having this problem so it's not mywindows or my nvda it is on their end.  He kept on trying to get me to do what he said but I told him that I will not do that.  If they don't want to fix the problem that this just proves once and for all that microsoft does not care one bit about accessability.  When they turn off ie next year you will not be able to down load anything using their brouser.  I hope that they are proud ofthemselves for not caring enough to fix the problem of the context menu not reading in the edge brouser.  We nownot to expect any real accessability from now on.  They are saying it's your problem not ours.  When we call them to tell them of an accessability issue we will be told thats our problem not ours.  I don't have any respect for them at all.  If they would have told me that they are awhear of the problem and they are working on a sulution that would be a different story but that is not the case.  Thats your dumb forigeners for you they are to bit and lazy and incompatent their programers are a joke whear did they get their degree?  Out of a cracker jack box.

Brian Sackrider

Brian,

You really, really need to get a more mature approach.

If a tech support person asks you to do something that's non-damaging, and running the COM Registration Fixing Tool is, and so is doing at least a repair install of Windows 10, then you do it.

Those of us who do this for a living cannot divine, out of thin air, why certain errors are occurring.  Those who are having them, and reporting them, have obligations toward assisting in the effort to get a solution.  I have said the following many times, and not just in the context of Microsoft, and it applies in spades here:

It is impossible to help individuals who will not listen to advice unless they like that advice. Being a good assistant is not about making the person assisted "feel good," but about both asking the right (and sometimes hard) questions as well as giving the information necessary to achieve the desired result. Getting help is a two-way street, and those asking for help have work they must do, too, when asked. They also need to be ready to let go of what they'd like to do, and instead do what's been asked for by the person offering assistance.

               Those receiving assistance are free to reject advice, you are also entitled to ask for clarification, but if you don’t want to do what your assistant is asking, then state that so that you can both can move along.  Assistants have every right to assist as they see fit, and those being assisted to either follow or reject the option(s) presented.  An assistant is within their rights to withdraw support at any time, for any reason.

It is inane, and willfully stupid, to make the statement that Microsoft has not shown an ever increasing commitment to accessibility.  Period, end of sentence.

And solutions to bugs such as this are often at the next patch Tuesday once the root cause has been determined, or the next release of Edge.  It's not, nor should it be expected to be, "in a few days, at most."  That's not how software development cycles work.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

The disability answer desk has nothing to do with Microsoft’s department that corrects problems with accessibility and works on accessibility in general.  they help blind people do things such as install programs or try to solve problems with programs.  the competence of the techs seems to vary widely, according to reports I’ve heard.  Support staff are never to be trusted implicitly.  I try to avoid dealing with support staff but when I have, with various companies, I find I am given incorrect information enough that I don’t believe anything that doesn’t sound correct to me without further investigation.

Microsoft does put a good deal of work into accessibility.  If you want to report this problem to the department that is responsible for accessibility, I would imagine someone can give you information about that.  But your general comments about Microsoft are just plain wrong.

While I expect this problem to be corrected, it is not true that you need to use the context menu to download using the browser.  I almost never use it.  And there are some sites that you can’t download from using the context menu because of the way the sites work so you neede to know the other way.  If you want, I will explain the other method which is the far more generally used one.

Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 5:54 PM
Subject: [nvda] I don't think that microsoft wants to fixt the problem with the context menu in the edge brouser

[...]

dennis huckle

Very strange to me Jean.

I feel sure I always open the context menu by the usual method of shift f 10 or am I getting something wrong.

Exactly what is it you or others want to achieve.

It would be difficult for me to show what the context menu gives me in edge so I can only do my best to explain

Kind regards,

Dennis huckle.

Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 5:54 PM

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 07:45 PM, dennis huckle wrote:
I feel sure I always open the context menu by the usual method of shift f 10 or am I getting something wrong.
-
Dennis,

You're getting a couple of things wrong here.  No one has claimed (except, perhaps at the outset, and reasonably since it cannot be seen) that the Context Menu in Edge cannot be opened with SHIFT+F10, because it can.

The issue is that, for some odd reason, in Edge, screen reader focus is not thrown into the context menu itself when you hit your first down arrow after having opened it with SHIFT+F10.  I can replicate that problem, and it was not always there.

And since Mr. Sackrider reports the same lack of focus is occurring when using Narrator, not just when using NVDA, it certainly appears to be a bug of some kind having crept into either Edge proper or something in Windows that's responsible for exposing the context menu that Edge has opened to the screen reader for traversal.  It's a regression bug of some sort, since the problem was absent in the past, and had been absent as far as I know from the introduction of Chromium-based Edge.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

A problem has been reported on the list that, recently, the context menu doesn’t open properly so screen-readers can’t see it.  I’m not sure if it doesn’t open properly or for some reason, the screen-reader doesn’t move to it.  this seems to be a problem that has occurred more or less within the last week since it first was discussed about a week ago.  I don’t think it is understood whether this is a problem with Edge or with Windows 10 but it evidently is related to a recent update of something.

Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 5:54 PM

[...]

By the way, I had a completely unrelated problem, but this afternoon I decided to run SFC followed by DISM in hopes of solving it, using these instructions:

Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

SFC found a corruption that it corrected.  DISM ran clean afterward.  I have since restarted my computer.

I just tried to replicate the issue in Edge with the context menu not reading, and now I cannot; it's reading just fine.  This could be a coincidence, or it could be that whatever it was that introduced this issue is also what introduced the corruption that SFC found and fixed.

Thus, I'd recommend doing an SFC and DISM pair, restarting, and checking again to see if that happens to fix the problem.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Blake Roberts <BEarlRoberts@...>

As I mentioned previously, I also experience the context-menu issue using the current version of Microsoft Edge. I reported the issue to Microsoft several days ago using help/send feedback in the browser.

Whether Microsoft fixes this issue or not, there is a simple solution to the context-menu problem which Mr. Sackrider and anyone else can implement immediately. I myself chose to stop using Microsoft Edge months ago for a different reason. I switched back to using Google Chrome browser, which I already installed on my computer years ago. Chromium-based Edge is similar to Google Chrome, though not identical. the context-menu functions correctly on my system when Google Chrome is used. If you don't want to download Google's browser, I would suggest trying Firefox. There may very well be other accessible web browsers useable with NVDA which I have not tried yet.

Regarding downloads: I have never used the context menu to access downloads. When I want to download a file, I press enter on it. To see download progress, I press alt+f for file then select downloads. In either chromium-based Edge or Google Chrome, the keyboard shortcut to access the downloads menu is control+j.

In summary: I'll quote the assistive technology trainer who taught me how to use JAWS years ago. The advice applies equally to NVDA users. "When using Windows, there is usually more than one way to do something."

Blake

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 08:19 PM, Blake Roberts wrote:
The advice applies equally to NVDA users. "When using Windows, there is usually more than one way to do something."
-
Amen!!

And, as you've already pointed out, and I'm going to expound upon, there are also often multiple options as to what you're using.

When I got into "the blind tech biz" there was one, and only one, web browser that Freedom Scientific maintained screen reader compatibility with:  Internet Explorer.  In those days Firefox was on the ascendant and Chrome had not as yet really even entered the picture.  Time and circumstances forced Freedom Scientific, now Vispero, to expand JAWS accessibility support to other web browsers and, due to timing, Firefox and Chrome were the first few beneficiaries of that focus.  Since then, Chromium as the base code has "gone wild" and there are many other browsers than just the Google Chrome browser that are based on it.  These include, but are not limited to, Microsoft Edge, Brave, and Vivaldi (which, by the way, just introduced an e-mail client built in to the browser that is NOT webmail).  The beauty as far as accessibility goes is that Chromium is Chromium, so all of these browsers are screen reader accessible.

I have always told my students/clients who are learning a screen reader that they absolutely must have a secondary screen reader for use "in a pinch" when whatever your favorite screen reader happens to be cranky about playing with some particular thing.  If that person is a JAWS primary, I'd always recommend NVDA as the secondary, but the choice is yours, and Narrator is now a real choice as either a primary or secondary, and NVDA is, too.

The same principle applies to web browsers.  For who knows what reason(s) certain websites may not play well with a specific browser and/or a specific screen reader.  You need to be able to use more than one web browser.  If you happen to like any given one of the Chromium based browsers then working with any other is very largely a cinch.  Even moving over to Firefox in a pinch is not difficult, since the majority of commonly used commands/keyboard shortcuts, are identical.

You, the generic you, have no one but yourself to blame if you rigidly insist on single source for absolutely anything, and not just in the sphere of computing.  You have to have at least an option B, and preferably options C and D as well.  Something is guaranteed, at times, to go wrong with Option A.  When that happens it should not be more than a stumbling block, at worst, not an immovable object behind which you are stuck.  It is up to you to take the steps to develop other options (and at least basic skills with them, when that's necessary, and often it's not) for when you need them, because you will.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Brian Sackrider

    The guy from Microsoft did try a number of things to fix my problem but he could not fix my problem.  He did try the fsc scann now and he did a repear of both my windows and the edge brouser.  He did a reinstall of my windows but not a clean install of my windows.  He used the quick assist to remote me.  I have no problemwith waiting until the next version of edge comes out or for the next patch.  My problem is that I was told that microsoft is even working on the problem.  My only concerned is that the problem does get fixtbefore they turn of ie.  I never said that they chould fix the problem in the next few days or weeks but that are activlyare working on the problem.  mMy case has been sent to tear 2 so I will have to wait and see what they say about the problem.  I do hope that they do fix the problem before ie is no more.  Since I am not the only one with the problem the problem is not with my windows.  This iswhat is wrong with companies they want to say that it's the users problem and not theirs they don't want to take responsability for their products.  It's always the users problem and not theirs and thats just not true.  The problem does not occure in ie and I don't like chrome as there are to many steps just to down load a file.  Chrome says that this file is not secure and I don't know if this can be turned off or not.  My friend sent me an email that has the steps on how to down load in chrome and he does not like it either.  It is quite doable but it's not preferable.

Brian Sackrider

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 08:58 PM, Brian Sackrider wrote:
My problem is that I was told that microsoft is even working on the problem.
-
Do you really need to be?

You have been told, and not just by me, that this problem is of very recent introduction.  I've been using Edge with a screen reader since before it had even been released, and it worked perfectly.

These kinds of bugs are routine, get reported, and get fixed.  IE does not disappear for months yet.  Your hand-wringing, given available information, and Microsoft's track record with regard to wanting their premier products (and Edge is one) to work properly, is entirely misplaced.

You are also gravely mistaken if you think that front line tech support is ever going to be able to give you any accurate sense of whether a given issue is, or is not, being worked on.  That's not their job, and in a company as massive as Microsoft there is no way for them to know this sort of detail.

      ~ Brian Vogel