Topics

NVDA doesn't speak on Windows Log-on Screen

Sandra Pilz

Hi,

I'm using the current version of NVDA on an Intel NUC. It has a HDMI-Port and I am using a HDMI to VGA adapter to connect to my monitor. This adapter has a regular 3.5 mm 1/8 inch plug which I use to connect to a pair of speakers. When I start the machine, at first NVDA doesn't speak when I'm on the logon screen. On my Braille display I can see that I'm indeed on the logon screen and that NVDA is running. Now, if I close NVDA and start it again, it does speak. So it is able to send speech through HDMI, just not when it starts automatically during logon.

Does anybody know why this is and how I could fix it? Up to now I just thought that the HDMI sound driver was no good and I used an external USB soundcard to have speech immediately, but now that I have discovered that it's not the HDMI sound driver, I would like to have NVDA speak on the log on screen reliably to free up the USB port the external sound card is currently plugged into.

Regards

Sandra

Tyler Spivey

Let's check the obvious thing first. You've got a braille display, so this should be easy.
Reboot your machine and get to the logon screen.
Press ctrl+NVDA+s to open the Select Synthesizer dialog. Tab to Audio output device.
1. Is it set to Microsoft Sound Mapper? If not, set it to that. Does speech come back?
If it is, just press enter. Does speech come back then?

On 11/21/2020 2:16 AM, Sandra Pilz wrote:
[...]

If it were within my power to move this topic to the main group I would, but, alas, Groups.io does not allow it.

I just want to put on record that this topic falls entirely within the group description of what is the focus of the NVDA Group (main group).  If you so desire, feel free to ask again there if Mr. Spivey and yourself don't come to a resolution here.  For the sake of emphasis, here's the portion of the NVDA Group description I'm referring to:

The central purpose of this group is discussing how to use NVDA.  This includes configuring NVDA's settings or familiarizing oneself with its modes and commands.  Discussions about which programs are accessible using NVDA, NVDA add-ons, NVDA tutorials and documentation, and configuring synthesizers or Braille displays for use with NVDA are also permitted.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Sandra Pilz

Hi Tyler,

On the Logon Screen, you asked me to go to the select synthesizer dialogue and check if microsoft sound mapper was active. Yes, it is. When I just press enter, NVDA starts to talk.

So I'm not sure why id doesn't speak immediately on the Logon Screen...

Regards

Sandra

Am 21.11.2020 um 12:11 schrieb Tyler Spivey:

[...]

Brian,

Can you please help me to understand what the problem is?

I sent my request to nvda@nvda.groups.io. this is the only group I am subscribed to and aware of. I hardly ever use the groups.io website, and thought I had sent my message to the regular NVDA list. I thought it fell within the scope of the group, because I am having a problem with NVDA not talking as expected. So I am not sure where you think I should have sent my message instead and why.

Thanks

Sandra

Am 21.11.2020 um 18:30 schrieb Brian Vogel:

[...]

           I've been away for a couple of hours, and hope that you saw my apology long ago.  I had the proverbial "brain fart" and thought I was reading the Chat Subgroup at the time I saw your message and one other, that are indeed perfect for the main group, and was trying to redirect you to a place you already were.

           As the current saying goes, "My bad," and for that, I apologize again.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell