NVDA error checking for update

David Mehler

Hello,

I'm running NVDA 2021.2 and am trying to update both it and my
installed list of addons. In both cases I'm getting a message error
checking for update. This is on a windows 10 20h1 machine.

Anyone have a fix?

Thanks.
Dave.

How long has this been going on?   It is not at all unusual for the update servers to have occasional, transient "burps" and the update to go just fine anywhere from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours later.  (By the way, this observation applies to many things other than NVDA, as any server can go offline for a period of time).

         ~ John F. Kennedy

David Mehler

Hello,

I thought that as well, but at least here it's been going on for a few
days. I tried a couple of days ago, neither worked in the manner I
described above, so I thought ok maybe the servers are down so I
waited and of course forgot about it. Tonight I remembered, tried
again, and got the same results.

Thanks.
Dave.

How long has this been going on?   It is not at all unusual for the update
servers to have occasional, transient "burps" and the update to go just fine
anywhere from a couple of minutes to a couple of hours later.  (By the way,
this observation applies to many things other than NVDA, as any server can
go offline for a period of time).

*The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

~ John F. Kennedy

Then you are very likely having precisely the same issue I sent this Admin Notice for on October 2nd:

Update Checking Error for NVDA and Add-On Updater - Root Cause Identified, Workaround Given, Problem solved in 2021.3

         ~ John F. Kennedy

David Mehler

Hello,

Thanks, that did it. Punched in that line of python code and ran
update check worked just fine got the latest updates.

One thing how I missed it, the message led me to believe it occurred
only to new windows 10 installs that had not connected to the
internet, this in my case was not the case. But it is working now.
Thanks.
Dave.

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/88232?p=%2C%2C%2C20%2C0%2C0%2C0%3A%3Arecentpostdate%2Fsticky%2C%2Cadd-on+updater%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C86028599
)

*The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

~ John F. Kennedy

Quentin Christensen

The issue is because our security provider updated their certificate, but it doesn't automatically propagate to everyone.  The number of messages I've seen about it leads me to think that actually most users DO have the updated Windows certificates, but for whatever reason, not everyone does, and it is not one set of users - eg it's not related to a specific version of Windows.

Another fix for this is an add-on which was made by Mazen428 on GitHub: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/files/7269883/NvdaCertPatch.zip  It does show an error message, but it fixes the problem and automatically uninstalls itself.

We've put in a fix in alpha builds which will be in NVDA 2021.3 and later to endeavour to stop this from happening again in the future, but users affected now will need to implement one of the fixes now as well.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

dennis huckle

Hello again,

It’s a credit to nvda that these issues are dealt with promptly and that you also give an explanation.

Lets hope other screen reader providers learn the lesson.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Dennis huckle.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Hi,

The actual issue has to do with NVDA not catching the right error when detecting certificate issues.

To Quentin: may I suggest putting the workarounds for this issue in the next In-Process blog post please?

Cheers,

Joseph

brice Mijares

I am also having this problem. I remember discussion on this topic a few weeks ago, but didn't pay attention as I wasn't affected using my new laptop, but my Lenovo that is about 6 years old encountered this error message when checking for NVDA app updates. How do I rectify this issue? Thank You Kindly.

On 10/15/2021 6:31 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

The actual issue has to do with NVDA not catching the right error when detecting certificate issues.

To Quentin: may I suggest putting the workarounds for this issue in the next In-Process blog post please?

Cheers,

Joseph

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 10:27 AM, brice Mijares wrote:
How do I rectify this issue?
-
Please review the content of this entire topic, which should be in your email client as a thread/conversation.  But, in case you've been deleting as this entire topic has unspooled in less than the last 12 hours, see the admin notice I posted:

Update Checking Error for NVDA and Add-On Updater - Root Cause Identified, Workaround Given, Problem solved in 2021.3

As well as Quentin Christensen's message in this very topic:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/88767

It is getting very, very frustrating for me, as a moderator, to constantly see requests for the reposting of material offered within the past 24 hours.  That should never, ever be necessary, and particularly on an emailing list.  Items that recent, even if deleted, should be in your trash folder.  We also have a group archive, and an easily searchable one, for a reason.  The long-time membership should be using it as needed.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

brice Mijares

Thank you.

Update Checking Error for NVDA and Add-On Updater - Root Cause Identified, Workaround Given, Problem solved in 2021.3 <https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/88232?p=%2C%2C%2C20%2C0%2C0%2C0%3A%3Arecentpostdate%2Fsticky%2C%2Cadd-on+updater%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C86028599>

As well as Quentin Christensen's message in this very topic: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/88767

It is getting very, very frustrating for me, as a moderator, to constantly see requests for the reposting of material offered within the past 24 hours.  That should never, ever be necessary, and particularly on an emailing list.  Items that recent, even if deleted, should be in your trash folder.  We also have a group archive, and an easily searchable one, for a reason.  The long-time membership should be using it as needed.

*The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Quentin Christensen

For Brice and anyone else having this issue, we have made an add-on which you can get from https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/nvdaCertPatch2021.2.nvda-addon - it should fix the issue on install, and then pop up a message to uninstall it.  (Thanks to Mazen428 on GitHub and Joseph Lee for work on this issue and helping the community as well).  - Joseph, that's the reason In-process is late this week (last week?)  It will be out shortly.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Saylor Cooper

Yes Quinton I noticed that issue as well and therefore I downloaded that add on to repair it.

Saylor Cooper

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

Saylor,

How did you find the add-on?  Has it fixed the issue?

Quentin.

--

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

Ah, lucky I didn't say anything unpublishable then :)

As long as the add-on works that's the main thing, I've also put up our In-Process post containing the link to the add-on too: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-19th-october-2021/#Updates

Kind regards

Quentin.

You actually sent it to the mailing list.