NVDA Features feedback

Rui Fontes

Edited

Hello!

1 - Better support for Libre Office or Open Office;

2 - Possibility of easily label controls not labelled by develloper;

3 - Better control of what is announced by pressing a key. Take as example Narrator.

Rui Fontes

Gene

Edited

I’ve asked about these things before and I don’t recall getting an answer.  My question is whether these things either can’t be implemented because of technical reasons or are very hard to implement for those reasons.  I think they are very important.  One is the ability to create what JAWS calls frames and what Window-eyes called windows and hyperactive windows.  Either way, their function is that you define a part of the screen, then set the screen-reader to do something when a condition or conditions are met.  for example, when a certain word or phrase appears in that part of the screen, to take an action, which may be to read the defined window or to cause something to be done other than that.  I haven’t looked at frames for years and I don’t recall the different options.  But this is a very important ability in making NVDA user definable.

The other is the ability to define graphics, using a graphics dictionary so that a graphic is spoken when you are on it, such as download.  Now, if the graphic is unknown, no information is given.  The user may need sighted help to know the function of the graphic but it then can be made to speak its function.

These abilities would benefit many people but would be of particular use in education and work environments.

Gene

Christo de Klerk

Edited

This has been mentioned already, but I mention it again, as I think this feature is really needed and long overdue: the ability to label unlabelled or poorly labelled controls and graphics. This is one area where NVDA lags way behind other screen readers. Even the late Window-Eyes had this feature.

Kind regards

Christo

Fawaz Abdul rahman

Edited

Hi,
Better support for Powerpoint, especially that most of the study materials and jobs use presentations.
For instance in the presentation mode, NVDA does not read the tables or images.
It does not even announce that there is an image in the slide.
Sometimes we can convert the 'shape' to the text from the context menu; However, in the presentation mode, it gets ignored completely.
Better support for Adobe reader especially to fillPDF forms.
thanks.

What follows is a request to the readership at large, and I'm using this topic because it is a perfect example case.

Each and every contributor to this topic has offered valuable feedback, but in each instance that feedback was utterly unrelated to anything that preceded it.  This is not problematic in and of itself, but the retention of longer and longer and longer bottom quotation of everything that came before the latest offering is.

I am begging folks to please trim or eliminate quoted content in replies.  If you are replying to a single message and want to retain context, then feel free to leave whatever part of the message you're replying to such that the context is clear, but nuke the rest.  If you are offering a standalone reply, that has no relationship to anything that preceded it, as has happened in this topic, please nuke the entire quoted content before starting to type your reply.

The former requires only a select to end action (CTRL + SHIFT + End ) once your cursor is past the part you want to keep, followed by backspace or delete.  The latter simply requires a select all (CTRL + A) followed by backspace or delete.

Doing this results in an archive that is much, much easier to search to find content quickly when you need or want it.

And since it's handy for some who don't have this info to have it all in one place:  Selecting Text Using Windows Keyboard Shortcuts (docx format)

Roberto Perez

Hi list. I think the beginning of this topic has been removed from the archive, or at least I cannot find it. are we collecting feature request for a future NVDA release? Is this part of a survey?

Thanks.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 11:06 AM, Roberto Perez wrote:
I think the beginning of this topic has been removed from the archive
-
It has, as it was meant as a private email message and was accidentally sent to the group.

That being said, the folks at NVAccess always value feedback such as has been offered subsequent to its removal, and there's nothing wrong with continuing to offer that feedback for consideration by the NVDA development team.  It's not a formal survey, but it needn't be one to have value.

Sarah k Alawami

Have you checked on github to see if any of this has been submitted? You will get a better view point as if it is not on bit hub the issue does not exist.

[...]

Às 04:00 de 14/12/2021, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

I've collated the feedback I've gotten so far from Derek, Bhavya and Joseph.  I've included an overview below and a spreadsheet attached with the full responses:

Bhavya:
3 Areas:
- Microsoft Office support (content creation but did not elaborate) and responsiveness
- Freezes and crashes (frustratingly again without examples)
- Portable copies - no issues with it, it's one thing he has observed people LOVE about NVDA and suggests if there are suggestions or ways we could improve this, it would be worthwhile.

Derek:
- Web and Browse mode improvements, especially for modern features such as infinite lists, and why does a tree view hide everything from Browse mode?  Also not tolerant enough of where people have incorrectly marked things up which inadvertently make it impossible for all but very advanced users to navigate.
- Integration with other AT such as speech (input?) and switch access, building on things such as dictation bridge.  (Incorporated praise for features such as sticky keys out of the box which we are the only screen reader to do apparently).
- "Computer Vision" to do things like auto label buttons, auto OCR, present hidden content etc
- since live region abuse is so common, add the ability to block a live region.
- Better support for Google docs, eg quick nav mode.
- Start doing more with the speech refactor we put so much effort into.  For instance to replace some speech with earcons.
- Windows store version - both to prove we are modern and worthy of Windows continued support, and to reassure companies worried about security.

Joseph Lee:
- What we did well in 2021 was communication and keeping up with technology, and with improvements to documentation of issues etc, and our improvements to Office.
- Listening to stakeholders and especially the movement towards the add-on store is another great achievement.

Two key areas for 2022:
- Communication: More documentation through source code
- Research relevance (mostly in terms of people who are researching us or the history of screen readers?)

Anatoliy (Thinking and will get back to me)

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gene

I don’t recall if I checked on any of them.

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2021 10:25 AM

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 11:25 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Have you checked on github to see if any of this has been submitted? You will get a better view point as if it is not on bit hub the issue does not exist.
-
Indeed.  It's also the direct communication mechanism with the NVDA Development Team, as GitHub is the project management software.

Useful tutorials/references, all in MS-Word format of one type or another (document or document template):

Creating a Github Account

Creating an Issue in GitHub for NVDA

MS-Word Fillable Form for an NVDA Bug Report Including Pre and Post Filling-Out Instructions

MS-Word Fillable Form for an NVDA Bug Report Including Only Post Filling-Out Instructions

How to Unprotect a Completed Fillable Word Form so the Entire Document Can Be Copied

Roberto Perez

Thanks Brian. I will offer my 3 cents then.
1. Extend browse mode support to desktop apps with the ability to interact with elements and use quick navigation keys. It would be similar to what is already possible with scan mode with the OBJ Pad add-on, but integrated in the core and more aligned with NVDA's browse mode. This would make navigating and accessing information a more standard process despite native keyboard support, especially as UIA support improves across apps and frameworks. Once app developers have the ability to tap into this more powerful unified browse mode, the possibilities are endless.
2. give the user more control over which settings are saved to different profiles. Right now NVDA only saves changes to the active profile whether that is desired or not, leading to inconvenient situations. for example, I maintain profiles for multiple apps and situations with very specific settings. If I am in a meeting and I change the speech volume using the synth ring, that change will be automatically saved to the profile for the application in focus, so I end up having different volume levels for different apps. the same happens to the temporary screen curtain. If I enable it while the active window corresponds to an application for which I have an active profile, screen curtain will get disabled as soon as I press alt +Tab and another profile becomes active.
3. When an app module includes its own keyboard commands, provide a standard way to the add-on developer to provide supporting documentation that can be accessed by the user from the app itself, or a standard menu with actions that can be invoked by the user. For example, if I am in Excel, and I don't remember the NVDA command to save a title definition for row and column headers, my only option is to go to the NVDA help and explore the user guide or the commands quick Reference, which is not efficient.

I hope this helps.

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

I find the option to name the buttons useless as we don't know the names of the buttons

On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 01:04 PM, Eduardo Fermiano Luccas wrote:
I find the option to name the buttons useless as we don't know the names of the buttons
-
You know, there are times where asking a sighted assistant, then applying a label that will then stick, is necessary.  It's really, really handy to have that capability.  And it's the very reason it was created.

It's very often a three second ask for a sighted ID, and however long it then takes you to apply the label via the screen reader.  You sometimes never get a fix if you report the issue to the developer, and if it's only one odd button or two that are problematic, it makes no sense to throw a perfectly good baby out with the bathwater when a functional workaround is available.

Sometimes you need sighted help.  If a sighted person tells you what a button is, you could name it.  And sometimes, moving the virtual mouse to a button brings up a tool tip and if you have announce tool tips on in NVDA, you will hear what the button is.  Then you can name it.

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2021 12:04 PM

[...]

In addition, if we could find a way to share those definition files with the community, there is a powerful aid right there.

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2021 12:04 PM

[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Christo

I totally agree with you on that. My talk back on my phone can label un labled buttons etc and there are programs out there that need it to use it..The only addons I am aware of is one called object enhancer which can be downloaded from my drop box at https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqnooxmas5utw70/objEnhancer_2019.2beta1_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=0

It works with nvda at present I would have to check with the latest update.

Some part of it need updating but am sure the guy who done it does not want to take it any further.

The other one is the golden cursor where it lets you label hot spots I have used it on a  scanner with un labled buttons but to get to them you use the elements list no biggy.

Gene nz

On 2021/12/14 04:45pm, Gene wrote:
[...]

Hi everyone,

Just to reiterate what Brian said - the original message was my attempt to capture some casual comments as feedback - and it wasn't originally intended to be sent to the list.  But we do of course always value feedback and the end of the year is the perfect time to think about where we've been and where we are going, so let's continue the impromptu exercise of thinking about what broad direction you'd like to see NVDA move in / where we can get better / etc.  Not promising anything, but it's always worth reflecting.  And of course if you do have any specifics which would be suitable to write up as an issue, then GitHub, as Brian indicated, is the best place to record it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues - (Maybe create the GitHub issue, then come back and mention the idea here with a link to the issue - it's really important that any followup on issues, is done ON the issue itself - not everyone who might action an issue is here in the group, or they might miss a key message or two).

Meanwhile, I am on leave, so despite encouraging the conversation, I probably won't participate in it much for the rest of the year).

Once again, have a great Christmas and New Year and I look forward to seeing how the conversation has developed in the new year!

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

enes sarıbaş

Edited

better support for Microsoft office, especially the editor and spellcheck, fixes for performance losses.

Better support for Firefox, fixes for large table Firefox lags and other Firefox lags.

abandonment of legacy applications. I feel NVAccess should develop a support policy for applications that have no official support, and stick to it. There is no reason why anyone should be using Windows 7, office 2003/2007/2010 etc, and time shouldn't be spent on fixing bugs in obsolete technologies.

On 12/14/2021 5:34 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:

Hello!

1 - Better support for Libre Office or Open Office;

2 - Possibility of easily label controls not labelled by develloper;

3 - Better control of what is announced by pressing a key. Take as example Narrator.

Rui Fontes

Gene

Edited

I haven’t followed fixes in NVDA for unsupported programs.  But I think these questions need to be considered when deciding what to support:
How many people are using these old programs and why?  NVDA is used all over the world and blind people of all economic circumstances use it.  There may be good reasons some people are using old versions of programs and Windows.  Is fixing problems in how NVDA works with a specific program worth the time in terms of how many people benefit versus the things that are undone as a result?  At some point, even if the needs of people are taken into account, it may become so difficult and time consuming to fix problems or keep NVDA compatible that the effort would be given up even if [enough people would benefit to have justified such fixes in the past.  I suspect that at times, you can’t maintain compatibility with old programs or versions of Windows while making NVDA work well with new versions because of changes in the new programs.  But I don’t think you benefit people in the best way by applying an arbitrary rule.

Gene

Christo de Klerk

Edited

Hello

Many thanks for your very helpful message. I heard of the Object enhancer, but had no idea where to get it. I have just installed it and will play around with it.

I have Golden Cursor and have been using it with some success, though it is not as convenient as just labelling items would have been.

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestions.

Kind regards

Christo