Topics

NVDA finding the current window class name and children/parent

Sean Murphy

All.

Does NVDA have a module or shortcut key already built that will look at the current control (object) with focus and give me the window class name? I did see the developers guide documentation and I could not use the example. It gave errors and I do not have the errors at hand.

I also would like to know the child or parent. This is build in Jaws by default. Any help is grateful.

Larry Wang

NVDA+F1 
As for children and parent you can use Python console.

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 10:22 AM Sean Murphy <mhysnm1964@...> wrote:

All.

Does NVDA have a module or shortcut key already built that will look at the current control (object) with focus and give me the window class name? I did see the developers guide documentation and I could not use the example. It gave errors and I do not have the errors at hand.

I also would like to know the child or parent. This is build in Jaws by default. Any help is grateful.

Sean Murphy

Larry,

Thanks. As I do not recall seeing the keyboard command in the user docs.

The console when I used it last, did not automatically read out the output. I even had issues with using the NVDA object Nav commands. So is there anything special I should be doing here to get the output to read or even find it?

Do I need to import any of the modules or just issue the relevant example code which was in the dev docs in section 3.9 which got the parent and child window? As what I am trying to is fairly simple and I don’t want to have to learn NVDA’s environment as of yet. As I am troubleshooting a issue between two screen readers for windows.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Wang
Sent: Friday, 9 August 2019 12:24 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA finding the current window class name and children/parent

NVDA+F1 

All.

Andy B.

Hi,

Once you get into the Python prompt, focus.parent and focus.children will give you the parent/children of the currently focused object.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2019 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA finding the current window class name andchildren/parent

Larry,

The console when I used it last, did not automatically read out the output. I even had issues with using the NVDA object Nav commands. So is there anything special I should be doing here to get the output to read or even find it?

Do I need to import any of the modules or just issue the relevant example code which was in the dev docs in section 3.9 which got the parent and child window? As what I am trying to is fairly simple and I don’t want to have to learn NVDA’s environment as of yet. As I am troubleshooting a issue between two screen readers for windows.

Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA finding the current window class name and children/parent

NVDA+F1 

All.

Luke Davis

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019, Sean Murphy wrote:

The console when I used it last, did not automatically read out the output. I even had issues with using the NVDA object Nav commands. So is there anything
special I should be doing here to get the output to read or even find it?
It does tend to read automatically for me, but if you don't like how it's reading, press F6. That will take you to the output section, and you can use arrows and regular navigation to read as if in a text editor.
Selection commands are also available.

Luke

Sean Murphy

Luke,

Thanks. Don't know why. But it doesn't read automatically at all. It is
silent. I will use the f6 keystroke.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Davis
Sent: Friday, 9 August 2019 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA finding the current window class name and
children/parent

The console when I used it last, did not automatically read out the
output. I even had issues with using the NVDA object Nav commands. So is
there anything special I should be doing here to get the output to read or
even find it?

It does tend to read automatically for me, but if you don't like how it's
reading, press F6. That will take you to the output section, and you can use
arrows and regular navigation to read as if in a text editor.
Selection commands are also available.

Luke

Sean Murphy

Andy,

Thanks. This will be fun. 😊

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Andy B.
Sent: Friday, 9 August 2019 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA finding the current window class name andchildren/parent

Hi,

Once you get into the Python prompt, focus.parent and focus.children will give you the parent/children of the currently focused object.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, August 8, 2019 10:33 PM

Larry,

NVDA+F1 

All.

Luke Davis

Thanks. Don't know why. But it doesn't read automatically at all. It is
silent. I will use the f6 keystroke.
Interesting. I can't get it to _stop_ reading, no matter what NVDA options I unselect. What version are you on?

Luke