Topics

NVDA Freezing Again

Sharni-Lee Ward

Recently I sent a message to this list about an issue I'd been having since I got my Focus 40 Braille Display. NVDA would occasionally freeze just after startup, would refuse to restart and I would have to shut down the computer to get it working again.

This morning, after starting up, I initiated the snapshot Joseph recently released for use with Braille Displays. It froze twice when I attempted to change to the experimental Unified English Braille Grade 2 table and I had to restart the computer after both attempts. I am assuming this problem originates with the Braille Display, not NVDA, as this also happened once before I attempted to use the snapshot. Yep, I had to restart the computer a total of three times this morning because of this freezing issue. Am I doing something wrong? I have the display connected via USB and unless I want something else plugged into that port (my laptop only has two usb ports and the other one is for my internet) I leave it plugged in when I shut down and it is still plugged in when I initially start up the computer.

Hi,

Uh oh, I and other developers will need a log (when this happens).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:05 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA Freezing Again

Recently I sent a message to this list about an issue I'd been having since I got my Focus 40 Braille Display. NVDA would occasionally freeze just after startup, would refuse to restart and I would have to shut down the computer to get it working again.

This morning, after starting up, I initiated the snapshot Joseph recently released for use with Braille Displays. It froze twice when I attempted to change to the experimental Unified English Braille Grade 2 table and I had to restart the computer after both attempts. I am assuming this problem originates with the Braille Display, not NVDA, as this also happened once before I attempted to use the snapshot. Yep, I had to restart the computer a total of three times this morning because of this freezing issue. Am I doing something wrong? I have the display connected via USB and unless I want something else plugged into that port (my laptop only has two usb ports and the other one is for my internet) I leave it plugged in when I shut down and it is still plugged in when I initially start up the computer.

Sharni-Lee Ward

I'll see if I can reproduce it again at a later time, but I can tell you it has only happened to me when the computer only recently started up. I was able to activate the snapshot half an hour after startup with no problems.

Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Freezing Again
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 15:21:27 -0700

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Sure, please do send me the log when this happens again (NVDA+F1).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:29 PM

I'll see if I can reproduce it again at a later time, but I can tell you it has only happened to me when the computer only recently started up. I was able to activate the snapshot half an hour after startup with no problems.

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Sharni-Lee Ward

...But how can NVDA send a log report if it's frozen and won't respond?

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 15:30:32 -0700

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Depends on which installation type you are using:

1.       For installed copies, open %temp% and look for nvdaOld.log (after restarting NvDA).

2.       For portable copy, open the folder where you’ve unzipped the portable version and look for nvda.log or nvdaOld.log.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:34 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Sharni-Lee Ward

Well, I have to restart the computer to restart NVDA because it refuses even to restart with alt+ctrl+n. Would that have an impact?

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 15:39:10 -0700

Hi,

1.       For installed copies, open %temp% and look for nvdaOld.log (after restarting NvDA).

2.       For portable copy, open the folder where you’ve unzipped the portable version and look for nvda.log or nvdaOld.log.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

It may have an impact (suggests something odd is going on). Does this happen without your Focus display connected?

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:47 PM

Well, I have to restart the computer to restart NVDA because it refuses even to restart with alt+ctrl+n. Would that have an impact?

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 15:39:10 -0700

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Rob

Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@...> wrote:
This is a problem with Liblouis (the libraries which handle braille translation), not NVDA. I see it all the time. IN order to get braille to work, you have to start NVDA with no braille, and then switch to your preferred display in the preferences dialog. The only other way to fix it is to log into your computer with another admin account, kill the nvda.exe process, and then re log back into your original account and start NVDA again.