Topics

NVDA goes mad

Hettie

Hi all

NVDA suddenly started talking non-stop. At times it was talking so fast that it kept making funny noises like an old-time vinel record when it got stuck.

It was so frustrating to restart the computer with no normal NVDA. Restarting NVDA did not work either. The last option was to re-install it again as not even the fixing tool was able to restore nvda. That was easier said than done as it was almost impossible to find the folder it is saved in while the babbeling went onand then to find the installation file by pressing N.

It now works properly again. Never experianced this problem before.

Hettie

https://www.avg.com

Felix G.

Hello,
in such cases, a valuable strategy would be to use Narrator to get
through the rough spots, at least if this happens on Windows 10.
Best,
Felix

Am So., 14. Feb. 2021 um 21:39 Uhr schrieb Hettie <woehler.hettie@gmail.com>:

Hi all

NVDA suddenly started talking non-stop. At times it was talking so fast
that it kept making funny noises like an old-time vinel record when it
got stuck.

It was so frustrating to restart the computer with no normal NVDA.
Restarting NVDA did not work either. The last option was to re-install
it again as not even the fixing tool was able to restore nvda. That was
easier said than done as it was almost impossible to find the folder it
is saved in while the babbeling went onand then to find the installation
file by pressing N.

It now works properly again. Never experianced this problem before.

Hettie

https://www.avg.com

Arlene

Yes, good old Narrator. About NVDA speeding up and getting stuck like an old record. Lol! In all seriousness that’s creepy.   Sorry you went through that kind of frustration. Glad you got it fixed.  That’s craziness.  No wonder some people leave Windows and go to I Pad or tablet.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

in such cases, a valuable strategy would be to use Narrator to get

through the rough spots, at least if this happens on Windows 10.

Best,

Felix

Am So., 14. Feb. 2021 um 21:39 Uhr schrieb Hettie <woehler.hettie@...>:

> Hi all

> NVDA suddenly started talking non-stop. At times it was talking so fast

> that it kept making funny noises like an old-time vinel record when it

> got stuck.

> It was so frustrating to restart the computer with no normal NVDA.

> Restarting NVDA did not work either. The last option was to re-install

> it again as not even the fixing tool was able to restore nvda. That was

> easier said than done as it was almost impossible to find the folder it

> is saved in while the babbeling went onand then to find the installation

> file by pressing N.

> It now works properly again. Never experianced this problem before.

> Hettie

> --

> https://www.avg.com

Hettie

thanks, I never think of using nirator, will keep it in mind for the future.

Hettie

On 2/15/2021 8:40 AM, Felix G. wrote:
[...]

Was funny for a while especially when it got the hicups and couldn't stop but then the frustration took over. Smiles.

Hettie

On 2/15/2021 9:30 AM, Arlene wrote:

Yes, good old Narrator. About NVDA speeding up and getting stuck like an old record. Lol! In all seriousness that’s creepy.   Sorry you went through that kind of frustration. Glad you got it fixed.  That’s craziness.  No wonder some people leave Windows and go to I Pad or tablet.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

in such cases, a valuable strategy would be to use Narrator to get

through the rough spots, at least if this happens on Windows 10.

Best,

Felix

Am So., 14. Feb. 2021 um 21:39 Uhr schrieb Hettie <woehler.hettie@...>:

> Hi all

> NVDA suddenly started talking non-stop. At times it was talking so fast

> that it kept making funny noises like an old-time vinel record when it

> got stuck.

> It was so frustrating to restart the computer with no normal NVDA.

> Restarting NVDA did not work either. The last option was to re-install

> it again as not even the fixing tool was able to restore nvda. That was

> easier said than done as it was almost impossible to find the folder it

> is saved in while the babbeling went onand then to find the installation

> file by pressing N.

> It now works properly again. Never experianced this problem before.

> Hettie

> --

> https://www.avg.com

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Gene

You might be able to continue to use NVDA by running it from the exxe file, using the continue option after you accept the license. You won't be running the installed version and can uninstall it and then unload and run the exe file again and reinstall NVDA. Iff you are more comfortable using NVDA, you can try that and see if it runs properly from the exe file.

Am So., 14. Feb. 2021 um 21:39 Uhr schrieb Hettie mailto:woehler.hettie@gmail.com:

Hi all
NVDA suddenly started talking non-stop. At times it was talking so fast
that it kept making funny noises like an old-time vinel record when it
got stuck.
It was so frustrating to restart the computer with no normal NVDA.
Restarting NVDA did not work either. The last option was to re-install
it again as not even the fixing tool was able to restore nvda. That was
easier said than done as it was almost impossible to find the folder it
is saved in while the babbeling went onand then to find the installation
file by pressing N.
It now works properly again. Never experianced this problem before.
Hettie
https://www.avg.com

www.avg.com

Felix G.

You might also try pressing NVDA+CTRL+R three times quickly. This
reverts your NVDA settings to factory defaults.

Am Mo., 15. Feb. 2021 um 12:07 Uhr schrieb Gene <gsasner@gmail.com>:

[...]

That might solve the problem or even using the command NVDA key control r once, which reloads settings from the saved configuration. But this will only possibly work if you haven't shut down and restarted NVDA. NVDA, in a setting I think is a very bad one, just asking to cause trouble, by default, saves settings when it is shut down. So if something changed the settings and you close the program, the setting or settings that are causing the problem will be saved and the settings you want will be lost. I've said a number of times in the past that automatically saving settings should not be the default but there is no interest in changing the setting.

Also, during the time Window-eyes was in wide use, one of its advantages was considered to be that you could change settings and they wouldn't be permanently saved until you manually permanently saved them. This allowed users to experiment with different settings without fear that they had lost the settings they usually use. This was especially valuable for new users.

[...]

As another example of why the current default behavior is bad, not too long ago, I reverted to factory settings for some reason. I didn't intend the reversion to be permanent. I had, in my changed settings, set NVDA not to automatically save settings on exit. After I reverted to factory settings, I shut down NVDA. I hadn't considered that, since I had reverted to factory settings, the save on exit behavior would also be in force again. The result is that I lost all my settings.

Automatically save on exit is a just plain bad default setting. Simply teach new users to use NVDA key control c to permanently save settings. there is such a thing as too much automation in the name of convenience.

[...]

Thanks for all the valuable comments, I'll save them for future use which I hope never returns again.

Hettie

-----Original Message----- From: Hettie

[...]

brice Mijares

I would have hit control alt N to restart NVDA if this would have  happened to me.

On 2/14/2021 12:39 PM, Hettie wrote:
Hi all

NVDA suddenly started talking non-stop. At times it was talking so fast that it kept making funny noises like an old-time vinel record when it got stuck.

It was so frustrating to restart the computer with no normal NVDA. Restarting NVDA did not work either. The last option was to re-install it again as not even the fixing tool was able to restore nvda. That was easier said than done as it was almost impossible to find the folder it is saved in while the babbeling went onand then to find the installation file by pressing N.

It now works properly again. Never experianced this problem before.

Hettie

Gene

If you had save settings on exit in force, the default, and if settings had been changed but the saved settings were still the same, you would have lost the saved settings. If you had had save settings on exit turhned off, which is not the default, you could have safely done this and not lost the settings and you might have restored proper behavior. Your comment is a further illustration of why save settings on exit should not be the default.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 06:30 AM, Gene wrote:
Automatically save on exit is a just plain bad default setting.
-
Gene, every default you do not like is not "bad" just because you do not like it.   This song is getting very, very old, and has been repeated ad nauseam.

No matter what default is chosen, someone is going to love it, someone is going to hate it, and most aren't going to care until or unless they're caught unaware, regardless of exactly how they're caught unaware.

Every one of your complaints is about how it doesn't suit you.  That really doesn't make it bad.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

I don't say a setting is bad just because I don't like it. I say it is bad because it leads to unanticipated trouble for people and most people don't even know about it in case they would want to change it.

I discuss the setting now and then when something comes up where it either causes or is likely to cause a problem. I gave a concrete example of where it can cause a serious ;problem based on my own experience.

If something being discussed raises the issue as in this thread, and I discuss it perhaps three or four months apart, that serves a purpose because a lot of people skip various messages and may not know about the issue. It may save some people from problems, perhaps serious ones.

And in one of the follow-up messages, another list member demonstrates how exactly the opposite of what is intended may occur if you follow a generally followed trouble shooting method, that is, closing and rerunning the browser. a lot of people won't know that changed settings will be automatically saved.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 06:30 AM, Gene wrote:
Automatically save on exit is a just plain bad default setting.-
Gene, every default you do not like is not "bad" just because you do not like it. This song is getting very, very old, and has been repeated ad nauseam.

No matter what default is chosen, someone is going to love it, someone is going to hate it, and most aren't going to care until or unless they're caught unaware, regardless of exactly how they're caught unaware.

Every one of your complaints is about how it doesn't suit you. That really doesn't make it bad.

~ Brian Vogel

Edited

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 11:05 AM, Gene wrote:
I say it is bad because it leads to unanticipated trouble for people and most people don't even know about it in case they would want to change it.
-
Which is true about any blessed default you can name.  There is nothing difficult about the concept that most people (including myself) have no idea of what most of the defaults are for any piece of software they use.

Any one of these has the potential to cause trouble.  It's that simple.

I dislike a lot of defaults, vehemently, but my personal disposition toward any one of them really doesn't make it bad for everyone, or even, perhaps, for the majority.  Defaults must be chosen, and we each like or dislike those choices, but trying to argue that any given switch should be on or off because someone might not know that something might or might not happen is an invalid argument, because it is always true, no matter what the choice.

There is a reason that the charming old saying, RTFM, exists.  You can change that M to H for Help, or D for documentation, or whatever.  But the need for people to consult reference material will never go away, and there will never be an ideal default for everyone.

       ~ Brian Vogel

That final line should have had, "there will never be an ideal default for everyone," not, "anyone," as its end.

Any given default might be perfectly peachy for some random anyone.  But it certainly won't be for everyone.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Arlene

Well now you got it all solved and you can go about your new day.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

in such cases, a valuable strategy would be to use Narrator to get

through the rough spots, at least if this happens on Windows 10.

Best,

Felix

Am So., 14. Feb. 2021 um 21:39 Uhr schrieb Hettie <woehler.hettie@...>:

> Hi all

> NVDA suddenly started talking non-stop. At times it was talking so fast

> that it kept making funny noises like an old-time vinel record when it

> got stuck.

> It was so frustrating to restart the computer with no normal NVDA.

> Restarting NVDA did not work either. The last option was to re-install

> it again as not even the fixing tool was able to restore nvda. That was

> easier said than done as it was almost impossible to find the folder it

> is saved in while the babbeling went onand then to find the installation

> file by pressing N.

> It now works properly again. Never experianced this problem before.

> Hettie

> --

> https://www.avg.com

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Arlene

Narator is good for getting yu out of a jam.

https://www.avg.com

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 02:30 AM, Arlene wrote:
No wonder some people leave Windows and go to I Pad or tablet.
-
And find out, in short order, that other OSes and the software that runs on them have their issues, too.

I honestly can't count the number of service calls I've gotten from "ship jumpers" who did so without a moment's thought, or research, who can't manage what they've elected to jump to at all.

Once you're comfortable with an ecosystem, any one of 'em, think very long and hard before believing that going to another is a solution to all the things you dislike.  The learning curve is shallow, and tedious, and most often very frustrating.  Almost none of us understands how much of what we do "without thinking" under what we're used to using requires having to think things through all over again elsewhere.

       ~ Brian Vogel

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 12:19 PM, Arlene wrote:
Narator is good for getting yu out of a jam.
-
And I'd say more than that.  I really need to start trying to get a lot more up to speed on Narrator (which is about the hundredth time I've said this).  I anticipate it will be making significant inroads over the next 5 years simply because it's a Windows built-in.  Businesses and other large entities love things that they don't need to buy, and that come from "the Microsoft Mothership."

       ~ Brian Vogel