Topics

NVDA has Acquired a new, and somewhat annoying Feature

Hello, everyone. I'm using Thunderbird 75 beta 2 64 bit with the latest NVDA Alpha. As of a few days ago, the reading of certain processes in Thunderbird is being done. However, it is way too verbose. Sometimes it reads pieces of text and letters. I wish I knew what this was and how to modify it, or turn it off.

Betsy Grenevitch

I am having the same problem and it definitely interrupts the reading of email.

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Quentin Christensen

Is there something new in the Thunderbird betas perhaps?  I just tried with alpha-19867,54f1b727 on Thunderbird 68.6.0 32-bit (the latest regular version?) and it read as normal, so it looks like it's something changed in Thunderbird, and might be worth contacting Mozilla perhaps?  Does it do the same thing if you use NVDA 2019.3.1?  I didn't notice a difference in Thunderbird 68.6, but if you could provide exact steps to repeat and exactly what superfluous information is being read I can double check.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 1:31 AM Betsy Grenevitch <blindangel61@...> wrote:
I am having the same problem and it definitely interrupts the reading of
email.

On 3/31/2020 5:17 PM, Governor staten wrote:
> Hello, everyone. I'm using Thunderbird 75 beta 2 64 bit with the
> latest NVDA Alpha. As of a few days ago, the reading of certain
> processes in Thunderbird is being done. However, it is way too
> verbose. Sometimes it reads pieces of text and letters. I wish I knew
> what this was and how to modify it, or turn it off.

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

It's one of those things where I don't think they officially support the 64-bit version. Who knows why? Might be worth going back to that older, official, version.

Is there something new in the Thunderbird betas perhaps?  I just tried with alpha-19867,54f1b727 on Thunderbird 68.6.0 32-bit (the latest regular version?) and it read as normal, so it looks like it's something changed in Thunderbird, and might be worth contacting Mozilla perhaps?  Does it do the same thing if you use NVDA 2019.3.1?  I didn't notice a difference in Thunderbird 68.6, but if you could provide exact steps to repeat and exactly what superfluous information is being read I can double check.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 1:31 AM Betsy Grenevitch <blindangel61@...> wrote:
I am having the same problem and it definitely interrupts the reading of
email.

On 3/31/2020 5:17 PM, Governor staten wrote:
> Hello, everyone. I'm using Thunderbird 75 beta 2 64 bit with the
> latest NVDA Alpha. As of a few days ago, the reading of certain
> processes in Thunderbird is being done. However, it is way too
> verbose. Sometimes it reads pieces of text and letters. I wish I knew
> what this was and how to modify it, or turn it off.

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

One should never, and I mean never, expect that beta versions of any software are going to be completely bug free, and all the more so if one thing (Thunderbird, in this case) is a beta that's significantly in advance of the stable software (NVDA, in this case) it's being used with.

Reports of these issues are very valuable, but you really can't expect that anyone will devote a lot of time to them until the release candidate stage is reached unless it happens to be convenient.  Definitely give the feedback to the folks at Mozilla just like you did here.

       ~ Madonna

This is true. I might roll back and see how it goes.

On 4/1/2020 9:05 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
One should never, and I mean never, expect that beta versions of any software are going to be completely bug free, and all the more so if one thing (Thunderbird, in this case) is a beta that's significantly in advance of the stable software (NVDA, in this case) it's being used with.

Reports of these issues are very valuable, but you really can't expect that anyone will devote a lot of time to them until the release candidate stage is reached unless it happens to be convenient.  Definitely give the feedback to the folks at Mozilla just like you did here.

       ~ Madonna

David Csercsics

I'd assume the 64-bit Thunderbird would be supported, because you can get the 68.6 builds from the download page. True it's not the default option, but it works here. I don't know about the alpha build though. I expect they wouldn't test that much with stable NVDA.

Betsy Grenevitch

I assume I have the latest version of thunderbird. It seemed to start acting up about the same time I updated Thunderbird and also did some add-on updates with NVDA but I do not recall what they are.

It took me over half an hour even to get in the program tonight when I had shut it down--Thunderbird.

I wish I could figure out how to describe what is going one. One thing is when you delete an email it starts saying different letters like it is trying to tell you what is going on. I also can no longer go from one email to the next and have it read smoothly like I used to be able to do by just pushing the delete on the numpad and it going right to the next email. I now have to push insert and then down arrow--not numpad keys for it to stop saying all of those different letters. It is really hard to describe. It was running so smoothly.

I wonder if it is because I am running a beta version as I was willing to be a tester for them? I did not think of that earlier.

Is there something new in the Thunderbird betas perhaps?  I just tried with alpha-19867,54f1b727 on Thunderbird 68.6.0 32-bit (the latest regular version?) and it read as normal, so it looks like it's something changed in Thunderbird, and might be worth contacting Mozilla perhaps?  Does it do the same thing if you use NVDA 2019.3.1?  I didn't notice a difference in Thunderbird 68.6, but if you could provide exact steps to repeat and exactly what superfluous information is being read I can double check.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 1:31 AM Betsy Grenevitch <blindangel61@...> wrote:
I am having the same problem and it definitely interrupts the reading of
email.

On 3/31/2020 5:17 PM, Governor staten wrote:
> Hello, everyone. I'm using Thunderbird 75 beta 2 64 bit with the
> latest NVDA Alpha. As of a few days ago, the reading of certain
> processes in Thunderbird is being done. However, it is way too
> verbose. Sometimes it reads pieces of text and letters. I wish I knew
> what this was and how to modify it, or turn it off.

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

I forgot to mention that I do not understand what you turned off to try to use it.

Is there something new in the Thunderbird betas perhaps?  I just tried with alpha-19867,54f1b727 on Thunderbird 68.6.0 32-bit (the latest regular version?) and it read as normal, so it looks like it's something changed in Thunderbird, and might be worth contacting Mozilla perhaps?  Does it do the same thing if you use NVDA 2019.3.1?  I didn't notice a difference in Thunderbird 68.6, but if you could provide exact steps to repeat and exactly what superfluous information is being read I can double check.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 1:31 AM Betsy Grenevitch <blindangel61@...> wrote:
I am having the same problem and it definitely interrupts the reading of
email.

On 3/31/2020 5:17 PM, Governor staten wrote:
> Hello, everyone. I'm using Thunderbird 75 beta 2 64 bit with the
> latest NVDA Alpha. As of a few days ago, the reading of certain
> processes in Thunderbird is being done. However, it is way too
> verbose. Sometimes it reads pieces of text and letters. I wish I knew
> what this was and how to modify it, or turn it off.

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Hi Betsy and all,

I see.

If I understand you correctly, NVDA somehow does not read next messages automatically when you delete the current message in Thunderbird, and you say this problem began when you updated add-ons and/or Thunderbird. To really figure out if it is Thunderbird, can you try reverting (going back) to latest public version of Thunderbird? If that resolves the problem, I think a love call to Mozilla would be in order (i.e. reporting the problem in hopes of Mozilla understanding and resolving it). Also, given that some folks did report a similar problem, I hope others can chime in with their findings with the steps I wrote earlier.

Cheers,

Joseph

I assume I have the latest version of thunderbird. It seemed to start acting up about the same time I updated Thunderbird and also did some add-on updates with NVDA but I do not recall what they are.

It took me over half an hour even to get in the program tonight when I had shut it down--Thunderbird.

I wish I could figure out how to describe what is going one. One thing is when you delete an email it starts saying different letters like it is trying to tell you what is going on. I also can no longer go from one email to the next and have it read smoothly like I used to be able to do by just pushing the delete on the numpad and it going right to the next email. I now have to push insert and then down arrow--not numpad keys for it to stop saying all of those different letters. It is really hard to describe. It was running so smoothly.

I wonder if it is because I am running a beta version as I was willing to be a tester for them? I did not think of that earlier.

Is there something new in the Thunderbird betas perhaps?  I just tried with alpha-19867,54f1b727 on Thunderbird 68.6.0 32-bit (the latest regular version?) and it read as normal, so it looks like it's something changed in Thunderbird, and might be worth contacting Mozilla perhaps?  Does it do the same thing if you use NVDA 2019.3.1?  I didn't notice a difference in Thunderbird 68.6, but if you could provide exact steps to repeat and exactly what superfluous information is being read I can double check.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 1:31 AM Betsy Grenevitch <blindangel61@...> wrote:

I am having the same problem and it definitely interrupts the reading of
email.

On 3/31/2020 5:17 PM, Governor staten wrote:
> Hello, everyone. I'm using Thunderbird 75 beta 2 64 bit with the
> latest NVDA Alpha. As of a few days ago, the reading of certain
> processes in Thunderbird is being done. However, it is way too
> verbose. Sometimes it reads pieces of text and letters. I wish I knew
> what this was and how to modify it, or turn it off.

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Brian Moore

This is specific to the 75 version betas of thunderbird.  Turning off the status line helps some but not entirely.  they still haven't fixed the ability to sort columns and the addon will no longer let you do it in these versions.

If there was an easy way to go back to the production release I would do it but my mail database won't port back.

Brian.

On 4/1/2020 11:25 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:

I forgot to mention that I do not understand what you turned off to try to use it.

Is there something new in the Thunderbird betas perhaps?  I just tried with alpha-19867,54f1b727 on Thunderbird 68.6.0 32-bit (the latest regular version?) and it read as normal, so it looks like it's something changed in Thunderbird, and might be worth contacting Mozilla perhaps?  Does it do the same thing if you use NVDA 2019.3.1?  I didn't notice a difference in Thunderbird 68.6, but if you could provide exact steps to repeat and exactly what superfluous information is being read I can double check.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 1:31 AM Betsy Grenevitch <blindangel61@...> wrote:
I am having the same problem and it definitely interrupts the reading of
email.

On 3/31/2020 5:17 PM, Governor staten wrote:
> Hello, everyone. I'm using Thunderbird 75 beta 2 64 bit with the
> latest NVDA Alpha. As of a few days ago, the reading of certain
> processes in Thunderbird is being done. However, it is way too
> verbose. Sometimes it reads pieces of text and letters. I wish I knew
> what this was and how to modify it, or turn it off.

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Brian Moore

Hi.  This is not nvda at all. When I test on production release which I have on another machine, it is fine.  It is reading lots of extra text about imap syncing which happens a lot.

Also, if you don't turn off the status bar, it will tell you when you move a message to trash, and a bunch of other info which really adds up quickly.  It is certainly a thunderbird change.

Also, some features of the mozilla apps enhancement no longer work such as the ability to sort columns in folders.

Brian.

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 11:24 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
I assume I have the latest version of thunderbird.
ALT+H, A will open the About Thunderbird dialog that will give you information on what version you're running as well as what update channel you are on, where the release update channel is the stable releases.  I don't know what it will say for those running betas, but it won't be "release" channel.

The current version of 32-bit Thunderbird (which is what the vast majority of users will have, even on 64-bit hardware) is 68.6.0 as of this date and time.  If you have a version number any higher than that you're on one of the non-stable-release channels.

Everything I can find indicates that if you want to change from any of the non-release channels to the release channel the easiest way to do so is to download the regular Thunderbird installer (which would be for release channel) and do an install-over install, which should remove the non-release version and replace it.

       ~ Madonna

Betsy Grenevitch

How do I report to Thunderbird what is happening with the beta version? Sorry I know so little so please be patient with me.

On 4/1/2020 9:05 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
One should never, and I mean never, expect that beta versions of any software are going to be completely bug free, and all the more so if one thing (Thunderbird, in this case) is a beta that's significantly in advance of the stable software (NVDA, in this case) it's being used with.

Reports of these issues are very valuable, but you really can't expect that anyone will devote a lot of time to them until the release candidate stage is reached unless it happens to be convenient.  Definitely give the feedback to the folks at Mozilla just like you did here.

       ~ Madonna

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

As I said this is all new to me. How do I turn off the status bar and I will try that. Sorry for so many questions. I will definitely write down the steps in my Thunderbird file.

On 4/1/2020 11:33 PM, Brian Moore wrote:
Hi. This is not nvda at all. When I test on production release which I have on another machine, it is fine.  It is reading lots of extra text about imap syncing which happens a lot.

Also, if you don't turn off the status bar, it will tell you when you move a message to trash, and a bunch of other info which really adds up quickly.  It is certainly a thunderbird change.

Also, some features of the mozilla apps enhancement no longer work such as the ability to sort columns in folders.

Brian.

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

I do not know how to revert back and if I do will all of my emails stay in tact?

Thanks so much for your help.

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 11:42 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
How do I report to Thunderbird what is happening with the beta version?
All bug reports for all Mozilla products (and Thunderbird, which is a spin-off) are handled via bugzilla.  Here is the direct link for Thunderbird related reports:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Thunderbird

Of course, if you don't have a bugzilla account, you will need to create one before you can actually begin reporting bugs.

       ~ Madonna

Hi,

I and Quentin know two Mozilla employees who might be able to help (I’ll get a Twitter love letter going).

Cheers,

Joseph

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 11:50 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
I do not know how to revert back and if I do will all of my emails stay in tact?
As I noted earlier, downloading the regular Thunderbird release channel installer from:  https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/download/
then running it should replace your beta channel install with the regular one.

If you have been using IMAP access, all your e-mail messages are on the server and will still be there and be intact even if you were to uninstall Thunderbird entirely and replace it with another e-mail client.   If an install-over install using the regular channel installer doesn't convert you to the release channel, then you would need to uninstall the beta version manually and then run the release channel installer (and in which case you'd probably have to set up your e-mail accounts again, but I can't guarantee that, as it may give you an option to preserve your existing Thunderbird user profile).

       ~ Madonna

Betsy Grenevitch

Thank you and no I do not have that kind of account.

It is getting late so will have to try this tomorrow.