NVDA is not reading out buttons in Chrome browser

Nayana Lakhwani

Hi All,

I am using NVDA on a Windows10 machine. I have observed the issue below.

NVDA is not reading out Bookmarks, show side panel, Refresh, Forward and back buttons in Google Chrome browser, when we mouse hover on them or even with tab buttons.

Although its reading out all options in Microsoft Edge browser correctly.

Environment:

Windows Version : Windows 10 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1706)

NVDA Version : NVDA 2022.1

Chrome Browser Version:  102.0.5005.115 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Microsoft Edge version102.0.1245.44 (Official build) (64-bit)

Steps to reproduce:

1.     Open chrome browser

2.      Mouse hover on bookmarks option, show side panel button, Refresh button. and verify if NVDA reads out loud all these options

3.     Open Microsoft edge browser and hover on the Favourites, bookmarks button. NVDA reads out all options as we hover over each one of them.

Key Points:

·        Behaviour is same with NVDA and Narrator. Both the screen readers are not reading out chrome browser buttons.

Thanks

Nayana Lakhwani

The first thing I'd try is uninstalling Chrome 32-bit and installing Chrome 64-bit.   All of my machines that have 64-bit hardware have 64-bit Chrome (and all Chromium-based browsers) on them.  I didn't even have to specify when I ran the Chrome installer online, it detected 64-bit hardware and installed the 64-bit version.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

The issue of downloading Chrome just arose in one of the JAWS groups.

The online installer is always at https://www.google.com/chrome
and the offline installer for the current 64-bit version can be obtained from: https://dl.google.com/tag/s/appguid%3D%7B8A69D345-D564-463C-AFF1-A69D9E530F96%7D%26iid%3D%7B7963AE5A-0471-BF21-99EE-0ABC200D2042%7D%26lang%3Den%26browser%3D3%26usagestats%3D0%26appname%3DGoogle%2520Chrome%26needsadmin%3Dprefers%26ap%3Dx64-stable-statsdef_1%26installdataindex%3Dempty/chrome/install/ChromeStandaloneSetup64.exe

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Sarah k Alawami

I believe the 64 bit version can also be found on chocolety as that’s how I update, every few weeks. Much easier for those who love package managers as I do.