NVDA is not reading out buttons in Chrome browser

Nayana Lakhwani

Hi All,

I am using NVDA on a Windows10 machine. I have observed the issue below.

NVDA is not reading out Bookmarks, show side panel, Refresh, Forward and back buttons in Google Chrome browser, when we mouse hover on them or even with tab buttons.

Although its reading out all options in Microsoft Edge browser correctly.

Environment:

Windows Version : Windows 10 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1706)

NVDA Version : NVDA 2022.1

Chrome Browser Version:  102.0.5005.115 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Microsoft Edge version102.0.1245.44 (Official build) (64-bit)

Steps to reproduce:

1.     Open chrome browser

2.      Mouse hover on bookmarks option, show side panel button, Refresh button. and verify if NVDA reads out loud all these options

3.     Open Microsoft edge browser and hover on the Favourites, bookmarks button. NVDA reads out all options as we hover over each one of them.

Key Points:

·        Behaviour is same with NVDA and Narrator. Both the screen readers are not reading out chrome browser buttons.

Thanks

Nayana Lakhwani

The first thing I'd try is uninstalling Chrome 32-bit and installing Chrome 64-bit.   All of my machines that have 64-bit hardware have 64-bit Chrome (and all Chromium-based browsers) on them.  I didn't even have to specify when I ran the Chrome installer online, it detected 64-bit hardware and installed the 64-bit version.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

The issue of downloading Chrome just arose in one of the JAWS groups.

The online installer is always at https://www.google.com/chrome 
and the offline installer for the current 64-bit version can be obtained from: https://dl.google.com/tag/s/appguid%3D%7B8A69D345-D564-463C-AFF1-A69D9E530F96%7D%26iid%3D%7B7963AE5A-0471-BF21-99EE-0ABC200D2042%7D%26lang%3Den%26browser%3D3%26usagestats%3D0%26appname%3DGoogle%2520Chrome%26needsadmin%3Dprefers%26ap%3Dx64-stable-statsdef_1%26installdataindex%3Dempty/chrome/install/ChromeStandaloneSetup64.exe 
--

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Sarah k Alawami

I believe the 64 bit version can also be found on chocolety as that’s how I update, every few weeks. Much easier for those who love package managers as I do.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2022 8:13 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA is not reading out buttons in Chrome browser

and the offline installer for the current 64-bit version can be obtained from: https://dl.google.com/tag/s/appguid%3D%7B8A69D345-D564-463C-AFF1-A69D9E530F96%7D%26iid%3D%7B7963AE5A-0471-BF21-99EE-0ABC200D2042%7D%26lang%3Den%26browser%3D3%26usagestats%3D0%26appname%3DGoogle%2520Chrome%26needsadmin%3Dprefers%26ap%3Dx64-stable-statsdef_1%26installdataindex%3Dempty/chrome/install/ChromeStandaloneSetup64.exe 
--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

You don't need to update in that way.  Chrome-based browsers are supposed to automatically update.  But instead of installing the program to update it, if it isn't automatically updating, use the about dialog.  That dialog tells you if an update is available and there is an update button.  Once you open the about dialog, it may be in slightly different places depending on the Chrome-based browser you are using, have browse mode on.  If you can't move through the interface with the arrow keys, manually turn on Browse mode and it will be accessible and similar to a web page.  There is information at or near the top of the page about updating and whether you are up to date.

In Chrome, about is in the help submenu.

Gene

On 6/18/2022 10:24 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I believe the 64 bit version can also be found on chocolety as that’s how I update, every few weeks. Much easier for those who love package managers as I do.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Nayana Lakhwani

Hi Brian,

I have tried with 64 bit version of Chrome as well, behaviour is same on that also 

Thanks
Nayana Lakhwani

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022, 8:21 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
The first thing I'd try is uninstalling Chrome 32-bit and installing Chrome 64-bit.   All of my machines that have 64-bit hardware have 64-bit Chrome (and all Chromium-based browsers) on them.  I didn't even have to specify when I ran the Chrome installer online, it detected 64-bit hardware and installed the 64-bit version.
--

~ Dorothy Nevill

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 11:32 AM, Gene wrote:
You don't need to update in that way.  Chrome-based browsers are supposed to automatically update.
-
True.

Just to be clear, though, the OP reported a 32-bit version in use.  Even with the subsequent report regarding the same behavior on 64-bit, it still makes sense to use the 64-bit version on 64-bit hardware when that's what has been installing by default for some time now.  It's a mystery to me how 32-bit Chrome landed on a 64-bit box.

I haven't manually updated any browser in ages now, unless you count my relaunching the browser when it tells me I need to relaunch to have the update apply.  They all are good about their own care and feeding.
--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

I was responding to Sarah's comment about how she updates Chrome.  she gave a link from which she evidently manually installs Chrome over itself perhaps every  few weeks.

Gene

On 6/18/2022 11:07 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
You don't need to update in that way.  Chrome-based browsers are supposed to automatically update.
-
True.

Just to be clear, though, the OP reported a 32-bit version in use.  Even with the subsequent report regarding the same behavior on 64-bit, it still makes sense to use the 64-bit version on 64-bit hardware when that's what has been installing by default for some time now.  It's a mystery to me how 32-bit Chrome landed on a 64-bit box.

I haven't manually updated any browser in ages now, unless you count my relaunching the browser when it tells me I need to relaunch to have the update apply.  They all are good about their own care and feeding.
--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Sarah k Alawami

I’d rather update through chocolety, as it  updates in the background, and I have about 30 other windows apps I update in this way, all at once. I don’t trust the about dialogue, ever, not in chrome anyway.  Give me a package manager any day, or give me the installer so I can just update by hand and keep the follinstaller around in case I have to reinstall from scratch.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2022 8:32 AM

You don't need to update in that way.  Chrome-based browsers are supposed to automatically update.  But instead of installing the program to update it, if it isn't automatically updating, use the about dialog.  That dialog tells you if an update is available and there is an update button.  Once you open the about dialog, it may be in slightly different places depending on the Chrome-based browser you are using, have browse mode on.  If you can't move through the interface with the arrow keys, manually turn on Browse mode and it will be accessible and similar to a web page.  There is information at or near the top of the page about updating and whether you are up to date.

Gene

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Sarah k Alawami

not every few weeks. , I just run the process  and if there is an update it will update else skip the program to be updated.

Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2022 9:25 AM

I was responding to Sarah's comment about how she updates Chrome.  she gave a link from which she evidently manually installs Chrome over itself perhaps every  few weeks.

Gene

On 6/18/2022 11:07 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

-
True.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

You may do things in ways that computer users generally don't do things.  That doesn't mean that the general user should do things in a different way.  Chrome-based browsers update in the background.  and on what do you base your distrust of about dialogs?  I haven't seen one computer advisor nor anyone else say they are unreliable.

I have no objection to you doing things as you wish but you are making statements and implications that updating Chrome-based browsers as most computer users do is unreliable or in some way a disadvantage to what you do, with which I most emphatically disagree.

Gene

On 6/18/2022 12:04 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I’d rather update through chocolety, as it  updates in the background, and I have about 30 other windows apps I update in this way, all at once. I don’t trust the about dialogue, ever, not in chrome anyway.  Give me a package manager any day, or give me the installer so I can just update by hand and keep the follinstaller around in case I have to reinstall from scratch.

Gene

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 01:43 PM, Gene wrote:
I have no objection to you doing things as you wish but you are making statements and implications that updating Chrome-based browsers as most computer users do is unreliable or in some way a disadvantage to what you do, with which I most emphatically disagree.
-
As, I believe I can say with assurance, would virtually any professional computer tech out there.  I haven't seen a web browser that's unreliable about self-updating in a very long time and, much like Windows, if you recognize that it's not updating that indicates that something is wrong.

I have no issue with anyone choosing whatever methods they see fit to maintain their machines.  But I agree that casting doubt upon what are generally recognized as rock solid self-updating functions is counterproductive and innacurate.

That being said, we need to redirect this conversation to an "as it relates to NVDA and Chrome interacting" topic.  I can't help because the issue the OP has reported is, as far as my experience goes, singular.

It never hurts to follow The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Actually with chrome, edge, etc you just go to help about and it should update itself then restart or launch.

Just remember to do 1 at a time because it will choak if 2 run.

On 19/06/2022 5:04 am, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Gene

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Sarah k Alawami

I’ve had that update fail. I know it updates by itself , or should, but the normal user is not going to go to chrome://about to find out they are out of date.  Only the advanced user will think of doing this. The last time chrome updated to 100x it took about 2 or so week before I got the update for what ever reason and I use chrome daily as my default. I checked with chocolety and chrome 100x  was there, and updated without needing to launch chrome.

Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2022 10:43 AM

You may do things in ways that computer users generally don't do things.  That doesn't mean that the general user should do things in a different way.  Chrome-based browsers update in the background.  and on what do you base your distrust of about dialogs?  I haven't seen one computer advisor nor anyone else say they are unreliable.

Gene

Gene

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

I never said you shouldn't check off and on to see if you are up-to-date and this is very easy to do in the about dialog.  When you open the about dialog, the program automatically checks to see if it is up to date and if you look through the dialog, you will see that information.  I can't comment on one instance you had.  I can say that it is reliable.  Indeed, it was just this way of checking that told me that one Chrome-based browser wasn't updating because of a router problem I solved by powering down and restarting the router.  The Brave about dialog would say checking for updates and never go further. 

I agree that you should check the about dialog about once a month to be sure the program is current.  But I disagree that the about dialog doesn't do what it should reliably in Chrome browsers, that is, check for updates when you open the dialog and present accurate information.

You took one instance where the dialog may not have worked properly and turned it into a generalization.  One instance is not a [proper basis from which to generalize. 

Gene

On 6/18/2022 5:07 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I’ve had that update fail. I know it updates by itself , or should, but the normal user is not going to go to chrome://about to find out they are out of date.  Only the advanced user will think of doing this. The last time chrome updated to 100x it took about 2 or so week before I got the update for what ever reason and I use chrome daily as my default. I checked with chocolety and chrome 100x  was there, and updated without needing to launch chrome.

Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2022 10:43 AM

Gene

Gene

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

It is also inaccurate, completely inaccurate, to say that one must go to the About page to get Chromium-based browsers to update.  I virtually never do that, and Edge, Vivaldi, Brave, and Chrome all download and apply updates then show an indicator on the main menu that the update will complete when you choose to relaunch the browser.

This has been the case for, literally, years now.  Firefox does this, too, though it's not a Chromium-based browser.
--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Brian's Mail list account

Some browsers need to be watched as occasionally, they regress at least from our point of view Waterfox did this and I held off updating for some months till the crashing with nvda randomly was resolved.
I sometimes feel that software writers are too fast at pumping out their updates before exhaustively testing them, particularly with access software.
On the 32 bit thing. I agree, never use the 32 bit ones. Firefox went through a period where the 32 bit at that time was inaccessible, some years back now but it can occur.
Brian

--
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2022 6:43 PM

You may do things in ways that computer users generally don't do
things. That doesn't mean that the general user should do things in a
different way. Chrome-based browsers update in the background. and on
what do you base your distrust of about dialogs? I haven't seen one
computer advisor nor anyone else say they are unreliable.

I have no objection to you doing things as you wish but you are making
statements and implications that updating Chrome-based browsers as most
computer users do is unreliable or in some way a disadvantage to what
you do, with which I most emphatically disagree.

Gene

I’d rather update through chocolety, as it updates in the background,
and I have about 30 other windows apps I update in this way, all at
once. I don’t trust the about dialogue, ever, not in chrome anyway.
Give me a package manager any day, or give me the installer so I can
just update by hand and keep the follinstaller around in case I have
to reinstall from scratch.

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Gene
*Sent:* Saturday, June 18, 2022 8:32 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] NVDA is not reading out buttons in Chrome browser

You don't need to update in that way. Chrome-based browsers are
supposed to automatically update. But instead of installing the
program to update it, if it isn't automatically updating, use the
about dialog. That dialog tells you if an update is available and
there is an update button. Once you open the about dialog, it may be
in slightly different places depending on the Chrome-based browser you
are using, have browse mode on. If you can't move through the
interface with the arrow keys, manually turn on Browse mode and it
will be accessible and similar to a web page. There is information at
or near the top of the page about updating and whether you are up to date.

Gene

I believe the 64 bit version can also be found on chocolety as
that’s how I update, every few weeks. Much easier for those who
love package managers as I do.

<nvda@nvda.groups.io> <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of
*Brian Vogel
*Sent:* Saturday, June 18, 2022 8:13 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] NVDA is not reading out buttons in Chrome
browser

and the offline installer for the current 64-bit version can be
obtained from:
https://dl.google.com/tag/s/appguid%3D%7B8A69D345-D564-463C-AFF1-A69D9E530F96%7D%26iid%3D%7B7963AE5A-0471-BF21-99EE-0ABC200D2042%7D%26lang%3Den%26browser%3D3%26usagestats%3D0%26appname%3DGoogle%2520Chrome%26needsadmin%3Dprefers%26ap%3Dx64-stable-statsdef_1%26installdataindex%3Dempty/chrome/install/ChromeStandaloneSetup64.exe

--

Brian *-* Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

/The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing
in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the
tempting moment./

~ Dorothy Nevill

Dave Grossoehme

You are correct, if the settings in that browser is set to automatically update for you.

Dave

On 6/18/2022 6:58 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
It is also inaccurate, completely inaccurate, to say that one must go to the About page to get Chromium-based browsers to update.  I virtually never do that, and Edge, Vivaldi, Brave, and Chrome all download and apply updates then show an indicator on the main menu that the update will complete when you choose to relaunch the browser.

This has been the case for, literally, years now.  Firefox does this, too, though it's not a Chromium-based browser.
--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

As far as I know, Chrome-based browsers don't have user adjustable settings for when updates occur.  They should occur automatically.

Gene

On 6/21/2022 10:39 AM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

You are correct, if the settings in that browser is set to automatically update for you.

Dave

On 6/18/2022 6:58 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Mo Khan

hi there, do you have the latest version of chrome? also perhaps try restarting the machine then reloading the browser. good luck. thank you. Mo.

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 3:45 PM Nayana Lakhwani <nayanalakhwani@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I am using NVDA on a Windows10 machine. I have observed the issue below.

NVDA is not reading out Bookmarks, show side panel, Refresh, Forward and back buttons in Google Chrome browser, when we mouse hover on them or even with tab buttons.

image.png

Although its reading out all options in Microsoft Edge browser correctly.

Environment:

Windows Version : Windows 10 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1706)

NVDA Version : NVDA 2022.1

Chrome Browser Version:  102.0.5005.115 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Microsoft Edge version102.0.1245.44 (Official build) (64-bit)

Steps to reproduce:

1.     Open chrome browser

2.      Mouse hover on bookmarks option, show side panel button, Refresh button. and verify if NVDA reads out loud all these options

3.     Open Microsoft edge browser and hover on the Favourites, bookmarks button. NVDA reads out all options as we hover over each one of them.

Key Points:

·        Behaviour is same with NVDA and Narrator. Both the screen readers are not reading out chrome browser buttons.

Thanks

Nayana Lakhwani