Topics

NVDA is too verbose on Youtube?

Gerardo Corripio

I’ve a friend here in my city, whom I’m trying to convince that NVDA is the way to go these days, instead of the Shark, but he insists that he doesn’t like “the Martian” as he calls jokingly NVDA, Because especially on Youtube, it’s very verbose! You can be watching a video, and it’ll start reading off the comments for instance, when the Shark doesn’t do this. I tell him that the solution would be to, while on Youtube, to via the nvda+S to silence the speech, and when he needs to change videos or interact, regain speech via the before-mentioned combo. He and I have gone through the settings just to check if maybe there’s a setting that’ll make it behave better with Youtube? We turned off the Automatic Reading of sites. Any other ideas you guys could come up with? That might help?

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

Gene

I don't think automatic reading of sites has anything to do with this
and I would recommend you turn it back on. It appears you are
referring to the automatic read when a site finishes loading feature,
which is a very good way to know when a site has loaded. Others may
know of a setting, but I doubt there is one. and changing settings
just to stop this unwanted automatic reading may have other
detrimental effects on other sites if something is available that may
stop this behavior.

I'll add that, as a comment on the situation, I have no patience with
someone who makes a tiny inconvenience into a major issue to the point
where it is a decisive factor in using NVDA or not. Using the stop
speech command is such a tiny inconvenience that I can't help but
wonder if the person simply doesn't want to change, no matter what. I
don't even consider it an inconvenience. Its so trivial that its just
something you do. I wouldn't be surprised if the person does trivial
things when using JAWS he/she might not need to do with NVDA.

Gene

On 3/28/20, Gerardo Corripio <gera1027@...> wrote:
I’ve a friend here in my city, whom I’m trying to convince that NVDA is the
way to go these days, instead of the Shark, but he insists that he doesn’t
like “the Martian” as he calls jokingly NVDA, Because especially on Youtube,
it’s very verbose! You can be watching a video, and it’ll start reading off
the comments for instance, when the Shark doesn’t do this. I tell him that
the solution would be to, while on Youtube, to via the nvda+S to silence the
speech, and when he needs to change videos or interact, regain speech via
the before-mentioned combo. He and I have gone through the settings just to
check if maybe there’s a setting that’ll make it behave better with Youtube?
We turned off the Automatic Reading of sites. Any other ideas you guys could
come up with? That might help?

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

Rob Hudson

Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I don't think automatic reading of sites has anything to do with this
and I would recommend you turn it back on.
Snip
Others may know of a setting, but I doubt there is one.
This is what they call live regions, I think, in html-land. There is no setting in NVDA to handle these. Your only option is to silence speech or hit the control key.

Gene

If this is what I think it is, not being able to stop automatic
reading of live regions sounds like a serious deficiency. I believe
there are sites, such as financial sites, where a stock ticker might
be a live region. How can you work well with a site of that sort if
the live region is constantly trying to speak as information changes?
Does JAWS have a feature to stop automatic reading of live regions and
am I correct about what they do and that this may be a serious problem
on some sites?

Having said that, if the original poster doesn't use such sites, and I
suspect the majority of people don't, and if the only problem is the
youtube problem, I still consider that to be an absurd reason to
prefer one screen-reader over another.
Gene

Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Does JAWS have a feature to stop automatic reading of live regions and
am I correct about what they do and that this may be a serious problem
on some sites?
To my knowledge, the only screen reader that has anything at all in its settings about live regions is Orca for GNU/Linux.
Stock tickers, facebook, twitter and other websites where messaging is a feature all use the live regions thing, now. And NVDA does not have a setting about dynamic content such as these. I don't know why, either.