NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS


Ervin, Glenn
 

I install NVDA for my clients and it is great out of the box because it reads what the mouse pointer is moving over.
I'm pretty sure Jaws can be set to do this, but I have not learned how, because I don't care about that.
But for folks with low vision who are struggling to read the screen, it is a good way to get them started with using a screenreader, and most of them like having eMails read to them, and hearing the keys spoken when typing.
But I'm still a Jaws user primarily and as such, I haven't learned all the NVDA commands, but it is my fallback screenreader when Jaws isn't cooperating.
Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of ely.r@comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:57 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

Hey all,
Not going to chime in too much about which is better or the best screen reader. I use both the candidates. For me, what is crucial is cost. I have been a TVI for twenty-five years. It has frequently been difficult to convince school districts to purchase either JAWS or WindowEyes for students particularly those whose conditions may mean that either will not meet been their long term needs. The APH version of JAWS has changed this.

However, as part of the Baby Boomer generation, I am also aware of the staggering numbers of my cohort who will be losing vision in the next several decades. Frighteningly, that population will be even larger due to the increases of vision loss across all ages. As just one example, the incidence of diabetic retinopathy has increased over 80% due in large part to our American diet.

We Boomers are the first generation of seniors for whom computers have become part of everyday life. Many of us will be on relatively fixed incomes. The access features built into Windows may serve some individuals, and Microsoft may continue to improve those. However, it is very likely that many more of us will be in need of a highly functional screen reader that will allow us to keep using computers.
NV Access has as its goal, to make a constantly improved screen reader available to anyone. The cost of other options for older computer addicts may make other screen readers simply out of reach. Some folks on the list are rightfully concerned about the open source model of NVDA. So much of the ongoing development comes from individuals giving freely of their time. My hope is that aging vision loss will actually grow support for this model, both monetarily and in the volunteer pool. Maybe too, the operating systems will continue to work to produce screen readers that are every bit as functional as both JAWS and NVDA. For the future, my hopes are that there will be tools that allow everyone access to what looks to be all of our futures.
No one paid me to add the PSA announcement below.
P.S. Please when you get to that part of downloading your next NVDA upgrade, where the installer asks, "Donate Now, "press that button before going further. If you can, think of a monthly donation like you think of your internet service agreement, and make it monthly.
Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of bob jutzi
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 3:41 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

I'm sure it depends what software you use; but for me, I'm strictly a home user running NVDA for over two years and love it. Along with supporting Omnipage, the KNFB Reader Windows 10 app, iTunes, Thunderbird, etc. extremely well, NVDA is extremely responsive. No offense against JAWS users, just don't see the reason for such a ridiculous upgrade price tag. It's not like it's still the 90's and Windows screen access for the blind is still in its infancy.

Bob



On 4/19/2018 3:30 PM, Angela Delicata wrote:
Hi,

I removed Jaws completely from my PC and have been using nvda only
since last october... I do exactly the same things as Jaws: web
navigation, checking emails, using text programs et.

I can say in same occations nvda is even better than Jaws... so no
need for it now.

Honestly, I may say those who speak bad of nvda is only because they
do not know it enough.


Ciao

Angela from Italy



Il 19/04/2018 19:04, Inam Uddin via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Dear friends, the matter of fact is that I’m using JAWS as my primary
screen reader since I have started using computer for the first time
in year 2010.
The latest tutorial of NVDA by Joseph Lee made me interested in using
NVDA.
So I have downloaded and installed it and since then I have been
using it as my secondary screen reader!
I’m very happy to let you know that NVDA is well ahead of JAWS
specially in the area of accessibility!
Friends, I’d like to request you to please comment about my
observation if it is right?
Please let me know the pros and cons of my observation!
With regards from Inamuddin with the Skype ID:
Charlsdarwin1


Arguing with a woman is reading software license agreement.
At the end, you have to ignore everything and clic I agree.
You can contact me via gmail:
inamuddin09@gmail.com
outlook:
inam092@outlook.com
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca
AOL:
charlsdarwin1969@aol.com
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
Call me on my cell numbers:
+1-631-5335683
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409





Inam Uddin
 

Dear friends, in my opinion, if you take the same features which JAWS and NVDA both have in common, you will find out that the feature NVDA takes first and JAWS does follow!

For example VFO has updated JAWS 2018 today in which it gave more accessibility in windows setting which NVDA already have!

Here I do not mean which screen reader is better but I simply ment that NVAccess is doing more efforts than VFO specially in the area of accessibility!

With regards from Inamuddin with the Skype ID:

Charlsdarwin1

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: David Moore
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 4:45 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

 

Exactly!

I use NVDA for many tasks, JAWS for many tasks, and even Narrator for other tasks. Each screen reader has its own specialties to be better in different apps, the web, and desktop programs. JAWS does a little better in Chrome, for example. NVDA does great in the win10 mail app. Narrator does very well in the Store app and Skype app. I use all screen readers to be as fast as I can and get the most done. I am not loyal to one screen reader like my wife LOL! The more tools you have, the more you can do. I use three browsers, for example, to do different tasks. Have a great one!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Ashley Wayne
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:25 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

 

Hey all,
I am enjoying this thread.  I don't see any need or reason to insist that one screenreader is inherently better overall than another.  They each may work better for different tasks or one just may find one easier to use than another.  In my case, I use nvda most, but have relied on jaws for working with pdf documents, as I find for me it seems to be a bit easier to manipulate.  I will sometimes try narrator as well, it is so nice to have choices.  It's just like with phones or computers, it's preference and/or tailoring to what specific task you need a screenreader for.  I'm personally apprecitive of microsoft, vfo and nv access for all their hard work.

 

On Apr 19, 2018 5:11 PM, "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

It's worth pointing out that, although Window-eyes will become increasingly less useful over time, it still would be worth keeping around because you might find something it does better than JAWS or NVDA.  Just because it is no longer updated doesn't mean it may not be useful for certain tasks.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:42 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

 

Indeed.

It's exactly the same as choosing a web browser - there is no single "best"
choice.  Some people prefer Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, or whatever;
sometimes one works with a particular website better than others; some have
features which you don't often need but are really useful on occasion.

So, having several web browsers installed so you can choose which one to use
at any given time is good; the same thing goes for screen readers - there is
no single "best" choice, it depends on what you're trying to do, and sometimes
what you feel most comfortable / familiar with.


Antony.

On Thursday 19 April 2018 at 23:34:30, Dan Kerstetter wrote:

> After following this thread, I’ve decided to put in my 1.5 cents.  (smile)
>
> As a blind person who has used a computer for a long time with many
> different screen readers, I feel that one can never have too many.  Some
> things JAWS is better at than NVDA and vice versa.  I’ve actually had to
> switch between screen readers in the middle of performing a task on the
> web simply because one will work and the other won’t for one specific part
> of a task.  Thanks for reading.
>
> Dan K

--
The Magic Words are Squeamish Ossifrage.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.

 

 

 


Jason White
 

I use JAWS extensively for its excellent braille and Microsoft Office support,
but NVDA is improving in these areas. The BrailleExtender add-on is very good,
for example. On my system, at least, with applications such as Microsoft
Outlook, NVDA doesn't seem to crash as JAWS does. Perhaps I've simply been
lucky.

I've noticed some bugs in NVDA 2018.1.1, but, on the other hand, I'm aware of
some JAWS bugs as well. Perhaps I should go to GitHub and report the NVDA
bugs, or raise them on the list.

All of the screen readers that I have used have their advantages and
drawbacks. They all have bugs, too. So do operating systems and applications,
where many of the accessibility issues lie. Choose whatever combinations best
meet your needs. As others have suggested, having multiple screen readers
available is a good situation to be in.


Afik Suffir <afik.sofir@...>
 

b.h
hello,
I agree with all of you here, every screen reader have its fetuares.
I have a question: does NVDA have screen curtain fetuare?
Thanks and best wishes
Afik Suffir
Btw, sorry for the errors.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason
White via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 3:44 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

I use JAWS extensively for its excellent braille and Microsoft Office
support, but NVDA is improving in these areas. The BrailleExtender add-on is
very good, for example. On my system, at least, with applications such as
Microsoft Outlook, NVDA doesn't seem to crash as JAWS does. Perhaps I've
simply been lucky.

I've noticed some bugs in NVDA 2018.1.1, but, on the other hand, I'm aware
of some JAWS bugs as well. Perhaps I should go to GitHub and report the NVDA
bugs, or raise them on the list.

All of the screen readers that I have used have their advantages and
drawbacks. They all have bugs, too. So do operating systems and
applications, where many of the accessibility issues lie. Choose whatever
combinations best meet your needs. As others have suggested, having multiple
screen readers available is a good situation to be in.


David Moore
 

Hi!

No, it does not!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Afik Suffir
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 2:54 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

 

b.h

hello,

I agree with all of you here, every screen reader have its fetuares.

I have a question: does NVDA have screen curtain fetuare?

Thanks and best wishes

Afik Suffir

Btw, sorry for the errors.

 

 

 

-----Original Message-----

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason

White via Groups.Io

Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 3:44 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

 

I use JAWS extensively for its excellent braille and Microsoft Office

support, but NVDA is improving in these areas. The BrailleExtender add-on is

very good, for example. On my system, at least, with applications such as

Microsoft Outlook, NVDA doesn't seem to crash as JAWS does. Perhaps I've

simply been lucky.

 

I've noticed some bugs in NVDA 2018.1.1, but, on the other hand, I'm aware

of some JAWS bugs as well. Perhaps I should go to GitHub and report the NVDA

bugs, or raise them on the list.

 

All of the screen readers that I have used have their advantages and

drawbacks. They all have bugs, too. So do operating systems and

applications, where many of the accessibility issues lie. Choose whatever

combinations best meet your needs. As others have suggested, having multiple

screen readers available is a good situation to be in.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Tea Turković
 

I removed JAWS completely in spring 2011 because it worked very slow on my PC. I started using NVDA in 2010 and since 2011 it's the only screen reader I dayli use.

I don't support development of JAWS because it doesn't follow changes in field of technology as expected, it's too expensive and it doesn't lead to our better digital inclusion, in my oppinion.


19.4.2018. u 21:33, Sky Mundell je napisao/la:

That's true. Although JAWS does have tools which I use at work such as Text Analyzer, skim reading, etc. Skim reading is in NVDA and I think Text Amalyzer could as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Angela Delicata
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:31 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

Hi,

I removed Jaws completely from my PC and have been using nvda only since
last october... I do exactly the same things as Jaws: web navigation,
checking emails, using text programs et.

I can say in same occations nvda is even better than Jaws... so no need
for it now.

Honestly, I may say those who speak bad of nvda is only because they do
not know it enough.


Ciao

Angela from Italy



Il 19/04/2018 19:04, Inam Uddin via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Dear friends, the matter of fact is that I’m using JAWS as my primary screen reader since I have started using computer for the first time in year 2010.
The latest tutorial of NVDA by Joseph Lee made me interested in using NVDA.
So I have downloaded and installed it and since then I have been using it as my secondary screen reader!
I’m very happy to let you know that NVDA is well ahead of JAWS specially in the area of accessibility!
Friends, I’d like to request you to please comment about my observation if it is right?
Please let me know the pros and cons of my observation!
With regards from Inamuddin with the Skype ID:
Charlsdarwin1


Arguing with a woman is reading software license agreement.
At the end, you have to ignore everything and clic I agree.
You can contact me via gmail:
inamuddin09@gmail.com
outlook:
inam092@outlook.com
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca
AOL:
charlsdarwin1969@aol.com
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
Call me on my cell numbers:
+1-631-5335683
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409





Tea Turković
 

It would be excellent when more companies would colaborate with NV Access to make their desktop apps accessible with NVDA.


19.4.2018. u 22:35, bob jutzi je napisao/la:

I did neglect to give an example, Quicken.
I used Quicken from 2000-13 with Window-eyes.  Since the discontinuation of Window-eyes, had I continued using it rather than switching to my bank's iOS app, this would require me to use JAWS since unfortunately, NVDA doesn't support Quicken enough to make it useable.

On 4/19/2018 3:41 PM, bob jutzi wrote:
I'm sure it depends what software you use; but for me, I'm strictly a home user running NVDA for over two years and love it.  Along with supporting Omnipage, the KNFB Reader Windows 10 app, iTunes, Thunderbird, etc. extremely well, NVDA is extremely responsive.  No offense against JAWS users, just don't see the reason for such a ridiculous upgrade price tag.  It's not like it's still the 90's and Windows screen access for the blind is still in its infancy.

Bob



On 4/19/2018 3:30 PM, Angela Delicata wrote:
Hi,

I removed Jaws completely from my PC and have been using nvda only since last october... I do exactly the same things as Jaws: web navigation, checking emails, using text programs et.

I can say in same occations nvda is even better than Jaws... so no need for it now.

Honestly, I may say those who speak bad of nvda is only because they do not know it enough.


Ciao

Angela from Italy



Il 19/04/2018 19:04, Inam Uddin via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Dear friends, the matter of fact is that I’m using JAWS as my primary screen reader since I have started using computer for the first time in year 2010.
The latest tutorial of NVDA by Joseph Lee made me interested in using NVDA.
So I have downloaded and installed it and since then I have been using it as my secondary screen reader!
I’m very happy to let you know that NVDA is well ahead of JAWS specially in the area of accessibility!
Friends, I’d like to request you to  please comment about my observation if it is right?
Please let me know the pros and cons of my observation!
With regards from Inamuddin with the Skype ID:
Charlsdarwin1


Arguing with a woman is reading software license agreement.
At the end, you have to ignore everything and clic I agree.
You can contact me via gmail:
inamuddin09@gmail.com
outlook:
inam092@outlook.com
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca
AOL:
charlsdarwin1969@aol.com
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
Call me on my cell numbers:
+1-631-5335683
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409






Mallard
 

Well... I abandoned Jaws in 2009 and, when I installed a demo last year to try it out, I found that I simply didn't know how to use it anymoer... I uninstalled it, and that was it. I ralise it would be handy to have it, at least as demo (I wouldn't buy it at this point...), but I'm too lazy to sit down and re-learn it.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 20/04/2018 01:45, David Moore ha scritto:

Exactly!

I use NVDA for many tasks, JAWS for many tasks, and even Narrator for other tasks. Each screen reader has its own specialties to be better in different apps, the web, and desktop programs. JAWS does a little better in Chrome, for example. NVDA does great in the win10 mail app. Narrator does very well in the Store app and Skype app. I use all screen readers to be as fast as I can and get the most done. I am not loyal to one screen reader like my wife LOL! The more tools you have, the more you can do. I use three browsers, for example, to do different tasks. Have a great one!

David Moore

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

*From: *Ashley Wayne <mailto:a.r.wayne2008@gmail.com>
*Sent: *Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:25 PM
*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject: *Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

Hey all,
I am enjoying this thread.  I don't see any need or reason to insist that one screenreader is inherently better overall than another.  They each may work better for different tasks or one just may find one easier to use than another.  In my case, I use nvda most, but have relied on jaws for working with pdf documents, as I find for me it seems to be a bit easier to manipulate.  I will sometimes try narrator as well, it is so nice to have choices.  It's just like with phones or computers, it's preference and/or tailoring to what specific task you need a screenreader for.  I'm personally apprecitive of microsoft, vfo and nv access for all their hard work.

On Apr 19, 2018 5:11 PM, "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com <mailto:gsasner@ripco.com>> wrote:

It's worth pointing out that, although Window-eyes will become
increasingly less useful over time, it still would be worth
keeping around because you might find something it does better
than JAWS or NVDA.  Just because it is no longer updated doesn't
mean it may not be useful for certain tasks.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

*From:*Antony Stone <mailto:antony.stone@nvda.open.source.it>

*Sent:*Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:42 PM

*To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

*Subject:*Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

Indeed.

It's exactly the same as choosing a web browser - there is no
single "best"
choice.  Some people prefer Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, or
whatever;
sometimes one works with a particular website better than others;
some have
features which you don't often need but are really useful on occasion.

So, having several web browsers installed so you can choose which
one to use
at any given time is good; the same thing goes for screen readers
- there is
no single "best" choice, it depends on what you're trying to do,
and sometimes
what you feel most comfortable / familiar with.


Antony.

On Thursday 19 April 2018 at 23:34:30, Dan Kerstetter wrote:

> After following this thread, I’ve decided to put in my 1.5
cents.  (smile)
>
> As a blind person who has used a computer for a long time with many
> different screen readers, I feel that one can never have too
many.  Some
> things JAWS is better at than NVDA and vice versa.  I’ve
actually had to
> switch between screen readers in the middle of performing a task
on the
> web simply because one will work and the other won’t for one
specific part
> of a task.  Thanks for reading.
>
> Dan K

--
The Magic Words are Squeamish Ossifrage.

Please reply to the list;
                                                         please
*don't* CC me.



 

Well in some cases narator is good in scan mode as a secondary screen reader.

There are bits nvda doesn't read that it does.

On 4/20/2018 11:25 AM, Ashley Wayne wrote:
Hey all,
I am enjoying this thread. I don't see any need or reason to insist that
one screenreader is inherently better overall than another. They each may
work better for different tasks or one just may find one easier to use than
another. In my case, I use nvda most, but have relied on jaws for working
with pdf documents, as I find for me it seems to be a bit easier to
manipulate. I will sometimes try narrator as well, it is so nice to have
choices. It's just like with phones or computers, it's preference and/or
tailoring to what specific task you need a screenreader for. I'm
personally apprecitive of microsoft, vfo and nv access for all their hard
work.

On Apr 19, 2018 5:11 PM, "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:

It's worth pointing out that, although Window-eyes will become increasingly
less useful over time, it still would be worth keeping around because you
might find something it does better than JAWS or NVDA. Just because it is
no longer updated doesn't mean it may not be useful for certain tasks.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Antony Stone <antony.stone@nvda.open.source.it>
*Sent:* Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:42 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

Indeed.

It's exactly the same as choosing a web browser - there is no single "best"
choice. Some people prefer Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, or whatever;
sometimes one works with a particular website better than others; some have
features which you don't often need but are really useful on occasion.

So, having several web browsers installed so you can choose which one to
use
at any given time is good; the same thing goes for screen readers - there
is
no single "best" choice, it depends on what you're trying to do, and
sometimes
what you feel most comfortable / familiar with.


Antony.

On Thursday 19 April 2018 at 23:34:30, Dan Kerstetter wrote:

After following this thread, I’ve decided to put in my 1.5 cents. (smile)

As a blind person who has used a computer for a long time with many
different screen readers, I feel that one can never have too many. Some
things JAWS is better at than NVDA and vice versa. I’ve actually had to
switch between screen readers in the middle of performing a task on the
web simply because one will work and the other won’t for one specific part
of a task. Thanks for reading.

Dan K


Angela Delicata
 

Yes, but we can find apps which are not accesible using Jaws also: this depends more on the producer of a specific software rather than nvaccess.

So, I agree on what you say , but this applies to  Jaws also.

Il 20/04/2018 10:06, Tea Turković ha scritto:
It would be excellent when more companies would colaborate with NV Access to make their desktop apps accessible with NVDA.


19.4.2018. u 22:35, bob jutzi je napisao/la:
I did neglect to give an example, Quicken.
I used Quicken from 2000-13 with Window-eyes.  Since the discontinuation of Window-eyes, had I continued using it rather than switching to my bank's iOS app, this would require me to use JAWS since unfortunately, NVDA doesn't support Quicken enough to make it useable.

On 4/19/2018 3:41 PM, bob jutzi wrote:
I'm sure it depends what software you use; but for me, I'm strictly a home user running NVDA for over two years and love it.  Along with supporting Omnipage, the KNFB Reader Windows 10 app, iTunes, Thunderbird, etc. extremely well, NVDA is extremely responsive.  No offense against JAWS users, just don't see the reason for such a ridiculous upgrade price tag.  It's not like it's still the 90's and Windows screen access for the blind is still in its infancy.

Bob



On 4/19/2018 3:30 PM, Angela Delicata wrote:
Hi,

I removed Jaws completely from my PC and have been using nvda only since last october... I do exactly the same things as Jaws: web navigation, checking emails, using text programs et.

I can say in same occations nvda is even better than Jaws... so no need for it now.

Honestly, I may say those who speak bad of nvda is only because they do not know it enough.


Ciao

Angela from Italy



Il 19/04/2018 19:04, Inam Uddin via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Dear friends, the matter of fact is that I’m using JAWS as my primary screen reader since I have started using computer for the first time in year 2010.
The latest tutorial of NVDA by Joseph Lee made me interested in using NVDA.
So I have downloaded and installed it and since then I have been using it as my secondary screen reader!
I’m very happy to let you know that NVDA is well ahead of JAWS specially in the area of accessibility!
Friends, I’d like to request you to  please comment about my observation if it is right?
Please let me know the pros and cons of my observation!
With regards from Inamuddin with the Skype ID:
Charlsdarwin1


Arguing with a woman is reading software license agreement.
At the end, you have to ignore everything and clic I agree.
You can contact me via gmail:
inamuddin09@gmail.com
outlook:
inam092@outlook.com
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca
AOL:
charlsdarwin1969@aol.com
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
Call me on my cell numbers:
+1-631-5335683
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409








Angela Delicata
 

very well said: good analysis of things.

Il 19/04/2018 21:43, Gene ha scritto:
There are some uses for which JAWS is better. My impression is that NVDA is either as good or better than JAWS for typical uses such as browsing, e-mail, working with audio players, and doing other things the majority of users do. But JAWS is much more user configurable and the user who knows how to do so can make it work with many programs that aren't widely used, but that the person may want or need. A lot of users won't have a need or wish to do so but the ability to customize JAWS is important for some users.

And there are times when JAWS works with a certain program better and where NVDA works with a specific program better.

It's common to see the attitude among committed NVDA users that it is very superior and to pretty much dismiss JAWS. that isn't a proper view. for some, perhaps many, users, NVDA would be superior. but there are blind people who rely on JAWS in important ways. It's far better to have choices and I don't hope to see the demise of JAWS.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Dear friends, the matter of fact is that I’m using JAWS as my primary screen reader since I have started using computer for the first time in year 2010.
The latest tutorial of NVDA by Joseph Lee made me interested in using NVDA.
So I have downloaded and installed it and since then I have been using it as my secondary screen reader!
I’m very happy to let you know that NVDA is well ahead of JAWS specially in the area of accessibility!
Friends, I’d like to request you to please comment about my observation if it is right?
Please let me know the pros and cons of my observation!
With regards from Inamuddin with the Skype ID:
Charlsdarwin1


Arguing with a woman is reading software license agreement.
At the end, you have to ignore everything and clic I agree.
You can contact me via gmail:
inamuddin09@gmail.com
outlook:
inam092@outlook.com
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca
AOL:
charlsdarwin1969@aol.com
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
Call me on my cell numbers:
+1-631-5335683
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409



Devin Prater
 

Well, with all of the computers that I use, NVDA is sluggish with Microsoft Word text areas. So, until NVDA, and yes even Narrator, get that fixed, JAWS is the only viable solution for Office users. Sure, NVDA developers say they’ve never experienced this, but on my laptop with 8 gigs ram, quad core threaded CPU, and 64 bit Windows, and a beefy workstation with 16 gigs of ram, an SSD, and so on, NVDA still lags with Word text areas, this means the document pane pretty much, as well as the Outlook message box. So, JAWS still has that main use for professional Office users and students.

On Apr 20, 2018, at 3:39 AM, Angela Delicata <angeladelicata@gmail.com> wrote:

very well said: good analysis of things.



Il 19/04/2018 21:43, Gene ha scritto:
There are some uses for which JAWS is better. My impression is that NVDA is either as good or better than JAWS for typical uses such as browsing, e-mail, working with audio players, and doing other things the majority of users do. But JAWS is much more user configurable and the user who knows how to do so can make it work with many programs that aren't widely used, but that the person may want or need. A lot of users won't have a need or wish to do so but the ability to customize JAWS is important for some users.

And there are times when JAWS works with a certain program better and where NVDA works with a specific program better.

It's common to see the attitude among committed NVDA users that it is very superior and to pretty much dismiss JAWS. that isn't a proper view. for some, perhaps many, users, NVDA would be superior. but there are blind people who rely on JAWS in important ways. It's far better to have choices and I don't hope to see the demise of JAWS.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Dear friends, the matter of fact is that I’m using JAWS as my primary screen reader since I have started using computer for the first time in year 2010.
The latest tutorial of NVDA by Joseph Lee made me interested in using NVDA.
So I have downloaded and installed it and since then I have been using it as my secondary screen reader!
I’m very happy to let you know that NVDA is well ahead of JAWS specially in the area of accessibility!
Friends, I’d like to request you to please comment about my observation if it is right?
Please let me know the pros and cons of my observation!
With regards from Inamuddin with the Skype ID:
Charlsdarwin1


Arguing with a woman is reading software license agreement.
At the end, you have to ignore everything and clic I agree.
You can contact me via gmail:
inamuddin09@gmail.com
outlook:
inam092@outlook.com
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca
AOL:
charlsdarwin1969@aol.com
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
Call me on my cell numbers:
+1-631-5335683
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409





Angelo Sonnesso
 

I use both NVDA and Jaws, and for the most part they both work equally well.
There are some programs that work better with Jaws, and many program that work better with NVDA.
QuickBooks works well with NVDA and so do many of the ham radio programs I use.
Jaws has the advantage with the office suite, but for most people NVDA and office work well.

Occasionally I find software that will only behave with Narrator, but Narrator is not ready for prime time.
Stay Well.

73 N2DYN Angelo

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Angela Delicata
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 4:35 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

Yes, but we can find apps which are not accesible using Jaws also: this depends more on the producer of a specific software rather than nvaccess.

So, I agree on what you say , but this applies to Jaws also.

Il 20/04/2018 10:06, Tea Turković ha scritto:
It would be excellent when more companies would colaborate with NV
Access to make their desktop apps accessible with NVDA.


19.4.2018. u 22:35, bob jutzi je napisao/la:
I did neglect to give an example, Quicken.
I used Quicken from 2000-13 with Window-eyes. Since the
discontinuation of Window-eyes, had I continued using it rather than
switching to my bank's iOS app, this would require me to use JAWS
since unfortunately, NVDA doesn't support Quicken enough to make it
useable.

On 4/19/2018 3:41 PM, bob jutzi wrote:
I'm sure it depends what software you use; but for me, I'm strictly
a home user running NVDA for over two years and love it. Along with
supporting Omnipage, the KNFB Reader Windows 10 app, iTunes,
Thunderbird, etc. extremely well, NVDA is extremely responsive. No
offense against JAWS users, just don't see the reason for such a
ridiculous upgrade price tag. It's not like it's still the 90's and
Windows screen access for the blind is still in its infancy.

Bob



On 4/19/2018 3:30 PM, Angela Delicata wrote:
Hi,

I removed Jaws completely from my PC and have been using nvda only
since last october... I do exactly the same things as Jaws: web
navigation, checking emails, using text programs et.

I can say in same occations nvda is even better than Jaws... so no
need for it now.

Honestly, I may say those who speak bad of nvda is only because
they do not know it enough.


Ciao

Angela from Italy



Il 19/04/2018 19:04, Inam Uddin via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Dear friends, the matter of fact is that I’m using JAWS as my
primary screen reader since I have started using computer for the
first time in year 2010.
The latest tutorial of NVDA by Joseph Lee made me interested in
using NVDA.
So I have downloaded and installed it and since then I have been
using it as my secondary screen reader!
I’m very happy to let you know that NVDA is well ahead of JAWS
specially in the area of accessibility!
Friends, I’d like to request you to please comment about my
observation if it is right?
Please let me know the pros and cons of my observation!
With regards from Inamuddin with the Skype ID:
Charlsdarwin1


Arguing with a woman is reading software license agreement.
At the end, you have to ignore everything and clic I agree.
You can contact me via gmail:
inamuddin09@gmail.com
outlook:
inam092@outlook.com
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca
AOL:
charlsdarwin1969@aol.com
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
Call me on my cell numbers:
+1-631-5335683
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409









Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Group,


Since many people like a pop3/IMAP local mail client and since many of same really miss Outlook Express, many use Thunderbird.  I can say categorically that for whatever reason, NVDA runs rings around JAWS in Thunderbird.  This is my personal experience as to why I use exclusively NVDA and almost never use JAWS any more.

On 4/19/2018 3:30 PM, Angela Delicata wrote:
Hi,

I removed Jaws completely from my PC and have been using nvda only since last october... I do exactly the same things as Jaws: web navigation, checking emails, using text programs et.

I can say in same occations nvda is even better than Jaws... so no need for it now.

Honestly, I may say those who speak bad of nvda is only because they do not know it enough.


Ciao

Angela from Italy



Il 19/04/2018 19:04, Inam Uddin via Groups.Io ha scritto:
Dear friends, the matter of fact is that I’m using JAWS as my primary screen reader since I have started using computer for the first time in year 2010.
The latest tutorial of NVDA by Joseph Lee made me interested in using NVDA.
So I have downloaded and installed it and since then I have been using it as my secondary screen reader!
I’m very happy to let you know that NVDA is well ahead of JAWS specially in the area of accessibility!
Friends, I’d like to request you to  please comment about my observation if it is right?
Please let me know the pros and cons of my observation!
With regards from Inamuddin with the Skype ID:
Charlsdarwin1


Arguing with a woman is reading software license agreement.
At the end, you have to ignore everything and clic I agree.
You can contact me via gmail:
inamuddin09@gmail.com
outlook:
inam092@outlook.com
yahoo:
inamuddin2010@yahoo.ca
AOL:
charlsdarwin1969@aol.com
Add my Skype ID:
charlsdarwin1
Meet me on facebook:
www.facebook.com/inamuddin786
Follow me on my twitter ID:
www.twitter.com/charlsdarwin1
Call me on my cell numbers:
+1-631-5335683
+92-300-2227598
+92-334-3348409



--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"


john s
 

Don, I'm still using WE with win 7. The thing which makes me hesitate to another screen reader is I don't what would replace the WE mouse keys. What did you do with NVDA to replace that function?

At 03:38 PM 4/19/2018, Don H, wrote:
I started using NVDA after the demise of Window Eyes. I also got the free Jaws when it was offered. I found NVDA much easier to use over Jaws and use NVDA as my prime screen reader. Just hope that there is no way that VFO can swallow up NVDA as it did Window Eyes.


John


Jason White
 

On Apr 20, 2018, at 04:57, Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, with all of the computers that I use, NVDA is sluggish with Microsoft Word text areas. So, until NVDA, and yes even Narrator, get that fixed, JAWS is the only viable solution for Office users. Sure, NVDA developers say they’ve never experienced this, but on my laptop with 8 gigs ram, quad core threaded CPU, and 64 bit Windows, and a beefy workstation with 16 gigs of ram, an SSD, and so on, NVDA still lags with Word text areas, this means the document pane pretty much, as well as the Outlook message box.
Interestingly, I edited a Microsoft Word file with NVDA earlier this week and tested it with Microsoft Outlook. I didn’t experience the sluggishness that you report. So, it’s true that some people are not encountering this problem.

I’m using NVDA 2018.1.1 and an up to date Office 365 version (Monthly Channel).


brian <sackriderbrian45@...>
 

    My friend tried to read an on line menu he first tried jaws and he could not read it but when he tried nvda he was able to read it.  His primary screen reader is jaws but for certain things like this he will use nvda.  I only have nvda as my only screen reader.  There is most definatly alot of profe that having more than one screen reader can be very benificial to us.  There is not one screen reader that will read everything that would be nice but that just a dream.

Brian Sackrider


On 4/19/2018 7:25 PM, Ashley Wayne wrote:

Hey all,
I am enjoying this thread.  I don't see any need or reason to insist that one screenreader is inherently better overall than another.  They each may work better for different tasks or one just may find one easier to use than another.  In my case, I use nvda most, but have relied on jaws for working with pdf documents, as I find for me it seems to be a bit easier to manipulate.  I will sometimes try narrator as well, it is so nice to have choices.  It's just like with phones or computers, it's preference and/or tailoring to what specific task you need a screenreader for.  I'm personally apprecitive of microsoft, vfo and nv access for all their hard work.


On Apr 19, 2018 5:11 PM, "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:
It's worth pointing out that, although Window-eyes will become increasingly less useful over time, it still would be worth keeping around because you might find something it does better than JAWS or NVDA.  Just because it is no longer updated doesn't mean it may not be useful for certain tasks.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

Indeed.

It's exactly the same as choosing a web browser - there is no single "best"
choice.  Some people prefer Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, or whatever;
sometimes one works with a particular website better than others; some have
features which you don't often need but are really useful on occasion.

So, having several web browsers installed so you can choose which one to use
at any given time is good; the same thing goes for screen readers - there is
no single "best" choice, it depends on what you're trying to do, and sometimes
what you feel most comfortable / familiar with.


Antony.

On Thursday 19 April 2018 at 23:34:30, Dan Kerstetter wrote:

> After following this thread, I’ve decided to put in my 1.5 cents.  (smile)
>
> As a blind person who has used a computer for a long time with many
> different screen readers, I feel that one can never have too many.  Some
> things JAWS is better at than NVDA and vice versa.  I’ve actually had to
> switch between screen readers in the middle of performing a task on the
> web simply because one will work and the other won’t for one specific part
> of a task.  Thanks for reading.
>
> Dan K

--
The Magic Words are Squeamish Ossifrage.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.






Gene
 

Rather than explain it, which involves not just explaining how to route and click the simulated mouse, you have to know the3 NVDA review keys, 2which use the numpad.  You first use the review keys, then when the review position is where you want the mouse you route the mouse to that position and click it.  the various review modes and the review keys are explained in a tutorial which is very well thought of.  You can download either the entire tutorial or only the sections you want here:
 
You will see links to all the sections and a link at the end to a zip version of the entire tutorial.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: john s
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 5:30 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

Don, I'm still using WE with win 7.  The thing which makes me
hesitate to another screen reader is I don't what would replace the
WE mouse keys.  What did you do with NVDA to replace that function?

At 03:38 PM 4/19/2018, Don H, wrote:
>I started using NVDA after the demise of Window Eyes.  I also got
>the free Jaws when it was offered.  I found NVDA much easier to use
>over Jaws and use NVDA as my prime screen reader.  Just hope that
>there is no way that VFO can swallow up NVDA as it did Window Eyes.
>
>
>

                 John




Ervin, Glenn
 

Jaws has been crashing a lot in Internet Explorer since Jaws 18.
I think a lot of people don't notice it though, because Jaws seems to have also received the ability to restart after a crash.
So I lose speech when loading a page for a while, and before I get to a desktop to restart it it reloads with its usual Jaws startup message.
In the old days, Jaws would crash, but would not come back, we had to relaunch it.
Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jason White via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

I use JAWS extensively for its excellent braille and Microsoft Office support,
but NVDA is improving in these areas. The BrailleExtender add-on is very good,
for example. On my system, at least, with applications such as Microsoft
Outlook, NVDA doesn't seem to crash as JAWS does. Perhaps I've simply been
lucky.

I've noticed some bugs in NVDA 2018.1.1, but, on the other hand, I'm aware of
some JAWS bugs as well. Perhaps I should go to GitHub and report the NVDA
bugs, or raise them on the list.

All of the screen readers that I have used have their advantages and
drawbacks. They all have bugs, too. So do operating systems and applications,
where many of the accessibility issues lie. Choose whatever combinations best
meet your needs. As others have suggested, having multiple screen readers
available is a good situation to be in.


Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Hi, Brian,

 

Yes, it's great that we have choices as far as screen readers. One time I was trying to fill out a survey for Microsoft and NVDA didn't see all the edit fields. I used system access to go to fill the survey out and it worked beautifully.

 

Rosemarie

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of brian
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 6:05 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

 

    My friend tried to read an on line menu he first tried jaws and he could not read it but when he tried nvda he was able to read it.  His primary screen reader is jaws but for certain things like this he will use nvda.  I only have nvda as my only screen reader.  There is most definatly alot of profe that having more than one screen reader can be very benificial to us.  There is not one screen reader that will read everything that would be nice but that just a dream.

Brian Sackrider

 

On 4/19/2018 7:25 PM, Ashley Wayne wrote:

Hey all,
I am enjoying this thread.  I don't see any need or reason to insist that one screenreader is inherently better overall than another.  They each may work better for different tasks or one just may find one easier to use than another.  In my case, I use nvda most, but have relied on jaws for working with pdf documents, as I find for me it seems to be a bit easier to manipulate.  I will sometimes try narrator as well, it is so nice to have choices.  It's just like with phones or computers, it's preference and/or tailoring to what specific task you need a screenreader for.  I'm personally apprecitive of microsoft, vfo and nv access for all their hard work.

 

On Apr 19, 2018 5:11 PM, "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

It's worth pointing out that, although Window-eyes will become increasingly less useful over time, it still would be worth keeping around because you might find something it does better than JAWS or NVDA.  Just because it is no longer updated doesn't mean it may not be useful for certain tasks.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:42 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

 

Indeed.

It's exactly the same as choosing a web browser - there is no single "best"
choice.  Some people prefer Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, or whatever;
sometimes one works with a particular website better than others; some have
features which you don't often need but are really useful on occasion.

So, having several web browsers installed so you can choose which one to use
at any given time is good; the same thing goes for screen readers - there is
no single "best" choice, it depends on what you're trying to do, and sometimes
what you feel most comfortable / familiar with.


Antony.

On Thursday 19 April 2018 at 23:34:30, Dan Kerstetter wrote:

> After following this thread, I’ve decided to put in my 1.5 cents.  (smile)
>
> As a blind person who has used a computer for a long time with many
> different screen readers, I feel that one can never have too many.  Some
> things JAWS is better at than NVDA and vice versa.  I’ve actually had to
> switch between screen readers in the middle of performing a task on the
> web simply because one will work and the other won’t for one specific part
> of a task.  Thanks for reading.
>
> Dan K

--
The Magic Words are Squeamish Ossifrage.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.