nvda lagging

Marisane Moruthanyana

Good day mvda gurus

I hope you are well.

I am trying to cope.

I have a weird issue with nvda.

I am using nvda 2021.1.

It keeps on stopping.

This stopping or lagging has been with me for sometime now.

What could be the cause?

It happens when I am reading through a document or typing.

It also freezes easily these days.

What is going on?

Please assist.

Wally SA

Robert Portal

Dear Wally,

I have the same issue with NVDA 2021.2 - you said you had 2021.1 installed. When reading a long document in Word 2007 with Say All the reading is fine for 5 to 7 minutes and then it stops, almost always on a full-stop. At this point NVDA is unresponsive - it takes a minute or so to get it working again.
This is a problem because I regularly record the computer's reading of texts which may take up to two hours to read. Previously I could leave it until the reading was finished, now I have to follow it to re-start it when it stops, wasting hours of time.

I've tried different eloquence and Vocaliser voices, closing all windows except for that of the document to be read, turning off the option for Word to save the document every x number of minutes. I've also tried uninstalling and re-installing NVDA, all to no avail.
I had assumed it was probably something specific to my system and so I was interested to find someone else with a similar problem.

I too, would be interested in any suggestions people might have.

Best wishes

Robert Portal

This stopping or lagging has been with me for sometime now.

What could be the cause?

It happens when I am reading through a document or typing.

It also freezes easily these days.

What is going on?

Please assist.

Wally SA

Marisane Moruthanyana

Hi Robert

You are quite right, it is confusing.

The worse of it, with me, it even lags in Windows explorer.

It needs to be attended to as urgently as possible.

Wally

On 10/12/21, Robert Portal <portalrm56@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Has anyone reported this on github? I would check there and comment with machine specs, logs etc.

This stopping or lagging has been with me for sometime now.

What could be the cause?

It happens when I am reading through a document or typing.

It also freezes easily these days.

What is going on?

Please assist.

Wally SA

cisco

Hello there,

Try enabling draft view in word. If you're just reading a document, that might help.
Best regards.
Francisco.

This stopping or lagging has been with me for sometime now.

What could be the cause?

It happens when I am reading through a document or typing.

It also freezes easily these days.

What is going on?

Please assist.

Wally SA

Gene

Why not use Wordpad?  It should be able to read the word document you are having read and you probably won’t have the stopping problem.  If you do, converting the document to a text file and having it read in Notepad should solve the problem.  It sounds as though there may be some sort of buffer overflow problem, based on the behavior being described but that’s just a guess and may not be correct.

Gene

This stopping or lagging has been with me for sometime now.

What could be the cause?

It happens when I am reading through a document or typing.

It also freezes easily these days.

What is going on?

Please assist.

Wally SA

Gene

If you hold control and move up and down the list in Windows Explorer, now called File Explorer, you won’t have the lag problem.  Once you get to the file or folder you want, stop, then up and down arrow back to it so it and only it will be selected.

Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 11:06 AM

On 10/12/21, Robert Portal <portalrm56@...> wrote:
> Dear Wally,
>
> I have the same issue with NVDA 2021.2 - you said you had 2021.1 installed.
> When reading a long document in Word 2007  with Say All the reading is fine
> for 5 to 7 minutes and then it stops, almost always on a full-stop. At this
> point NVDA is unresponsive - it takes a minute or so to get it working
> again.
> This is a problem because I regularly record the computer's reading of texts
> which may take up to two hours to read. Previously I could leave it until
> the reading was finished, now I have to follow it to re-start it when it
> stops, wasting hours of time.
>
> I've tried different eloquence and Vocaliser voices, closing all windows
> except for that of the document to be read, turning off the option for Word
> to save the document every x number of minutes. I've also tried uninstalling
> and re-installing NVDA, all to no avail.
> I had assumed it was probably something specific to my system and so I was
> interested to find someone else with a similar problem.
>
> I too, would be interested in any suggestions people might have.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Robert Portal

cisco

Hello there,

Yes, what you suggest is a good idea, though if there are headings, links, and such, would WordPad be able to detect them?

I’m not saying that the document in question contains such things, I’m just asking, because my books do, and I’m curious to see if WordPad could read them fine, though I have no problem whatsoever with word 365.

Best regards.

Francisco.

Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 11:06 AM

Hi Robert

You are quite right, it is confusing.

The worse of it, with me, it even lags in Windows explorer.

It needs to be attended to as urgently as possible.

Wally

On 10/12/21, Robert Portal <portalrm56@...> wrote:
> Dear Wally,
>
> I have the same issue with NVDA 2021.2 - you said you had 2021.1 installed.
> When reading a long document in Word 2007  with Say All the reading is fine
> for 5 to 7 minutes and then it stops, almost always on a full-stop. At this
> point NVDA is unresponsive - it takes a minute or so to get it working
> again.
> This is a problem because I regularly record the computer's reading of texts
> which may take up to two hours to read. Previously I could leave it until
> the reading was finished, now I have to follow it to re-start it when it
> stops, wasting hours of time.
>
> I've tried different eloquence and Vocaliser voices, closing all windows
> except for that of the document to be read, turning off the option for Word
> to save the document every x number of minutes. I've also tried uninstalling
> and re-installing NVDA, all to no avail.
> I had assumed it was probably something specific to my system and so I was
> interested to find someone else with a similar problem.
>
> I too, would be interested in any suggestions people might have.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Robert Portal

Gene

I don’t think they will be announced when you come to them.  There is also no browse mode in Wordpad.  My suggestion was specifically for reading uninterruptedly.  It sounds as though the person wants to be able to record the screen-reader reading text, something I do off and on.

Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 11:06 AM

Hi Robert

You are quite right, it is confusing.

The worse of it, with me, it even lags in Windows explorer.

It needs to be attended to as urgently as possible.

Wally

On 10/12/21, Robert Portal <portalrm56@...> wrote:
> Dear Wally,
>
> I have the same issue with NVDA 2021.2 - you said you had 2021.1 installed.
> When reading a long document in Word 2007  with Say All the reading is fine
> for 5 to 7 minutes and then it stops, almost always on a full-stop. At this
> point NVDA is unresponsive - it takes a minute or so to get it working
> again.
> This is a problem because I regularly record the computer's reading of texts
> which may take up to two hours to read. Previously I could leave it until
> the reading was finished, now I have to follow it to re-start it when it
> stops, wasting hours of time.
>
> I've tried different eloquence and Vocaliser voices, closing all windows
> except for that of the document to be read, turning off the option for Word
> to save the document every x number of minutes. I've also tried uninstalling
> and re-installing NVDA, all to no avail.
> I had assumed it was probably something specific to my system and so I was
> interested to find someone else with a similar problem.
>
> I too, would be interested in any suggestions people might have.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Robert Portal

cisco

Hello there,

I understand now, I’m sorry I didn’t before.

What you say about recording is quite interesting, I never find myself doing it, though it might be a good practice.

Best regards.

Francisco.

Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 11:06 AM

Hi Robert

You are quite right, it is confusing.

The worse of it, with me, it even lags in Windows explorer.

It needs to be attended to as urgently as possible.

Wally

On 10/12/21, Robert Portal <portalrm56@...> wrote:
> Dear Wally,
>
> I have the same issue with NVDA 2021.2 - you said you had 2021.1 installed.
> When reading a long document in Word 2007  with Say All the reading is fine
> for 5 to 7 minutes and then it stops, almost always on a full-stop. At this
> point NVDA is unresponsive - it takes a minute or so to get it working
> again.
> This is a problem because I regularly record the computer's reading of texts
> which may take up to two hours to read. Previously I could leave it until
> the reading was finished, now I have to follow it to re-start it when it
> stops, wasting hours of time.
>
> I've tried different eloquence and Vocaliser voices, closing all windows
> except for that of the document to be read, turning off the option for Word
> to save the document every x number of minutes. I've also tried uninstalling
> and re-installing NVDA, all to no avail.
> I had assumed it was probably something specific to my system and so I was
> interested to find someone else with a similar problem.
>
> I too, would be interested in any suggestions people might have.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Robert Portal

Gene

I haven’t used them except the one in Openbook, but there are utilities that will convert documents to audio files.  The Openbook one pauses too long after periods and since my screenreader isn’t being used, the speech dictionary isn’t available to correct mispronunciations.  So even though I could use the utility in Openbook, I don’t.

Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 11:06 AM

Hi Robert

You are quite right, it is confusing.

The worse of it, with me, it even lags in Windows explorer.

It needs to be attended to as urgently as possible.

Wally

On 10/12/21, Robert Portal <portalrm56@...> wrote:
> Dear Wally,
>
> I have the same issue with NVDA 2021.2 - you said you had 2021.1 installed.
> When reading a long document in Word 2007  with Say All the reading is fine
> for 5 to 7 minutes and then it stops, almost always on a full-stop. At this
> point NVDA is unresponsive - it takes a minute or so to get it working
> again.
> This is a problem because I regularly record the computer's reading of texts
> which may take up to two hours to read. Previously I could leave it until
> the reading was finished, now I have to follow it to re-start it when it
> stops, wasting hours of time.
>
> I've tried different eloquence and Vocaliser voices, closing all windows
> except for that of the document to be read, turning off the option for Word
> to save the document every x number of minutes. I've also tried uninstalling
> and re-installing NVDA, all to no avail.
> I had assumed it was probably something specific to my system and so I was
> interested to find someone else with a similar problem.
>
> I too, would be interested in any suggestions people might have.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Robert Portal

Shawn

I’ve always had this problem with Windows Mail in Windows 10 with any long emails at all, and sometimes with short ones from certain senders, likely with lots of graphics like the ones I get from our farmer’s market, and adds I get from Walmart, it will read a couple lines, stop for a literally several seconds to a minute or even 2, read a couple more lines, rince, repeat until I got tired of it and copied and pasted into notepad to read it there.

With emails from a question and answer site called Quora, I used to have to wait several minutes and play tricks trying to click in the message with the mouse cursor to get NVDA to unfreeze and let me navigate in the email, it would freeze on those as soon as I opened them, I would restart NVDA several times, hurry up and alt+tab to the window, and click something before it froze, keep doing that until I could navigate normally, but lately Quora must have changed something in the document because the emails come up right away with no problem now and I can open the page I want with my Quora digest.

Shawn Klein

Sent from Mail for Windows

Why not use Wordpad?  It should be able to read the word document you are having read and you probably won’t have the stopping problem.  If you do, converting the document to a text file and having it read in Notepad should solve the problem.  It sounds as though there may be some sort of buffer overflow problem, based on the behavior being described but that’s just a guess and may not be correct.

Gene

This stopping or lagging has been with me for sometime now.

What could be the cause?

It happens when I am reading through a document or typing.

It also freezes easily these days.

What is going on?

Please assist.

Wally SA

Arlene

Confirmed! Its not only NVDA. I find this with Jaws as well. Sometimes if I use one or the other. They stop talking in the middle of a message.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Why not use Wordpad?  It should be able to read the word document you are having read and you probably won’t have the stopping problem.  If you do, converting the document to a text file and having it read in Notepad should solve the problem.  It sounds as though there may be some sort of buffer overflow problem, based on the behavior being described but that’s just a guess and may not be correct.

Gene

This stopping or lagging has been with me for sometime now.

What could be the cause?

It happens when I am reading through a document or typing.

It also freezes easily these days.

What is going on?

Please assist.

Wally SA

Arlene

I forgot to tell you I too use windows ten mail and I find NVDA or Jaws lags while reading mail messages.

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Wally,

I was interested you seemed to be having similar problems to mine but they are clearly not identical. I still think, for me at least, they are most likely to be connected with my system.

I forgot to say in the first message that I use Word 2007 with Windows 10, all updates included. I rarely have problems with NVDA disappearing while I type and Windows Explorer behaves as it should for me.

Best wishes

Robert Portal

This stopping or lagging has been with me for sometime now.

What could be the cause?

It happens when I am reading through a document or typing.

It also freezes easily these days.

What is going on?

Please assist.

Wally SA

Arlene

Oh, it could be your system. How old is it? Mine is over 2 years old. I’m noticing it slowing down.  I think word 2007 is old.  I never thought about the computer itself.

Sent from Mail for Windows

The worse of it, with me, it even lags in Windows explorer.

It needs to be attended to as urgently as possible.

Wally

On 10/12/21, Robert Portal <portalrm56@...> wrote:

> Dear Wally,

> I have the same issue with NVDA 2021.2 - you said you had 2021.1 installed.

> When reading a long document in Word 2007  with Say All the reading is

> fine for 5 to 7 minutes and then it stops, almost always on a

> full-stop. At this point NVDA is unresponsive - it takes a minute or

> so to get it working again.

> This is a problem because I regularly record the computer's reading of

> texts which may take up to two hours to read. Previously I could leave

> it until the reading was finished, now I have to follow it to re-start

> it when it stops, wasting hours of time.

> I've tried different eloquence and Vocaliser voices, closing all

> windows except for that of the document to be read, turning off the

> option for Word to save the document every x number of minutes. I've

> also tried uninstalling and re-installing NVDA, all to no avail.

> I had assumed it was probably something specific to my system and so I

> was interested to find someone else with a similar problem.

> I too, would be interested in any suggestions people might have.

> Best wishes

> Robert Portal

Quentin Christensen

For anyone having these issues, Brian has some good sheets on bug reporting, but in general, what really helps track things like this down is:

- Details about your system, especially the version / build of Windows, Office (or other involved program) and NVDA.  Please don't say "the latest version".  There are many reasons why the "latest version" you have (particularly of Windows or Office) might be different to the "latest version" I can get.

- Steps to reproduce.  If you can tell me, 1. Press this, 2. Do that, 3. Press this other keystroke, and I can replicate it, we should be able to get everything else we need (but details of program versions are still useful as that way we can ascertain if something ONLY affects one version of a program or multiple).

- If you can, your NVDA log, and ideally if you can set it to debug level, restart NVDA with add-ons disabled, reproduce the issue, THEN get the log and send it to us.

Happy to elaborate on any of those steps as needed.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Ashish Mukerji

Hello Quentin ....

I am very much overhwelmed by these group messages .... It is not for me, as of yet .... How do i get out of receiving them as of now ..... Thx....

I must mention that you are very very good in supporting your clients ... I can see how much interest (and pain) you take in responding to your clients needs .... My hats off to you !!!

Ashish

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 11:40 PM, Ashish Mukerji wrote:
I am very much overhwelmed by these group messages .... It is not for me, as of yet .... How do i get out of receiving them as of now ..... Thx....
-
Ashish,

Before you unsubscribe, I would strongly suggest you read through a tutorial I wrote because, on high volume lists, the number of messages can become overwhelming.  Groups.io provides the options for a daily digest, or a daily summary, or setting up Topic Preview to control your message flow for any group.

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx file format)

If you wish to unsubscribe from this group, use the unsubscription address from the list below:

NVDA Main Group Archive:  https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topics

The email addresses used to interact with the NVDA Main Group:

To join:  nvda+subscribe@nvda.groups.io

To post:  nvda@nvda.groups.io

To receive a message containing the group description, and a list of these commands:  nvda+help@nvda.groups.io

To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Web):  nvda+nomail@nvda.groups.io

This can also be used to put a vacation stop on group messages, then use one of the subsequently noted addresses to resume delivery in the format of your choice.

To receive each group message individually: nvda+single@nvda.groups.io

This is the default delivery unless you send a message to one of the addresses that follows.

To receive group messages in an HTML formatted digests:  nvda+fulldigest@nvda.groups.io

To receive group messages in a plain text digest:  nvda+digest@nvda.groups.io

To receive a daily summary instead of individual messages:  nvda+summary@nvda.groups.io

To receive only special messages:  nvda+special@nvda.groups.io

To contact the group owner(s):  nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io

         ~ John F. Kennedy

tim

You do know that is a problem? You shouldn't have to use the control key to move in that view.

Also so far its not a problem for all.

Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2021 11:06 AM