From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jennifer Aucoin
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 8:24 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] nvda lagging when inputting

HI everyone:

My husband is using the most recent version. He has some lag between the time a letter is typed in the start menu and when he hears it through NVDA. Any suggestions to fix it?

Gene

Your message appears to say that this only happens in the start menu.  I don't know what would cause such a problem.  If your husband wants to hear speech, he may not like this work around.  If, however, he doesn't mind not hearing speech in this one place, this might be a good work around.  If hearing delayed speech is distracting or makes typing difficult, you could turn off speech before typing.  You can use NVDA+s to turn off speech.  Use the command twice to turn speech back on.

Others may have suggestions of something to change in the start menu to try to solve the problem. I have a suggestion about what might cause the problem but it is very general and others may have specific ones.  Perhaps the slowdown is caused by suggestions shown as you type.  Perhaps turning off this feature would speed up typing.  More specific suggestions as to what the feature might be would have to come from others.  I don't have a Windows 10 or 11 machine yet.

Gene

On 1/12/2022 10:24 PM, Jennifer Aucoin wrote:
HI everyone:

My husband is using the most recent version. He has some lag between the time a letter is typed in the start menu and when he hears it through NVDA. Any suggestions to fix it?

Gene

I just tested for the problem on my Windows 7 machine.  There is a long lag before speech is heard when typing and typing slowly results in suggestions starting to be spoken because the slow typing gives time for this speech before typing another letter interrupts it.

I don't think you can do anything about this.  I don't think my suggestion of how to stop the problem is a good one because even if you could turn off suggestions, you then probably wouldn't see the results in the start menu.  Others may wish to comment on that.  My suggestions for workarounds  are to not listen for carachters to be echoed in that one place or to turn speech off.

Gene