NVDA lags while working with MS Word using unicode input for local languages

T. G. J. Rukmal

Hello everyone,

I'm Janitha from Sri Lanka and here we use unicode input to type in the local language called Sinhalese.

ESpeak synth has been doing a fine job of reading text typed in this language using unicode until  NVDA version 2020.3. Thereafter, even in V 2020.4, we, the Sri Lankan users of NVDA  came across a lag while typing in Sinhalese unicode in MS word and even in google docs while using both Chrome and Firefox browsers.

Upon investigating about the versions of windows used by the users who experienced the above, it was revealed that they were running different updates of Windows 10 and regardless of the windows 10 update they were running, the problem appears to have persisted.  When we inquired about the hardware specifications of the machines on which they have installed NVDA, their specs were well above the minimum requirements specified in NVAccess website.

1. Is this a known issue or is there a quick fix for this?
2. What additional information do we need to provide the developers to investigate further?

Thanks and best regards

--
T. J. Rukmal
First NVDA certified Expert from Sri Lanka

Luke Davis

T. G. J. Rukmal wrote:

ESpeak synth has been doing a fine job of reading text typed in this language using unicode until  NVDA version 2020.3. Thereafter, even in V 2020.4, we,
the Sri Lankan users of NVDA  came across a lag while typing in Sinhalese unicode in MS word and even in google docs while using both Chrome and Firefox
Go to https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues, and create a new bug issue.

The template you fill in there will ask for all the basic information that is needed.
You have described the issue pretty well here, and if you provide this information it should be a good start.

Report things like a common current Windows version, whether you've run without add-ons and get the same results, and whether you're able to downgrade to (or use a portable copy of) NVDA 2020.2 or earlier and get the corrected results again.

You can also search there for other issues similar to this, although personally I don't remember hearing of one.

Luke

By the way, for anyone who wants a tutorial on creating an issue in GitHub for NVDA, along with an MS-Word fillable form that you can then unprotect and copy and paste into the GitHub report so that you know you can't accidentally mess up the formatting they use to parse the report (and, boy, did I learn about that the hard way when I decided to do what I thought was some "tidying up" once when I created a trouble report).

Creating an Issue in GitHub for NVDA

MS-Word Fillable Form for an NVDA Bug Report Including Pre and Post Filling-Out Instructions

MS-Word Fillable Form for an NVDA Bug Report Including Only Post Filling-Out Instructions

How to Unprotect a Completed Fillable Word Form so the Entire Document Can Be Copied

      ~ Brian Vogel