NVDA: Linespacing and Paragraph Indent Word 2019

David Russell

Hello Group,

I am pasting the online instructions offered by Microsoft Support for
screen reader users as it pertains to doing line spacing and first
line indentation for MS Word, 2019 version.
I will define my confusion as you read:
Set line spacing
1.
In your document, select the paragraph whose line spacing you want to
format. If you want to set the line spacing for the entire document,
press Ctrl+A to select all its content.
2.
To set line spacing options for a paragraph, press Alt+H, K. You hear:
"Line and paragraph spacing." Use the Up and Down arrow keys to select
from a list of frequently used line spacing sizes, and press Enter to
apply it.
Question: Is this advising, Line spacing can occur when one selects an
entire document, control-a, then press alt h, and k, and up or down
arrow for desired spacing.
Will the old method of control plus number value also work anymore?

2. Set first line indent
With a first line indent, the first line of a paragraph is indented
more than the other lines in the paragraph.
To add a first line indent to the paragraph, move the focus to the
beginning of the first line of the paragraph, and press the Tab key.
Question: Is the focus the same as the cursor key?
How do I indent the first line of a paragraph for an entire document
and subsequent documents?
older versions of Word, wasn't use of the tab key for indenting
discouraged. What makes it acceptable practice now?

Thanks for your help with this issue!
--
David C. Russell, Author
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

Quentin Christensen

You did hide your questions in there :)

Ok, the two I found:
1) Can you press control+number to change line spacing?  Yes, and NVDA will report Single Line Spacing (CONTROL+1), Double line spacing (control+2) or 1.5 line spacing (control+5).

2) Indenting the first line of a paragraph.  I actually wrote a bit about this the other week when covering how NVDA 2021.2 now better reports line indent in Word:  https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-29th-september-2021/#indent  Basically, the way I do it: CONTROL+M to indent the whole paragraph and then control+shift+t to decrease the hanging indent (the indent of every line except the first).

Like any formatting option, once set, it will carry over to any subsequent typing from that point on.  To have it happen automatically, you would need to edit your normal.dotm template and add it to that.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 2:45 AM David Russell <david.sonofhashem@...> wrote:
[...]

Training and Support Manager

David Russell

Hello,
First, a big thanks to Quentin for answering my questions about
methodology to perform line spacing and paragraph indent. I noted your
instructive.
I have one further question on the portion where you discuss how to
hear measurement.
Will this also inform of extraneous text inserting itself into a given document?
I write fiction, and have used the capital-eight (star) to indicate
scene breaks.
I was told this added either underscores or a series of ... to text,
and my sighted partner was able to delete the unwanted.
I had not heard NVDA report these findings.
Thanks again. I receive the Digest so will look for an answer in the next issue.

--
David C. Russell, Author
david.sonofhashem@gmail.com

Quentin Christensen

Do you mean when you type *** on a blank line it converts to a row of dots across the page, and when you type --- or ___ it does a line?  That is done by Word's autocorrect function - the same function will change "teh" to "the", "(e)" to a euro symbol and so on.

NVDA doesn't report those automatic changes currently.  There is an issue reporting that here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/11032  Do please add any comments to that issue with additional details.

You can change the autocorrect settings from Word's options:
Press alt+f, then t to open options
Press control+tab twice to the "Proofing" category.
Press alt+a to open the autocorrect options.

You can turn individual options on or off here, add new corrections, or disable all using the checkboxes.

Kind regards

Quentin.