Topics

NVDA links and buttons on websites

Hettie

Hi all

Is there any solution for links and buttons that doesn't react to the enter key on certain websites? Pressing the NVDA key and slash on the keypad doesn't work either. A friend of mine started at a new job and this presents a major problem for him.

Hettie

https://www.avg.com

Sam Taylor

The website may be refreshing, but may not be alerting him to the fact that changes have occurred. Otherwise he could try focussing the review cursor on the button or link (Section 5.5 of the NVDA user guide), and either left clicking, or activating the current navigator object.

Activate current navigator object
Desktop: NVDA+numpadEnter
Laptop: NVDA+enter

Left mouse button click
Desktop: numpadDivide
Laptop: NVDA+[

Cheers

Sam

On 16/07/2020 8:44 pm, Hettie wrote:
Hi all

Is there any solution for links and buttons that doesn't react to the enter key on certain websites? Pressing the NVDA key and slash on the keypad doesn't work either. A friend of mine started at a new job and this presents a major problem for him.

Hettie

Gene

Another way that may work is to move the mouse to the control and clicking it. If the person is using the desktop layout, do the following:
Be on the control.
Issue the command numpad enter numpad star. That is, hold numpad enter, then press star.
That moves the mouse to the control.
Click the mouse using just the star key.
So the seaquence is num;pad insert num;pad star, then star.

If that doesn't work, be on the control, turn off Browse Mode, then press the space bar on the button. If it’s a link, try enter.

Also, some links may not work unless you move beyond the first letter of it. While in browse mode, right arrow once past the first letter, then try enter.

Is there any solution for links and buttons that doesn't react to the
enter key on certain websites? Pressing the NVDA key and slash on the
keypad doesn't work either. A friend of mine started at a new job and
this presents a major problem for him.

Hettie

https://www.avg.com

Jacob Kruger

Hettie, at times you might need to use the NvDA key + numpad /, to route mouse cursor to current position, followed by just the numpad / to then click the mouse button, or else, try the NVDA key + numpad enter key combo to perform default action?

And, sometimes you might need to actually use the tab key to land on a control and just hit the primary enter key to activate it - really depends on what the specific site is doing that is interfering with interaction.

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2020-07-16 12:44 PM, Hettie wrote:
Hi all

Is there any solution for links and buttons that doesn't react to the enter key on certain websites? Pressing the NVDA key and slash on the keypad doesn't work either. A friend of mine started at a new job and this presents a major problem for him.

Hettie

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 06:44 AM, Hettie wrote:
on certain websites
Can any of these "certain websites" be shared?  It's far better to have an example to work with whenever possible.

Laughing Thunder

Short of having NVDA route the mouse pointer to the inaccessible item, and clicking the mouse, no. It has to do with the way the website is coded. These things happen when websites are not coded properly to support screen readers. I see this all the time.

--
Laughingthunder

Gianluigi Coppelletti

Hi,

what about using focus mode?

I encounter this issue in the backend of a cms that I use every day. Usually, to solve this problem, I press nvda+spacebar then I tab to the required button and I press enter.

For me it works.

Hth.

Bye.

Gigi

Il 16/07/2020 12.44, Hettie ha scritto:
Hi all

Is there any solution for links and buttons that doesn't react to the enter key on certain websites? Pressing the NVDA key and slash on the keypad doesn't work either. A friend of mine started at a new job and this presents a major problem for him.

Hettie

Laughing Thunder

Perhaps, but it sounds like the original poster was talking about elements that don’t even work or identify themselves as buttons at all. For those you have to use the mouse to interact with them.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 01:21 PM, Laughing Thunder wrote:
but it sounds like the original poster was talking about elements that don’t even work or identify themselves as buttons at all.
-
What follows is not a criticism of you, but a general observation:  This why I ask, again and again, for URLs to be provided if at all possible.

Educated conjecture is indeed valuable, but it is still no substitute for having an actual example to attempt to work with as far as determining what is actually happening, and that's the thing no one participating on this topic knows, including me.

It is exceptionally difficult to give focused, accurate advice based on an abstract example that has uncertain behavior occurring.

The person didn't make any such qualifications. The question was how to deal with links and buttons that don't work with either enter or NVDA backslash. See the message last in this thread.

[...]

Luke Davis

I have seen the advice on github, to try control+enter, and shift+enter in some web browser contexts where enter and space fail.

This advice was already given, but I think it should be reiterated: it is sometimes necessary to move the cursor into a control before enter or space will work. In other words, if the button was called "play", it may only become pressable when you use the right arrow to get to the "l". That is dependent on various settings I believe, although I haven't dug deeply into it.

Also, object nav can sometimes be useful for these situations.

Lastly, changing browsers may help. For example, buttons on icloud.com are totally unusable in Firefox with NVDA, while they work fine in any Chromium based browser such as Brave.

Luke

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020, Hettie wrote:

Is there any solution for links and buttons that doesn't react to the enter key on certain websites? Pressing the NVDA key and slash on the keypad doesn't work either. A friend of mine started at a new job and this presents a major problem for him.

Gene

I made an error in the message quoted below. Where I said to use numpad star, I meant to say numpad asterisk.

To clarify, the command to move the cursor to the navigator position, in this case to the control, is num;pad enter, numpad asterisk.
The left mouse click is just num;pad asterisk.
So the sequence would be numpad enter, numpad asterisk, followed by just num;pad asterisk.

Is there any solution for links and buttons that doesn't react to the
enter key on certain websites? Pressing the NVDA key and slash on the
keypad doesn't work either. A friend of mine started at a new job and
this presents a major problem for him.

Hettie

https://www.avg.com

Gene

My last and proper correction. I should have said numpad slash wherever I said numpad star or asterisk. So the sequence is:
Numpad enter numpad slash, followed by just numpad slash.

I'm sorry about the errors.

Is there any solution for links and buttons that doesn't react to the
enter key on certain websites? Pressing the NVDA key and slash on the
keypad doesn't work either. A friend of mine started at a new job and
this presents a major problem for him.

Hettie

https://www.avg.com

Hettie

Hi all

Sorry I only react now but that is because of a family crisis.

Thanks for all the very helpful suggestions, I didn't know them myself before you told me they exist.

Unfortunately it seems as though this website doesn't accept any of them. I can't share the url as it is the company's cloud program. They were told by the programmers that they need to rewrite the complete website to make the necessary accessibility changes. I'm not a programmer but is it not possible to add some code to the existing software to accomplish the use of keyboard input?

You're a great source of information, thanks again.

Hettie

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 11:16 AM, Hettie wrote:
They were told by the programmers that they need to rewrite the complete website to make the necessary accessibility changes.
Which is really, really shocking if it's true.  Basic web coding conventions have been in place for a very, very long time now.  Screen readers generally have little to no problem working with web-based interfaces that are not using novel controls (and novel controls are constantly being invented, but most sites have a smattering of these, if any).

Links, buttons, dropdowns, edit boxes, combo boxes, and the list goes on are not new and should be able to be accessed "straight out of the box" on any web interface.  If they can't be, then someone has done something royally screwy to make that so.