NVDA Malfunctions In Read-Only Text Boxes In Google Chrome When In Focus Mode

Luke Robinett

In Google Chrome running on Windows 10 Home Edition, NVDA only announces the first character of whatever text is present when in focus mode and using the arrow keys to navigate by character inside read-only text boxes. For example, if the text box contains the word “Hello,” pressing the left or right arrow keys just results in NVDA saying “H.”

Similar behavior occurs in Microsoft Edge except NVDA says the word “blank” instead of the first character in the text box. This suggests it may be a broader issue with Chromium browsers. In Firefox, NVDA functions normally in read-only text boxes.

I’ve also opened a GitHub ticket for this issue which can be found here:

I searched existing closed and open issues prior to opening a new one and didn’t find a previous report of this issue. Please refer to my bug report for more details and background.

Thanks,

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

I can reproduce this in regular text edit boxes. I was trying to search  for something n trail head and I typed in “quote” and heard “q” and that’s about it. I could not arrow, I could not read by line. Nothing. I tried the menu trick but that didn’t work.

[...]

Gene

Can you provide a link to a page with a read only edit field?  I don't recall sites that have them.  I probably just read the content and don't pay attention much if the field says read only.  I would ordinarily read text where I am not writing in browse mode.

I just tried the Google search field and I had no problem but that isn't a read only edit field.

Gene

On 5/27/2022 6:44 PM, Luke Robinett wrote:

[...]

Hi Gene. If you check out the issue page I linked to, I provide steps for how to reproduce the issue. Let me know if that works for you. Thanks!

On May 27, 2022, at 5:01 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure what you are working with.  It appears to be some sort of source code.  When I go to the page, I hear something like welcome to and then the name of an editor.

However, it appears to me that NVDA is working as expected.  A read only edit field is read only, you can't write in it.  Focus mode doesn't let you move in a web page unless you are in a field that allows movement, such as an edit field that allows you to write when in focus mode.  When in structures like combo boxes, you can move as well or in a list of radio buttons.  But the structure on the actual web page must allow you to move and I would think that by definition, a read only edit field wouldn't.  There is no cursor provided in the underlying page for a read only field, I would think.

Gene

On 5/28/2022 9:27 AM, Luke Robinett wrote:
[...]

However in focus mode if you curser through the field you should be able to read in it.  I’ll have to check the next time I publish a youtube video, as that has a read only link. I was going to show a page to a we transfer file  I had already uploaded to see if we could get it to brake but sadly I cannot.

[...]

Steve Nutt

Hello Jean,

JAWS behaves differently in that regard. It will let you move to a read only edit box by pressing E then enter to enter focus mode. You can then use cursor keys to read the read only edit box, you can even perform a control A and Control C, and it will copy only the contents of the read only edit box.

I think NVDA should allow this.

All the best

Steve

[...]

This appears to have nothing to do with NVDA.  I tried reading the read only edit field using both JAWS and NVDA using Chrome.  In both cases, when in focus mode in NVDA and in forms mode in JAWS, you couldn't move properly through the field using the left and right arrow keys on the site given as an example in the issue on Github, which is linked to in the original message, at the bottom of the quoted messages.
Here is the link:
https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_input_readonly

In Firefox, you can move properly.  Also, in Chrome, regardless of screen-reader, you can select the text and copy it to the clipboard using control a to select.  I didn't try selecting it in Firefox moving with the arrow keys.

Gene

On 6/26/2022 12:23 PM, Steve Nutt wrote:
> > Hello Jean, > > > > JAWS behaves differently in that regard. It will let you move to a > read only edit box by pressing E then enter to enter focus mode. You > can then use cursor keys to read the read only edit box, you can even > perform a control A and Control C, and it will copy only the contents > of the read only edit box. > > > > I think NVDA should allow this. > > > > All the best > > > Steve > > > > *From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Gene > *Sent:* 28 May 2022 15:41 *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io *Subject:* Re: > [nvda] NVDA Malfunctions In Read-Only Text Boxes In Google Chrome > When In Focus Mode > > > > I'm not sure what you are working with. It appears to be some sort > of source code. When I go to the page, I hear something like welcome > to and then the name of an editor. > > However, it appears to me that NVDA is working as expected. A read > only edit field is read only, you can't write in it. Focus mode > doesn't let you move in a web page unless you are in a field that > allows movement, such as an edit field that allows you to write when > in focus mode. When in structures like combo boxes, you can move as > well or in a list of radio buttons. But the structure on the actual > web page must allow you to move and I would think that by definition, > a read only edit field wouldn't. There is no cursor provided in the > underlying page for a read only field, I would think. > > Gene > > On 5/28/2022 9:27 AM, Luke Robinett wrote: > > Hi Gene. If you check out the issue page I linked to, I provide steps > for how to reproduce the issue. Let me know if that works for you. > Thanks! > > > > On May 27, 2022, at 5:01 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> > <mailto:gsasner@...> wrote: > >  Can you provide a link to a page with a read only edit field? I > don't recall sites that have them. I probably just read the content > and don't pay attention much if the field says read only. I would > ordinarily read text where I am not writing in browse mode. > > I just tried the Google search field and I had no problem but that > isn't a read only edit field. > > Gene > > On 5/27/2022 6:44 PM, Luke Robinett wrote: > > In Google Chrome running on Windows 10 Home Edition, NVDA only > announces the first character of whatever text is present when in > focus mode and using the arrow keys to navigate by character inside > read-only text boxes. For example, if the text box contains the word > “Hello,” pressing the left or right arrow keys just results in NVDA > saying “H.” > > > > Similar behavior occurs in Microsoft Edge except NVDA says the word > “blank” instead of the first character in the text box. This suggests > it may be a broader issue with Chromium browsers. In Firefox, NVDA > functions normally in read-only text boxes. > > > > I’ve also opened a GitHub ticket for this issue which can be found > here: > > https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/13745 > <https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/13745>

Brian's Mail list account

This sounds like what occurs in thenavigation modes in nvda, but at a more keyboard intensive level. This might mean an add on might be able to get a short cut to do such a thing.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On May 27, 2022, at 5:01 PM, Gene <mailto:gsasner@...> <gsasner@...> wrote:

[...]

The issue opened by Mr. Robinette was closed with this note, "This seems like intended behaviour for Chromium. Consider opening an issue against Chromium."

That's the long and the short of it.  Any screen reader can only work with what is exposed to it to work with.  This specific situation appears to stem from what Chromium-based browsers allow the screen reader access to.

It does make me wonder, though, why NVAccess would not actually follow-up with opening such an issue.  I know from my years "in the coding biz" that issues opened by entities tend to get a lot more, and more immediate, attention than those opened by end users.  A pecking order exists.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill