From: Louise Pfau
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 4:20 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA marking messages as read in third-party E-mail applications

Hi. I use a combination of JAWS and NVDA. For example, I use JAWS to accomplish most tasks, but I have to use NVDA to access the internet because JAWS seems to cause the newer browsers like Chrome and Edge to crash. I've noticed that when I'm going through my E-mails with JAWS 16 in Windows Live Mail and then want to reply to a post to a group through the web interface with NVDA 2020.3, NVDA marks all the messages in the list as read when I navigate back to it, even if I've turned JAWS back on. I know Windows Live Mail is no longer supported, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having similar problems with other E-mail clients.

Thanks,

Louise

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I'll try to clarify what I'm asking.  I think there is a conflict between JAWS 16 and the newer browsers that causes the browser to crash.  This happens occasionally as well with NVDA 2020.3, but not as frequently, so I prefer to use NVDA for browsing the internet.  When I navigate back to the list of messages in Windows Live Mail after composing a reply through the web interface, that's when the messages are all marked as read.  I turned the preview pain off.  As I indicated in my original post, I know that Windows Live Mail is no longer supported, but I want to know if other people are having the same issue with different third-party applications.  If it's happening with other applications, then I'll fill out a bug report.

Thanks,

Louise

Louise,

           I ask the following for further clarification:  When you say, "composing a reply through the web interface" do you mean the Groups.io web interface or using the webmail interface for your e-mail account?

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

Evidently you are saying that if you reply to a message using the GMail web interface, all mail is marked as read in Windows Live Mail. I don't know why that would be but why do you reply using the web interface? If you explain that, we may be able to tell you how to do what you want in the e-mail program so you won't have the problem.

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 07:41 PM, Gene wrote:
Evidently you are saying that if you reply to a message using the GMail web interface
-
That's definitely one option, and the one I suspect is actually being used.  And I, like you, am not understanding why, if one is using webmail at all, one wouldn't just use webmail?   I can see absolutely nothing to be gained by reading in an old (or even current) e-mail client and replying in webmail.  In fact, it makes what should be a simple process, no matter which "side" (webmail vs. client) one would choose to use as it would typically be used - for all e-mail activities.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Oops, left off "unnecessarily complicated," at the end.  Using a half-and-half webmail and half email client is, put mildly, unnecessarily complicated.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Louise Pfau

Hi.  In this instance, I'm referring to the groups.io web interface, but I'm also subscribed to some groups on Google Groups, so I've used that interface as well.  I haven't been able to post messages to any of my groups via E-mail since my service provider migrated their service over to Google.  That might have something to do with the fact that Windows Live Mail is no longer supported though, nothing to do with NVDA or JAWS.  The groups.io and Google web interfaces work well.

Thanks,

Louise

Gene

I can post using GMail and Windows Live Mail. Not being supported has nothing to do with whether a program will still work.

Are you saying that you can receive mail but when you reply, it doesn't reach the group or isn't sent?

I see no connection between sending a message using the web interface and whether messages are shown as read in the e-mail program. They are completely different. I'm not saying what you are reporting isn't happening, but I see no explanation for how it could.