Topics

locked NVDA marking messages as read in third-party E-mail applications

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I use a combination of JAWS and NVDA.  For example, I use JAWS to accomplish most tasks, but I have to use NVDA to access the internet because JAWS seems to cause the newer browsers like Chrome and Edge to crash.  I've noticed that when I'm going through my E-mails with JAWS 16 in Windows Live Mail and then want to reply to a post to a group through the web interface with NVDA 2020.3, NVDA marks all the messages in the list as read when I navigate back to it, even if I've turned JAWS back on.  I know Windows Live Mail is no longer supported, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having similar problems with other E-mail clients.

Thanks,

Louise

Gene

I don't know why you are having the reply using the web interface problem and I don't see what NVDA would have to do with it. First, when you look at mail in Windows Live mail, is the view pane on or off? If the view pane is on, every message you move to even if you don't read it will be marked as read because you are opening the message. If you are saying that using the Internet interface of your e-mail program or of the list causes all mail to be seen by your e-mail program as read, I see no reason for that. As far as I know, there is no connection between your e-mail program and viewing mail in these ways as far as the program knowing what messages are read.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 4:20 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA marking messages as read in third-party E-mail applications

Hi. I use a combination of JAWS and NVDA. For example, I use JAWS to accomplish most tasks, but I have to use NVDA to access the internet because JAWS seems to cause the newer browsers like Chrome and Edge to crash. I've noticed that when I'm going through my E-mails with JAWS 16 in Windows Live Mail and then want to reply to a post to a group through the web interface with NVDA 2020.3, NVDA marks all the messages in the list as read when I navigate back to it, even if I've turned JAWS back on. I know Windows Live Mail is no longer supported, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having similar problems with other E-mail clients.

Thanks,

Louise

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I'll try to clarify what I'm asking.  I think there is a conflict between JAWS 16 and the newer browsers that causes the browser to crash.  This happens occasionally as well with NVDA 2020.3, but not as frequently, so I prefer to use NVDA for browsing the internet.  When I navigate back to the list of messages in Windows Live Mail after composing a reply through the web interface, that's when the messages are all marked as read.  I turned the preview pain off.  As I indicated in my original post, I know that Windows Live Mail is no longer supported, but I want to know if other people are having the same issue with different third-party applications.  If it's happening with other applications, then I'll fill out a bug report.

Thanks,

Louise

Louise,

I ask the following for further clarification:  When you say, "composing a reply through the web interface" do you mean the Groups.io web interface or using the webmail interface for your e-mail account?

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

It’s hard waking up and realizing it’s not always black and white.

~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

Evidently you are saying that if you reply to a message using the GMail web interface, all mail is marked as read in Windows Live Mail. I don't know why that would be but why do you reply using the web interface? If you explain that, we may be able to tell you how to do what you want in the e-mail program so you won't have the problem.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA marking messages as read in third-party E-mail applications

Hi. I'll try to clarify what I'm asking. I think there is a conflict between JAWS 16 and the newer browsers that causes the browser to crash. This happens occasionally as well with NVDA 2020.3, but not as frequently, so I prefer to use NVDA for browsing the internet. When I navigate back to the list of messages in Windows Live Mail after composing a reply through the web interface, that's when the messages are all marked as read. I turned the preview pain off. As I indicated in my original post, I know that Windows Live Mail is no longer supported, but I want to know if other people are having the same issue with different third-party applications. If it's happening with other applications, then I'll fill out a bug report.

Thanks,

Louise

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 07:41 PM, Gene wrote:
Evidently you are saying that if you reply to a message using the GMail web interface
-
That's definitely one option, and the one I suspect is actually being used.  And I, like you, am not understanding why, if one is using webmail at all, one wouldn't just use webmail?   I can see absolutely nothing to be gained by reading in an old (or even current) e-mail client and replying in webmail.  In fact, it makes what should be a simple process, no matter which "side" (webmail vs. client) one would choose to use as it would typically be used - for all e-mail activities.

--

~ Kelley Boorn

Oops, left off "unnecessarily complicated," at the end.  Using a half-and-half webmail and half email client is, put mildly, unnecessarily complicated.
--

~ Kelley Boorn

Louise Pfau

Hi.  In this instance, I'm referring to the groups.io web interface, but I'm also subscribed to some groups on Google Groups, so I've used that interface as well.  I haven't been able to post messages to any of my groups via E-mail since my service provider migrated their service over to Google.  That might have something to do with the fact that Windows Live Mail is no longer supported though, nothing to do with NVDA or JAWS.  The groups.io and Google web interfaces work well.

Thanks,

Louise

Gene

I can post using GMail and Windows Live Mail. Not being supported has nothing to do with whether a program will still work.

Are you saying that you can receive mail but when you reply, it doesn't reach the group or isn't sent?

I see no connection between sending a message using the web interface and whether messages are shown as read in the e-mail program. They are completely different. I'm not saying what you are reporting isn't happening, but I see no explanation for how it could.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA marking messages as read in third-party E-mail applications

Hi. In this instance, I'm referring to the groups.io web interface, but I'm also subscribed to some groups on Google Groups, so I've used that interface as well. I haven't been able to post messages to any of my groups via E-mail since my service provider migrated their service over to Google. That might have something to do with the fact that Windows Live Mail is no longer supported though, nothing to do with NVDA or JAWS. The groups.io and Google web interfaces work well.

Thanks,

Louise

Louise,

This is almost certainly an issue with using Windows Live Mail with Gmail, not NVDA or JAWS related.  I do not know whether turning on the "Allow Less Secure Apps" setting on Google will allow Windows Live Mail access again or not.  If you're using 2-factor-authorization it won't, that would need to be off, too.

But, in any case, I recommended Windows Live Mail 2012 as a simple e-mail client well beyond its end of support date, but don't anymore.  And that's because it has been exhibiting anything from "increasing inconsistency" through outright failure to work with a number of different e-mail service providers in recent months.  If you intend to keep using an e-mail client I strongly advise you to look into one that is currently supported.

I will allow this topic to remain open for the moment, because Gene may have some parting advice, and you may wish to reply to it.  But after that, if that transpires, I will lock the topic, as it is virtually certain that this has absolutely nothing to do with NVDA or any other screen reader, for that matter.
--

~ Kelley Boorn

Gene

Also, you said something about your provider switching to GMail. I'm not sure what you are describing. If your provider is somehow partnering with GMail, you can solve the problem by establishing your own completely independent GMail account and switching your list mail to that account.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 7:21 PM

I can post using GMail and Windows Live Mail. Not being supported has
nothing to do with whether a program will still work.

Are you saying that you can receive mail but when you reply, it doesn't
reach the group or isn't sent?

I see no connection between sending a message using the web interface and
whether messages are shown as read in the e-mail program. They are
completely different. I'm not saying what you are reporting isn't
happening, but I see no explanation for how it could.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 7:11 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA marking messages as read in third-party E-mail
applications

Hi. In this instance, I'm referring to the groups.io web interface, but I'm
also subscribed to some groups on Google Groups, so I've used that interface
as well. I haven't been able to post messages to any of my groups via
E-mail since my service provider migrated their service over to Google.
That might have something to do with the fact that Windows Live Mail is no
longer supported though, nothing to do with NVDA or JAWS. The groups.io and
Google web interfaces work well.

Thanks,

Louise

Gene

I already commented and asked a question but it appears that the e=-mail provider is somehow providing its own partnership with GMail. AT&T, my provider, used to have some sort of partnership with Yahoo Mail. I don't want my e-mail tied to a provider in case I change at some point. I use GMail for almost all my mail now, my own direct subscription.

If you want to continue the discussion, I am on the chat list and of course, Brian is on it as well.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2020 7:23 PM

Louise,

This is almost certainly an issue with using Windows Live Mail with Gmail, not NVDA or JAWS related. I do not know whether turning on the "Allow Less Secure Apps" setting on Google will allow Windows Live Mail access again or not. If you're using 2-factor-authorization it won't, that would need to be off, too.

But, in any case, I recommended Windows Live Mail 2012 as a simple e-mail client well beyond its end of support date, but don't anymore. And that's because it has been exhibiting anything from "increasing inconsistency" through outright failure to work with a number of different e-mail service providers in recent months. If you intend to keep using an e-mail client I strongly advise you to look into one that is currently supported.

I will allow this topic to remain open for the moment, because Gene may have some parting advice, and you may wish to reply to it. But after that, if that transpires, I will lock the topic, as it is virtually certain that this has absolutely nothing to do with NVDA or any other screen reader, for that matter.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

~ Kelley Boorn

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 08:29 PM, Gene wrote:
If you want to continue the discussion, I am on the chat list and of course, Brian is on it as well.
-
And that is the appropriate course if more discussion is desired.  This topic is now locked.  Chat Subgroup Addresses are below:

To join:  chat+subscribe@nvda.groups.io

To unsubscribe:  chat+unsubscribe@nvda.groups.io

To receive a message containing the group description, and a list of these commands:  chat+help@nvda.groups.io

To stop receiving messages via email (you may still read messages on the Web):  chat+nomail@nvda.groups.io

This can also be used to put a vacation stop on group messages, then use one of the addresses below to resume delivery in the format of your choice.

To receive each group messages individually:  chat+single@nvda.groups.io

This is the default delivery unless you send a message to one of the addresses that follows.

To receive group messages in an HTML formatted digest:  chat+fulldigest@nvda.groups.io

To receive group messages in a plain text digest:  chat+digest@nvda.groups.io

To receive a daily summary instead of individual messages:  chat+summary@nvda.groups.io

To receive only special messages:  chat+special@nvda.groups.io

To contact the group owner(s):  chat+owner@nvda.groups.io

--

~ Kelley Boorn