Topics

NVDA Menu

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Hi friends,

I Have installed NVDA on a machine which has a bluetooth keyboard and I can’t find the insert key, not sure if it has one, it is the Apple style layout.

I Need to bring up the NVDA menu to go in to the options and change the keyboard layout to be laptop but I can’t perform an instert+n, does anyone know of another way to bring up the NVDA menu please?

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hello,

Go to the NVDA icon in the systray by pressing Windows-B (on your Mac keyboard Option-B), hit the letter N until you come to NVDA and press Enter

Cheers,

  Ralf

I Have installed NVDA on a machine which has a bluetooth keyboard and I can’t find the insert key, not sure if it has one, it is the Apple style layout.

I Need to bring up the NVDA menu to go in to the options and change the keyboard layout to be laptop but I can’t perform an instert+n, does anyone know of another way to bring up the NVDA menu please?

Jacob Kruger

If you have a windows key, then windows key + B to focus on system tray/notifications bar, and, then look for the NVDA icon there - if it's not showing, you might need to first shift + tab to something liketask view button, and invoke context menu - shift + f10 if no context menu key on keyboard, and, find the item to let you choose which icons appear in system tray. Either way, hitting enter on the system tray icon for NVDA will invoke it's popup menu.

Else, ctrl + escape should invoke start menu, and then hitting escape should close it, but, hopefully leave focus on start button, so you can always tab over to task view button or system tray from there.

HTH

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2020-08-21 01:54 PM, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io wrote:

Hi friends,

I Have installed NVDA on a machine which has a bluetooth keyboard and I can’t find the insert key, not sure if it has one, it is the Apple style layout.

I Need to bring up the NVDA menu to go in to the options and change the keyboard layout to be laptop but I can’t perform an instert+n, does anyone know of another way to bring up the NVDA menu please?

Michael Hunsaker

In preferences you can set CAPS LOCK as the NVDA/insert key

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 05:54 Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io <steven.hicks=nhs.net@groups.io> wrote:
I Have installed NVDA on a machine which has a bluetooth keyboard and I can’t find the insert key, not sure if it has one, it is the Apple style layout.

I Need to bring up the NVDA menu to go in to the options and change the keyboard layout to be laptop but I can’t perform an instert+n, does anyone know of another way to bring up the NVDA menu please?

Chris

The notification tray icon and right click on it

I Have installed NVDA on a machine which has a bluetooth keyboard and I can’t find the insert key, not sure if it has one, it is the Apple style layout.

I Need to bring up the NVDA menu to go in to the options and change the keyboard layout to be laptop but I can’t perform an instert+n, does anyone know of another way to bring up the NVDA menu please?

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Yes, trouble is, I can’t get to the menu with insert+n and then preferences.

In preferences you can set CAPS LOCK as the NVDA/insert key

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 05:54 Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io <steven.hicks=nhs.net@groups.io> wrote:

I Have installed NVDA on a machine which has a bluetooth keyboard and I can’t find the insert key, not sure if it has one, it is the Apple style layout.

I Need to bring up the NVDA menu to go in to the options and change the keyboard layout to be laptop but I can’t perform an instert+n, does anyone know of another way to bring up the NVDA menu please?

Rosemarie Chavarria

Did you try doing a restart? I have to do that from time to time when that happens.

On 8/21/2020 7:14 AM, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io wrote:

Yes, trouble is, I can’t get to the menu with insert+n and then preferences.

In preferences you can set CAPS LOCK as the NVDA/insert key

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 05:54 Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io <steven.hicks=nhs.net@groups.io> wrote:

I Have installed NVDA on a machine which has a bluetooth keyboard and I can’t find the insert key, not sure if it has one, it is the Apple style layout.

I Need to bring up the NVDA menu to go in to the options and change the keyboard layout to be laptop but I can’t perform an instert+n, does anyone know of another way to bring up the NVDA menu please?

ADRIAN POCOCK

try caps lock n or tab to not area arrow to nvda right click

Did you try doing a restart? I have to do that from time to time when that happens.

On 8/21/2020 7:14 AM, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io wrote:

Yes, trouble is, I can’t get to the menu with insert+n and then preferences.

In preferences you can set CAPS LOCK as the NVDA/insert key

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 05:54 Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io <steven.hicks=nhs.net@groups.io> wrote:

I Have installed NVDA on a machine which has a bluetooth keyboard and I can’t find the insert key, not sure if it has one, it is the Apple style layout.

I Need to bring up the NVDA menu to go in to the options and change the keyboard layout to be laptop but I can’t perform an instert+n, does anyone know of another way to bring up the NVDA menu please?

Luke Davis

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io wrote:

I Have installed NVDA on a machine which has a bluetooth keyboard and I can’t find the insert key, not sure if it has one, it is the Apple style layout.
While there are ways to simulate the real insert key on a Mac style keyboard (such as FN+i, FN+enter), there is no actual insert key unfortunately.

When you install NVDA, there is a welcome dialog that comes up. In it, one of the options is a checkbox for using the capslock key as a modifier. If you reinstall NVDA, make sure you check that box.

I Need to bring up the NVDA menu to go in to the options and change the keyboard layout to be laptop but I can’t perform an instert+n, does anyone know of
another way to bring up the NVDA menu please?
As several people suggested: if you go to the NVDA icon in the notification area, and press enter on it, you will get the NVDA menu. After that, pressing p, s, k, and tabbing a few times, should get you to the option you want.

Have you tried that?

Luke

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Steven do the following
press your windows key
up arrow
page down until you get to the N section
arrow to NVDA and press enter
arrow down to "explore NVDA configuration directory" and enter
open NVDA.ini
search for capsLock and change the value to true
save the document
restart NVDA
this should give you the use of the capsLock. key.as a modifier.
******
If we can't look at ourselves, and ask, why?  then where does the learning start?

Family times where there is fun for every ear!

Or ask your A device to play Family times on tuneIn
You can also find us on your mobile device install OoTunes and search for Family times