NVDA menu

Lexi

Hello everyone, when I go into the NVDA menu, and click on manage add-ons, and I go to about add-on, it reads all the information all at once. Does anyone know of a way to slow this down? Reading it by words, lines, and characters doesn't  work. I only need a little bit of information, and that's at the end of all of the information that it gives me.--
Please be blessed and be safe. Thank you,
Lexi

I honestly don't have the answer to your direct question, but since you say the information you need is near the very end of what NVDA is announcing, could you not snag it from what NVDA just said?

I cannot recall whether this is an NVDA feature, or an add-on, but I am positive that it has been mentioned on many occasions that there is a way to snag the last sentence (or maybe somewhat more) that NVDA just finished saying.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

The easiest way if it is on the about button is when you open it in my case I use object navigation.

It will read out the information and you can not interact with it so I do the following

I am using a desk top after it has read out the information I use object navigation in this case it is the nvda key+ number 8 on the numeric keypad. It takes me up a level to where the information is.

Then I can use the number 7 on the numeric keypad to take me up to the top line which is previous line to I get to top.

I can use the number 9 on the numeric key pad to read down a line

4 will do previous word and 6 next word.

1 is previous character and 3 is next character.

8 is current line, 5 is the word you are on and 2 is the character you are on.

Depending how you read it I might read the whole lot then do it word by word say for example.

You might have to look up the command to go up a level in object navigation if using a lap top.

hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 20/10/2021 9:42 am, Lexi wrote:
Hello everyone, when I go into the NVDA menu, and click on manage add-ons, and I go to about add-on, it reads all the information all at once. Does anyone know of a way to slow this down? Reading it by words, lines, and characters doesn't  work. I only need a little bit of information, and that's at the end of all of the information that it gives me.--
Please be blessed and be safe. Thank you,
Lexi

Lexi

I am fortunately can't. Since the information is at the end. That's a lot of information to listen to and plus I can't move through it.

--
Please be blessed and be safe. Thank you,
Lexi

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

To chage nvda into object navigation mode use the following nvda key + 1 on the numeric keypad you should hear it spoken then depending which keyboard setup you are using is which command you use to go up  alevel.

The first command is for the desk top and the second is for a lap top to go up a level then you will need to review the text as given before on the numeric keypad.

7 previous line, 8 current line, 9 next line.

4 previous word, 5 current word and 6 next word.

1 pevous character, 2 current character and 3 next character this is done on the numeric keypad.

Gene nz

On 20/10/2021 10:02 am, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the explanation. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I am using a laptop but I have a keyboard connected to it. Do I have to listen to all of the information play through before I can do it?

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 4:02 PM hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

No you do not have to listen to all of it first as long as when you open the about section it starts to read press the ctrl key.

Check which keyboard layout you are using press the nvda key + ctrl key + the letter K.

It will open the keyboard settings it should land on your keyboard layout.

 Mine speaks desktop so then you just close it

If you already know the keyboard layout miss the above step.

Make sure you are in object navigation mode first use the nvda key + number 1 on the numeric keypad to do this I am not sure what it is for the laptop version I would have to look it up I think it is the same.

So if you are hopefully still on the about button in my case I would use the nvda key + 8 on the numeric keypad to go up a level or the laptop command if in that layout.

.

Then I would use the number 7 on the numeric keypad to get me to the top of the document or in this case the about section.

The rest of the numbers used as mentioned before is how you read it the text review commands is for read only sections like this.

On 20/10/2021 10:12 am, Lexi wrote:
[...]

The commands I gave before were for a desk top user  and if you sued object navigation before to get to where the information is the below from the user manual will give you the commands for desk top user, lap top user or touch.

If you are using a lap top layout use the commands for it.

5.5. Reviewing Text
NVDA allows you to read the contents of the screen, current document or current object by character, word or line. This is mostly useful in places (including Windows command consoles) where there is no system caret. For example, you might use it to review the text of a long information message in a dialog.
When moving the review cursor, the System caret does not follow along, so you can review text without losing your editing position. However, by default, when the System caret moves, the review cursor follows along. This can be toggled on and off.
Note: Braille following the review cursor can be configured via Braille Tether.
The following commands are available for reviewing text:
Name
Desktop key
Laptop key
Touch
Description
Move to top line in review
shift+numpad7
NVDA+control+home
none
Moves the review cursor to the top line of the text
Move to previous line in review
numpad7
NVDA+upArrow
flick up (text mode)
Moves the review cursor to the previous line of text
Report current line in review
numpad8
NVDA+shift+.
none
Announces the current line of text where the review cursor is positioned. Pressing twice spells the line. Pressing three times spells the line using character descriptions.
Move to next line in review
numpad9
NVDA+downArrow
flick down (text mode)
Move the review cursor to the next line of text
Move to bottom line in review
shift+numpad9
NVDA+control+end
none
Moves the review cursor to the bottom line of text
Move to previous word in review
numpad4
NVDA+control+leftArrow
2-finger flick left (text mode)
Moves the review cursor to the previous word in the text
Report current word in review
numpad5
NVDA+control+.
none
Announces the current word in the text where the review cursor is positioned. Pressing twice spells the word. Pressing three times spells the word using character descriptions.
Move to next word in review
numpad6
NVDA+control+rightArrow
2-finger flick right (text mode)
Move the review cursor to the next word in the text
Move to start of line in review
shift+numpad1
NVDA+home
none
Moves the review cursor to the start of the current line in the text
Move to previous character in review
numpad1
NVDA+leftArrow
flick left (text mode)
Moves the review cursor to the previous character on the current line in the text
Report current character in review
numpad2
NVDA+.
none
Announces the current character on the line of text where the review cursor is positioned. Pressing twice reports a description or example of that character. Pressing three times reports the numeric value of the character in decimal and hexadecimal.
Move to next character in review
numpad3
NVDA+rightArrow
flick right (text mode)
Move the review cursor to the next character on the current line of text
Move to end of line in review
shift+numpad3
NVDA+end
none
Moves the review cursor to the end of the current line of text
Say all with review
numpadPlus
NVDA+shift+a
3-finger flick down (text mode)
Reads from the current position of the review cursor, moving it as it goes
Select then Copy from review cursor
NVDA+f9
NVDA+f9
none
Starts the select then copy process from the current position of the review cursor. The actual action is not performed until you tell NVDA where the end of the text range is
Select then Copy to review cursor
NVDA+f10
NVDA+f10
none
On the first press, text is selected from the position previously set as start marker up to and including the review cursor's current position. If the system caret can reach the text, it will be moved to the selected text. After pressing this key stroke a second time, the text will be copied to the Windows clipboard
Move to marked start for copy in review
NVDA+shift+f9
NVDA+shift+f9
none
Moves the review cursor to the position previously set start marker for copy
Report text formatting
NVDA+shift+f
NVDA+shift+f
none
Reports the formatting of the text where the review cursor is currently situated. Pressing twice shows the information in browse mode
Report current symbol replacement
None
None
none
Speaks the symbol where the review cursor is positioned. Pressed twice, shows the symbol and the text used to speak it in browse mode.
Note: numpad keys require the Num Lock to be turned off to work properly.
A good way to remember the basic text review commands when using the Desktop layout is to think of them as being in a grid of three by three, with top to bottom being line, word and character and left to right being previous, current and next. The layout is illustrated as follows:
Previous line
Current line
Next line
Previous word
Current word
Next word
Previous character
Current character
Next character

Gene nz

[...]

Hi, even after switching my layout to desktop, those numpad commands  didn't work for me. They don't say anything. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 4:28 PM hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

also, I tried to use the laptop commands as well. I got the same result no speech at all.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 4:37 PM Lexi Cooks <alexiscooks836@...> wrote:
[...]

Is the num lock key off if it is on you will only hear numbers spoken.

Make sure it is off.

If when you open the about button then press the ctrl key to make him or her quite you must then use the object navigation key given before for your layout

Make sure you change into it first with the nvda key + 1 on the numeric keypad you should hear it spoken.

Mine was nvda key + 8 on the numeric keypad.

This takes me up a leve to where the text is.

Then after that you used the review cursor commands as the ones for a desk top are different to a lap top user.

Make sure you go to the top of the document then the commands to read it for your layout.

Gene nz

On 20/10/2021 10:37 am, Lexi wrote:
[...]

That's what I don't understand. Nothing is being spoken. I tried both ways laptop and desktop.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 4:47 PM hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, that was the problem. The numlock was on. Thank you so much!

[...]

Gene

This is typical dialog behavior.  You can have it read by line, character or word if you use screen review mode.  This is inportant to nbe able to do because if you don’t know this, you won’t be able to read information in dialogs or perhaps in some other places other than as you are, all at once.

I am giving the desktop layout commands.
Do the following:
When you open the dialog, use the command numpad insert numpad 7 to move to screen review.  Use the following commands,
Move to the top of the dialog
shift numpad 7.
Move to the end of the dialog,
shift numpad 1.

Read current line, numpad 8.
move to and read previous line numpad 7.
Next line numpad 9.
The same pattern is true for the following movement methods:
Current  word numpad 5
Current carachter numpad 2.

Gene

Hello everyone, when I go into the NVDA menu, and click on manage add-ons, and I go to about add-on, it reads all the information all at once. Does anyone know of a way to slow this down? Reading it by words, lines, and characters doesn't  work. I only need a little bit of information, and that's at the end of all of the information that it gives me.--
Please be blessed and be safe. Thank you,
Lexi

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Gene

Just tried it in screen review I always leave it in object navigation mode but even in screen review they need to know the commands.

That is why I gave her the command to go up a level, I did not even try to see if it worked in screen review mode.

the text review commands help in quite a few areas if the other mode does not work to get information.

Gene nz

On 20/10/2021 12:10 pm, Gene wrote:
[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi Lexie

There is an add-on called Virtual Review, written by Rui Batista,  which you can use to grab the information from the About dialog and put it in a window that you can navigate with the arrow keys.  Once installed, you open the about details you want, then press NVDA+Control+w and a virtual window containing the contents of the currently focused window will be available to review.  Press escape to exit the Virtual Review window when you’re finished.  It’s not just for the About dialog, it’s useful for many situations when you want to access screen text that is difficult to navigate by usual means.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

Hello everyone, when I go into the NVDA menu, and click on manage add-ons, and I go to about add-on, it reads all the information all at once. Does anyone know of a way to slow this down? Reading it by words, lines, and characters doesn't  work. I only need a little bit of information, and that's at the end of all of the information that it gives me.--

Please be blessed and be safe. Thank you,
Lexi

Dejan Ristic

Hi from me,

Try using the screen review mode, for it works for me in the about area of an add-on. I can't manage to read the information in the object mode. When you switch to the screen review mode, hold down the NVDA modifier key and arrow up and down and/or left and/or right.

Cheers,

Dejan

On 19/10/2021 23:37, Lexi wrote:
[...]

Steve Nutt

The answer is object navigation.

If you use the number pad to read by object, you can get the info in smaller chunks. So NVDA and the number keys are your friend. Use numbers 1 and 9 on the number pad on their own to switch between previous and next screen review mode. If you want a kind of invisible cursor like JAWS for example, you need screen review. If you want to examine particular items in the operating system hierarchy, then object navigation review mode is what you want.

Please refer to the user guide for a much better explanation.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

I honestly don't have the answer to your direct question, but since you say the information you need is near the very end of what NVDA is announcing, could you not snag it from what NVDA just said?

I cannot recall whether this is an NVDA feature, or an add-on, but I am positive that it has been mentioned on many occasions that there is a way to snag the last sentence (or maybe somewhat more) that NVDA just finished saying.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Steve Nutt

I am guessing you have number lock turned on. Try turning that off.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close