Topics

NVDA navigation problems

Tarah Sawler

Hello,

When I press the down arrow, either from my desktop or from the NVDA menu, I can only cycle between the time and date. Further, pressing the tab key results in the exit NVDA dialogue box. I can only use the down arrow and tab keys by pressing insert F2 (which passes the next key through to the active application instead of treating it like an NVDA command). This is incredibly time-consuming and severely impairs accessibility. Is there anything I can do to prevent this problem permanently?

I am running NVDA on windows 10, and all NVDA’s settings remain default.

Thanks,

Tarah

Sarah k Alawami

Looks like your nvda key is stuck some how. I've ben having this issue a lot, I have no clue how to solve it, I did submit a debug log when this happened though.

Take care

to subscribe to the feed click here

On 6 Feb 2020, at 11:39, Tarah Sawler wrote:

Hello,

When I press the down arrow, either from my desktop or from the NVDA menu, I can only cycle between the time and date. Further, pressing the tab key results in the exit NVDA dialogue box. I can only use the down arrow and tab keys by pressing insert F2 (which passes the next key through to the active application instead of treating it like an NVDA command). This is incredibly time-consuming and severely impairs accessibility. Is there anything I can do to prevent this problem permanently?

I am running NVDA on windows 10, and all NVDA’s settings remain default.

Thanks,

Tarah

Tarah Sawler

It doesn't seem like that is the case, because it seems to me that a stuck NVDA key would cause more problems than just that, but I will try to change the NVDA key to caps lock or something and see if anything changes. Thanks.

Gene

I don't know why you are seeing the behaviors you describe.  If you were not in NVDA and the NVDA key were stuck, pressing n would open the NVDA menu.  Then, if you tried to down arrow through it, the NVDA menu wouldn't do anything.  If the NVDA key were stuck, then typing numbers on the main keyboard would change settings such as NVDA 1, toggle input help on and off, number 2 toggle speak typed characters on and off.

Have you checked to see if the behavior you are describing is connected at all with NVDA?  Have you unloaded it and tested with another screen-reader?

Sent: Friday, February 07, 2020 8:51 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA navigation problems

It doesn't seem like that is the case, because it seems to me that a stuck NVDA key would cause more problems than just that, but I will try to change the NVDA key to caps lock or something and see if anything changes. Thanks.

Gene

I should add that using the key pass through command and then being able to execute keystrokes properly is a strong indication that NVDA is the problem so you may not need to test.  You may want to just to be sure things are working as expected.

While this shouldn't help the problem, make sure you are in object navigation mode, then see if there is any change or improvement.

Sent: Friday, February 07, 2020 8:51 AM