nvda not announcing command description

mukesh jain

hello,
I am using NVDA 2021 with window 10 on my laptop. I am facing the
difficulties when I use any command NVDA not announcing any command
description associated with it. say for instance, if i press
insert+tab to check any focussed item, it only announces the name of
the focus item but its not announcing the command description or help
tip associated with it. for example, it should say that to move to
item press the arrow keys to edit the item press f2. the same thing
is happening in Microsoft w
ord, whenever i am bringing my focus on any ribbons, its only
announcing the focused ribbon, but its not announcing the command
description like to move between the ribbons press the left or right
arrow keys to navigate in the ribbon press the tab or shift+tab keys.
NVDA used to announce the same in the earlier version. so is this
feature is missing in the latest version of NVDA or do i have to make
any seetings to make it announce?
thanks,
Mukesh

Gene

That isn’t an NVDA feature.  That is a JAWS feature to help new Windows users learn Windows.

Gene
[...]

tim

For that action you need to turn on tool tips in setting, object presentation. Then it will speak help for those items.

On 8/10/2021 7:05 AM, mukesh jain wrote:
[...]

Jujube

I'm not 100% sure but you can press NVDA + 2 to toggle the announcing
of command keys, for example if you have this setting enabled if you
press tab NVDA will announce tab and then whatever control is focused.
You can enable the reporting of tooltips in the NVDA settings under
review cursor I believe which may solve your other problem but I could
be wrong.

On 8/10/21, mukesh jain <mukeshfromkorba@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

That isn’t what appears to be wanted.  The descriptions you are talking about appear to be things like reply to the sender of a message when you are on the reply control in a ribbon.  These are not the same messages as in a combo box, for example when JAWS tutor help is on, up and down arrow to select item.

JAWS also announces tutor help when you use control tab even when tutor help is off.

As far as I know the settings you are describing are on by default.

For that action you need to turn on tool tips in setting, object
presentation. Then it will speak help for those items.

On 8/10/2021 7:05 AM, mukesh jain wrote:
> hello,
> I am using NVDA 2021 with window 10 on my laptop. I am facing the
> difficulties when I use any command NVDA not announcing any command
> description associated with it. say for instance, if i press
> insert+tab to check any focussed item, it only announces the name of
> the focus item but its not announcing the command description or help
> tip associated with it. for example, it should say that to move to
> item press the arrow keys to edit the item press f2.  the same thing
> is happening in Microsoft w
> ord, whenever i am bringing my focus on any ribbons, its only
> announcing the focused ribbon, but its not announcing the command
> description like to move between the ribbons press the left or right
> arrow keys to navigate in the ribbon press the tab or shift+tab keys.
> NVDA used to announce the same in the earlier version. so is this
> feature is missing in the latest version of NVDA or do i have to make
> any seetings to make it announce?
> thanks,
> Mukesh

anthony borg

Hi

Can you please explain how to turn on tool tips in settings?
Thanks in advance

Anthony

[...]

Open the objject Presentation dialog, control NVDA key o.  the setting is in that dialog and is controled by a check box.
If you open the dialog in this way, you are on tooltips without moving.  It’s the first field in the dialog.  If you let all information read, you will hear the field announced.

It may be inconvenient to use NVDA key control o.  You can open the NVDA menu, down arrow to preferences, press enter, down arrow to object presentation and tab.  You are moving through the same part of the dialog and the first time you tabb you will be on tool tips.

You may want to see how things change if you turn tooltips on, but doing so will change nothing as far as how ribbons are read, nor the information messages you hear as you move about what various controls do.

For that action you need to turn on tool tips in setting, object presentation. Then it will speak help for those items.

On 8/10/2021 7:05 AM, mukesh jain wrote:
> hello,
> I am using NVDA 2021 with window 10 on my laptop. I am facing the
> difficulties when I use any command NVDA not announcing any command
> description associated with it. say for instance, if i press
> insert+tab to check any focussed item, it only announces the name of
> the focus item but its not announcing the command description or help
> tip associated with it. for example, it should say that to move to
> item press the arrow keys to edit the item press f2.  the same thing
> is happening in Microsoft w ord, whenever i am bringing my focus on
> any ribbons, its only announcing the focused ribbon, but its not
> announcing the command description like to move between the ribbons
> press the left or right arrow keys to navigate in the ribbon press the
> tab or shift+tab keys.
> NVDA used to announce the same in the earlier version. so is this
> feature is missing in the latest version of NVDA or do i have to make
> any seetings to make it announce?
> thanks,
> Mukesh

Curtis Delzer

turn on tool tips, under object presentation, and others in that category of settings.

--
Curtis Delzer
HS

curtis@calweb.com

mukesh jain

hello to all,
first of all thanks very much for all of yours valuable inputs on my
query. as suggested, i have checked the settings under the object
presentations and found that option for tool tip is already turn on.
the check box for the same is checked by default. also the other
option in this category is also turned on. still no announcements.
earlier NVDA was speaking the said information.
thanks much once again for your help,
Mukesh