Topics

NVDA not coming on when I start the computer

Betsy Grenevitch

I believe I remember this topic coming up recently but must have missed the response. My laptop is no longer coming up with speech with the latest update of NVDA. I am wondering if Microsoft Teams is the problem but do not know how to get rid of that program or what it is even for. It started coming up when I started using Windows 10. Are there any solutions to getting rid of it and if that is not causing the problem what can I do to fix NVDA not coning up on its own.

Thanks so much. At least there is a workaround by restarting NVDA but I know it should not work this way.

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Vaibhav Bhandari

Could you explain further what did you mean by "Your laptop is no
longer coming up with speech with the latest update of NVDA?" I was
unable to understand the problem.

On 2/7/20, Betsy Grenevitch <blindangel61@...> wrote:
I believe I remember this topic coming up recently but must have missed
the response. My laptop is no longer coming up with speech with the
latest update of NVDA. I am wondering if Microsoft Teams is the problem
but do not know how to get rid of that program or what it is even for.
It started coming up when I started using Windows 10. Are there any
solutions to getting rid of it and if that is not causing the problem
what can I do to fix NVDA not coning up on its own.

Thanks so much. At least there is a workaround by restarting NVDA but I
know it should not work this way.

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

--
Thanks/regards: Vaibhav Bhandari

Cohn, Jonathan

Well, since when you "restart" NVDA it is working normally for you, it sounds like you don't have a major issue with speech being completely disabled. I can assure you that Microsoft Teams will work with NVdA, so you don't need to worry about that. Are you sure that NVDA has actually started? Do you hear the Startup chime from NVDA? If you are hearing that chime but never get voice until starting NVDA from the run menu, then your best bet is to get the log file from NVDA and have somebody review it for errors.
Also, you might want to confirm with folks what NVDA Add ons you are running.

Betsy Grenevitch

Until the latest update, NVDA would start speaking as soon as it is loaded once the laptop is completely on. Now I seem to have to do the command as if I was wanting to restart NVDA.  I do not know how else to explain this.

On 2/7/2020 9:34 AM, Vaibhav Bhandari wrote:
[...]

I do not even hear the start up chime for NVDA. I am just thankful I can get it on another way.

On 2/7/2020 9:55 AM, Cohn, Jonathan wrote:
Well, since when you "restart" NVDA it is working normally for you, it sounds like you don't have a major issue with speech being completely disabled. I can assure you that Microsoft Teams will work with NVdA, so you don't need to worry about that. Are you sure that NVDA has actually started? Do you hear the Startup chime from NVDA? If you are hearing that chime but never get voice until starting NVDA from the run menu, then your best bet is to get the log file from NVDA and have somebody review it for errors.
Also, you might want to confirm with folks what NVDA Add ons you are running.
--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

It is possible there is a setting that I set incorrectly that affects whether NVDA starts automatically on the laptop? Is there such a setting that I need to check. That is the only thing that I can think would have changed. It is not a major issue but I used the sound of NVDA starting to tell me when the laptop was up.

On 2/7/2020 9:55 AM, Cohn, Jonathan wrote:
Well, since when you "restart" NVDA it is working normally for you, it sounds like you don't have a major issue with speech being completely disabled. I can assure you that Microsoft Teams will work with NVdA, so you don't need to worry about that. Are you sure that NVDA has actually started? Do you hear the Startup chime from NVDA? If you are hearing that chime but never get voice until starting NVDA from the run menu, then your best bet is to get the log file from NVDA and have somebody review it for errors.
Also, you might want to confirm with folks what NVDA Add ons you are running.
--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

I figured it out. I guess when the update took place it set it not to turn on NVDA when the computer is starting. It is working now.

On 2/7/2020 9:55 AM, Cohn, Jonathan wrote:
Well, since when you "restart" NVDA it is working normally for you, it sounds like you don't have a major issue with speech being completely disabled. I can assure you that Microsoft Teams will work with NVdA, so you don't need to worry about that. Are you sure that NVDA has actually started? Do you hear the Startup chime from NVDA? If you are hearing that chime but never get voice until starting NVDA from the run menu, then your best bet is to get the log file from NVDA and have somebody review it for errors.
Also, you might want to confirm with folks what NVDA Add ons you are running.
--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Gene

You need to see if the check box is checked for running on bootup.  It sometimes becomes unchecked during upgrades.

The command you are using runs NVDA if it isn't running.  You can't assume it is restarting NVDA.  It likely isn't running in the first place.

Sent: Friday, February 07, 2020 9:02 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not coming on when I start the computer

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Arlene

Yes, often when you beta test publicly and if you update. Sometimes startup becomes unchecked. I’ve seen it with NVDA and other screen reader.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Betsy, here’s a tip I can give you. If NVDA doesn’t start up like it should. You start it up. Then go to where you create your hot key. If it’s unchecked. Then check it again. Then restart the computer and if it starts up like it should. You are in the chips.  Or you can unload NVDA and reload it using the hot key.

--

Betsy Grenevitch

678-862-3876