NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Luke Robinett

Latest versions of windows 10, Chrome and NVDA here. When I am logging into a website and the username or password field has focus, I press alt down arrow to access whatever passwords I have saved for that site. Normally each item in the list would say something like, “password for username1,” “password for email@...,” etc. (Obviously using dummy names for this purpose but you get the idea.) Now NVDA just says “password for.” I’ve observed this behavior in both the current and prior versions of NVDA. If I activate NVDA character recognition I do here the account names so I know they’re physically appearing on the screen.

Sarah k Alawami

Just as a guess, have you tried activating the menu with alt then escaping out of the menu? I've been having issues with more than one text field as of late in chrome anything in general.

----

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Robinett
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 10:11 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Latest versions of windows 10, Chrome and NVDA here. When I am logging into a website and the username or password field has focus, I press alt down arrow to access whatever passwords I have saved for that site. Normally each item in the list would say something like, “password for username1,” “password for email@...,” etc. (Obviously using dummy names for this purpose but you get the idea.) Now NVDA just says “password for.” I’ve observed this behavior in both the current and prior versions of NVDA. If I activate NVDA character recognition I do here the account names so I know they’re physically appearing on the screen.

Gene

Also, this isn't a combo box.  You can just down arrow in it to bring up and move into the list.  You may have to down arrow more than once.

I'm not saying that it is only in combo boxes that you would open them with alt down arrow, but in general that command isn't needed elsewhere. 

Also, have you tried using read current line to see if the address is spoken?  While I doubt it, it is something that should be tried.

Gene

On 4/13/2022 12:32 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Just as a guess, have you tried activating the menu with alt then escaping out of the menu? I've been having issues with more than one text field as of late in chrome anything in general.

----

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

Subject: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Latest versions of windows 10, Chrome and NVDA here. When I am logging into a website and the username or password field has focus, I press alt down arrow to access whatever passwords I have saved for that site. Normally each item in the list would say something like, “password for username1,”  “password for email@...,” etc. (Obviously using dummy names for this purpose but you get the idea.) Now NVDA just says “password for.” I’ve observed this behavior in both the current and prior versions of NVDA. If I activate NVDA character recognition I do here the account names so I know they’re physically appearing on the screen. 

Sarah k Alawami

It’s an edit combo actually, so a combination of the two, at least for me. so I hagve to hit enter to accept the change but I just down arrow to see the what ever info is there.

----

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 10:36 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

Also, this isn't a combo box.  You can just down arrow in it to bring up and move into the list.  You may have to down arrow more than once.

I'm not saying that it is only in combo boxes that you would open them with alt down arrow, but in general that command isn't needed elsewhere. 

Also, have you tried using read current line to see if the address is spoken?  While I doubt it, it is something that should be tried.

Gene

----

Latest versions of windows 10, Chrome and NVDA here. When I am logging into a website and the username or password field has focus, I press alt down arrow to access whatever passwords I have saved for that site. Normally each item in the list would say something like, “password for username1,”  “password for email@...,” etc. (Obviously using dummy names for this purpose but you get the idea.) Now NVDA just says “password for.” I’ve observed this behavior in both the current and prior versions of NVDA. If I activate NVDA character recognition I do here the account names so I know they’re physically appearing on the screen. 

Luke Robinett

All I know is, something that was working seamlessly a couple of NVDA versions ago is now not working as expected. Also, for what it’s worth I can reliably reproduce this issue on my work laptop and home desktop. how is it nobody else is having this issue? I don’t think there’s anything special about my systems or configuration.

On Apr 13, 2022, at 10:36 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

Gene

----

Latest versions of windows 10, Chrome and NVDA here. When I am logging into a website and the username or password field has focus, I press alt down arrow to access whatever passwords I have saved for that site. Normally each item in the list would say something like, “password for username1,”  “password for email@...,” etc. (Obviously using dummy names for this purpose but you get the idea.) Now NVDA just says “password for.” I’ve observed this behavior in both the current and prior versions of NVDA. If I activate NVDA character recognition I do here the account names so I know they’re physically appearing on the screen. 

Gene

I don't know.  As I recall, very few people have responded.  I don't know how many people use this feature.  Since we have no idea what the problem is, you could try a portable earlier version of NVDA to see if you have the problem now in a version where you didn't before.

Gene

On 4/14/2022 2:15 PM, Luke Robinett wrote:
All I know is, something that was working seamlessly a couple of NVDA versions ago is now not working as expected. Also, for what it’s worth I can reliably reproduce this issue on my work laptop and home desktop. how is it nobody else is having this issue? I don’t think there’s anything special about my systems or configuration.

Gene

----

Sarah k Alawami

I did manage to reproduce this issue here. basically if you down arrow into the auto correct for passwords you won’t even see written the password for which the site has to be filled in. I have an audio copy for those that don’t want the video if needed. Both will work fine. Sorry about any background noise. Luckelly my mic’s filter was on so that helped a bit.

----

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading aloud usernames/emails in Chrome saved password dropdowns

I don't know.  As I recall, very few people have responded.  I don't know how many people use this feature.  Since we have no idea what the problem is, you could try a portable earlier version of NVDA to see if you have the problem now in a version where you didn't before.

Gene

Gene

----

Latest versions of windows 10, Chrome and NVDA here. When I am logging into a website and the username or password field has focus, I press alt down arrow to access whatever passwords I have saved for that site. Normally each item in the list would say something like, “password for username1,”  “password for email@...,” etc. (Obviously using dummy names for this purpose but you get the idea.) Now NVDA just says “password for.” I’ve observed this behavior in both the current and prior versions of NVDA. If I activate NVDA character recognition I do here the account names so I know they’re physically appearing on the screen. 

Gene

While I would expect this feature in the e-mail field, I wouldn't expect it in the password field.  That's a really bad security breach and since the password is protected, how would you know what password you were even on in the list.

Also, I'm not sure if the feature is available in Chrome-based browsers, though I may not have been able to test it properly yet.;.  However, when I am in the e-mail field of a site, when I use Firefox, I hear something like has autocomplete after some other speech.
I don't hear that in Chrome-based browsers.

So one question I have is whether the feature is even worth worrying about since I would hope it wouldn't be available at all for passwords.  It isn't in Firefox, though the e-mail autocomplete is. 

Gene

On 4/14/2022 5:11 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I did manage to reproduce this issue here. basically if you down arrow into the auto correct for passwords you won’t even see written the password for which the site has to be filled in. I have an audio copy for those that don’t want the video if needed. Both will work fine. Sorry about any background noise. Luckelly my mic’s filter was on so that helped a bit.

----

Gene

Gene

----

Gene

I just tried the e-mail autocomplete using the current version of Chrome and the current version of NVDA and I do hear the one e-mail address that is in the autocomplete list.  I pressed enter on it and it was placed in the e-mail address line of the form.  For those who don't hear e-mail addresses announced, down arrow once after being in forms mode in the e-mail field, then press enter.  Then read current line.  Is the e-mail address in the field?  We need to determine if NVDA isn't reading the list or if nothing is in the list.

Gene

On 4/14/2022 5:36 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:
While I would expect this feature in the e-mail field, I wouldn't expect it in the password field.  That's a really bad security breach and since the password is protected, how would you know what password you were even on in the list.

Also, I'm not sure if the feature is available in Chrome-based browsers, though I may not have been able to test it properly yet.;.  However, when I am in the e-mail field of a site, when I use Firefox, I hear something like has autocomplete after some other speech.

So one question I have is whether the feature is even worth worrying about since I would hope it wouldn't be available at all for passwords.  It isn't in Firefox, though the e-mail autocomplete is. 

Gene

----

Gene

Gene

----

Sarah k Alawami

No it is in some password fields and I used to hear it in  both “password for pine cast” or what not.  I fill in most of my passwords this way, or I might access the entry in brave if I need to note it down somewhere.  Since brave and chrome are both chrome based browsers I’m not surprised this is broken in both places. I have not tested in edge, I totally forgot, as I was busy grabbing some documents I needed.

----

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 3:36 PM

Gene

----

Gene

Gene

----

Sarah k Alawami

The email does show up  in the field  actually when I tested it off recording this morning. So nvda is not even seeing the name of the site. And didn’t someone have trouble with another screen reader in this regard?

----

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 3:56 PM

I just tried the e-mail autocomplete using the current version of Chrome and the current version of NVDA and I do hear the one e-mail address that is in the autocomplete list.  I pressed enter on it and it was placed in the e-mail address line of the form.  For those who don't hear e-mail addresses announced, down arrow once after being in forms mode in the e-mail field, then press enter.  Then read current line.  Is the e-mail address in the field?  We need to determine if NVDA isn't reading the list or if nothing is in the list.

Gene
On 4/14/2022 5:36 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

Gene

----

Gene

Gene

----

Gene

but how do you know the password you are entering?  and I see no autocomplete in the password field in Firefox.  And In Firefox, I see the e-mail autocomplete field.  I see no way to have a password autocomplete field without it being an unacceptable security breach if someone can tell by looking what the password is for.

Gene

On 4/14/2022 6:02 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

No it is in some password fields and I used to hear it in  both “password for pine cast” or what not.  I fill in most of my passwords this way, or I might access the entry in brave if I need to note it down somewhere.  Since brave and chrome are both chrome based browsers I’m not surprised this is broken in both places. I have not tested in edge, I totally forgot, as I was busy grabbing some documents I needed.

----

Gene

----

Gene

Gene

----

Sarah k Alawami

This has been the case for a while now on all of my computers, it will complete both. And in this case I knew it was correct  as I have the number of characters memorized. This does need to be fixed though as I might not know, what if there are two entries for example.

----

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 6:26 PM

but how do you know the password you are entering?  and I see no autocomplete in the password field in Firefox.  And In Firefox, I see the e-mail autocomplete field.  I see no way to have a password autocomplete field without it being an unacceptable security breach if someone can tell by looking what the password is for.

Gene

On 4/14/2022 6:02 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

----

Gene

----

Gene

Gene

----

Steve Nutt

Hi,

This is a Chrome problem with all screen readers. It happens with JAWS too.

All the best

Steve

--
To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...
W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Sent: 13 April 2022 18:11

Sarah k Alawami

Sigh. Is there a ticket somewhere in chromium we can discuss this in then?

Thanks.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2022 1:20 AM

Hi,

All the best

Steve

--
To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW

Arlene

Yes, I can confirm this. I have both NVDA and Jaws.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: April 19, 2022 1:19 AM

Hi,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Steve Nutt

Hi Sarah,

Report it to Disability Support on Google.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: 19 April 2022 16:28

Thanks.

Hi,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW

Sarah k Alawami

I will look at that, I think I will ping their social accounts wit this information as that's where I tend to get noticed, sometimes for the wrong reasons, but we'll give this a try.

Happy Wednesday.

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2022 2:31 AM

Hi Sarah,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW

Thanks.

Hi,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW

So this is "on record" for future readers:

Google Accessibility Get In Touch Page

Contact the Google Disability Support Team

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Steve Nutt

I think reporting it would be better than pinging their socials, because it may not get noticed by the right people.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW

Sent: 20 April 2022 16:07

I will look at that, I think I will ping their social accounts wit this information as that's where I tend to get noticed, sometimes for the wrong reasons, but we'll give this a try.

Happy Wednesday.

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2022 2:31 AM

Hi Sarah,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW

Thanks.

Hi,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW