NVDA not reading column headings in Excel tables

Lars Holm Sørensen

Hi all

When I create tables, e.g. with “Ctrl + t” in Excel and mark that the table has column headings, I would expect that NVDA should read these column headings when navigating the table. Yet my NVDA just read the cell content and not the column headings. For the same table my Jaws do read the column headings when navigating horizontal in the table.

Am my expectation wrong, when I expect NVDA to read the column headings or do I miss a setting somewhere?

BR:

Lars

Lars Holm Sørensen

Konsulent

Diversa Consult ApS

Amager Strandvej 118D
2300 København S
Mobile: 25 21 17 41
Mail: lhs@diversa.dk

Få automatisk oplæsning af tekst på din hjemmeside. 7% betragter
sig selv som ordblinde. Det betyder at knap 400.000 personer i
Danmark har svært ved at læse teksten på din hjemmeside.
www.readspeaker.diversa.dk

Vær sociale med os

See message number 511, by Alan Lemley in the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group in the topic entitled, Reading row and column headers using Excel defined titles tutorial.

It may help here.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Also have a look at the topic on this group entitled, Is there a way to turn off announcement of table column and row headings?.  It's the flip-side of your issue and the settings mentioned are toggled either on or off.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Lars Holm Sørensen

Hi Brian

Yes I am aware of this method to define column and row headings. I just do not understand why this method is necessary for having column headings announced in a simple table in Excel. Both Jaws and Narrater (I think) will announce Excel table column headings without first manually defining them.

Anyway thanks a lot for your reply Brian.