NVDA not reading column headings in Excel tables

Lars Holm Sørensen

Hi all

When I create tables, e.g. with “Ctrl + t” in Excel and mark that the table has column headings, I would expect that NVDA should read these column headings when navigating the table. Yet my NVDA just read the cell content and not the column headings. For the same table my Jaws do read the column headings when navigating horizontal in the table.

Am my expectation wrong, when I expect NVDA to read the column headings or do I miss a setting somewhere?

BR:

Lars

Lars Holm Sørensen

Konsulent

Diversa Consult ApS

Amager Strandvej 118D
2300 København S
Mobile: 25 21 17 41
Mail: lhs@diversa.dk

Få automatisk oplæsning af tekst på din hjemmeside. 7% betragter
sig selv som ordblinde. Det betyder at knap 400.000 personer i
Danmark har svært ved at læse teksten på din hjemmeside.
www.readspeaker.diversa.dk

Vær sociale med os       

See message number 511, by Alan Lemley in the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group in the topic entitled, Reading row and column headers using Excel defined titles tutorial.

It may help here.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

Also have a look at the topic on this group entitled, Is there a way to turn off announcement of table column and row headings?.  It's the flip-side of your issue and the settings mentioned are toggled either on or off.
--

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

Lars Holm Sørensen

Hi Brian

Yes I am aware of this method to define column and row headings. I just do not understand why this method is necessary for having column headings announced in a simple table in Excel. Both Jaws and Narrater (I think) will announce Excel table column headings without first manually defining them.

Anyway thanks a lot for your reply Brian.

BR:

Lars

Lars Holm Sørensen

Konsulent

Diversa Consult ApS

Amager Strandvej 118D
2300 København S

Vær sociale med os       

Fra: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> På vegne af Brian Vogel via groups.io
Sendt: 22. april 2021 16:12
Til: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Emne: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading column headings in Excel tables

See message number 511, by Alan Lemley in the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group in the topic entitled, Reading row and column headers using Excel defined titles tutorial.

It may help here.
--

~ Richard M. Nixon

Rui Fontes

No, as far as I know, any screen reader announces row and columns titles unless they are defined in Excel...

The NVDA commands define that in Excel, at least they used to do that...

Please note the issue of NVDA do not announce them when using UIAutomation in Excel...

Rui Fontes

Às 16:00 de 22/04/2021, Lars Holm Sørensen escreveu:

Hi Brian

Yes I am aware of this method to define column and row headings. I just do not understand why this method is necessary for having column headings announced in a simple table in Excel. Both Jaws and Narrater (I think) will announce Excel table column headings without first manually defining them.

Anyway thanks a lot for your reply Brian.

BR:

Lars

Lars Holm Sørensen

Konsulent

Diversa Consult ApS

Amager Strandvej 118D
2300 København S

Vær sociale med os       

Fra: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> På vegne af Brian Vogel via groups.io
Sendt: 22. april 2021 16:12
Til: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Emne: Re: [nvda] NVDA not reading column headings in Excel tables

It may help here.
--

~ Richard M. Nixon