Topics

NVDA Not Working with CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra 19

Chris

Since PowerDVD Ultra 19 is a popular Windows program for Blu-ray and DVD video playback, adding compatibility with NVDA would allow sight-impared users to access and change preferences, perform functions within a movie or an album, etc..  If there is an NVDA add-on for this program, please let me know.  Since this is my first post here, I understand it might not make it to the group and needs time for approval.  If I get approved, I'd be happy to post this again if this post doesn't make  it to the group.  Ultimately, I hope the developers of NVDA are reading this and will be able to add support for CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra version 19 and beyond to NVDA.

        Thank you,

    Chris

What any screen reader user needs to understand is that issues of inaccessibility can originate with the screen reader itself, the software you're trying to use it to control, or both.

Your request is not unreasonable, but be aware that it may have nothing to do with NVDA (or any other screen reader) and may have everything to do with something the folks at CyberLink have done (or not done) with PowerDVD Ultra 19.

There are times, of course, where both sides of the equation will have tweaks that must be made.

       ~ Madonna

Arno Schuh

Because I use Cyberlink, too, I support your request for an addon that makes Cyberlink more accessible.
I didn't bought v. 19, yet, but in the older versions some features were available in Cyberlink's context menue. But it would be very helpful if the OSM could be used with NVDA.

Arno

Chris <@ChrisKfromNJ> wrote:

Since PowerDVD Ultra 19 is a popular Windows program for Blu-ray and
DVD video playback, adding compatibility with NVDA would allow
sight-impared users to access and change preferences, perform
functions within a movie or an album, etc.. If there is an NVDA
add-on for this program, please let me know. Since this is my first
post here, I understand it might not make it to the group and needs
time for approval. If I get approved, I'd be happy to post this again
if this post doesn't make it to the group. Ultimately, I hope the
developers of NVDA are reading this and will be able to add support
for CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra version 19 and beyond to NVDA.

Thank you,

Chris

Thats true.

I have had a similar issue with abbyy fine reader 15.

At first they just said it worked with jaws and that was fine but would test it.

It took them over a month to test and find it was their software being bad.

Now its not been fixed yet but its in the cue so its going to appear at some point maybe in the next update in the 15 x series whenever that is.

On 9/02/2020 3:22 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
What any screen reader user needs to understand is that issues of inaccessibility can originate with the screen reader itself, the software you're trying to use it to control, or both.

Your request is not unreasonable, but be aware that it may have nothing to do with NVDA (or any other screen reader) and may have everything to do with something the folks at CyberLink have done (or not done) with PowerDVD Ultra 19.

There are times, of course, where both sides of the equation will have tweaks that must be made.

       ~ Madonna

Quentin Christensen

I haven't used Cyberlink myself, but I wonder for those who have it, have you reached out to Cyberlink about the accessibility problems?

WIthout having looked at the software this is all just general, but in general:
- NVDA supports standard controls (buttons, edit boxes, labels, etc), so if a program uses standard controls they should generally be accessible.  There might be issues like if they created the buttons in reverse order TAB might take you everywhere in a weird order, but you should be able to get there.

- If a developer has created their own custom controls, they may not be accessible, depending on whether they based them off an accessible control or really did create them from scratch.  If they created them from scratch, it's still possible to make them accessible, it just requires extra work in terms of ensuring information is declared to accessibility APIs which might be listening, labels are attached to edit boxes, and so on.

- Often, it's not just being able to tab or arrow to information, but you need to be able to quickly jump to important controls.  If you have a telephone answering program for instance, you really want a shortcut that will let you answer the phone immediately - you don't want to have to tab 35 times to get to the "answer" button.  You also want the program to alert you to the fact that the phone is ringing in the first place.  A flashing light with no other indication and nothing for NVDA to detect isn't going to be very accessible.

There might be things NVDA can do better to access a program, and it might be possible to write an add-on or modify NVDA to overcome issues with the above points, however if the developer of the original software can address those points and ensure their software is as accessible as possible, then it will help not only NVDA users, (and NVDA users who don't have a specific version of NVDA or a particular add-on) but it will help other users as well - users of other screen readers, keyboard users who might not use a screen reader, etc.

As I said, I haven't used this particular program so those are all general comments.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

lauracornwell

Hey there, to all the new nvda works great from hear also do we know when remote is going to hit the aire waves? I have had  a lot of people asking me .

[...]

Hopefully soon Laura, you know who we're waiting on and it's not us...

I've made as many waves as I dare (and probably more than I should have) on Twitter already this morning...  We've done the work and submitted the PRs, we're just waiting for the NVDA Remote team now...

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 2:42 AM lauracornwell <lauracornwell1@...> wrote:

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Yeah I'm also waiting as NVDA remote for me is a must as well. I saw the waves by the way. Lol!

to subscribe to the feed click here