NVDA not working with INSERT+F7

Geraldine.Huzar

Hi
I wondered if anyone can help. A colleague is trying to use NVDA on her laptop, but whenever she selects INSERT+F7 to access the Elements list, a slider going from 0 to 100% briefly appears on the left of her screen and the Elements List doesn't activate. She's uninstalled and reinstalled NVDA, but that didn't make any difference.

I have had a look on the internet, but couldn't see a reason why this is happening.

She's using NVDA 20.2 and Firefox 78.20.

Many thanks
Geri

Rosemarie Chavarria

Is she using the desktop command insert f-7 or is she using the laptop command which is capslock A?

On 10/14/2020 7:52 AM, Geraldine.Huzar via groups.io wrote:
Hi
I wondered if anyone can help. A colleague is trying to use NVDA on her laptop, but whenever she selects INSERT+F7 to access the Elements list, a slider going from 0 to 100% briefly appears on the left of her screen and the Elements List doesn't activate. She's uninstalled and reinstalled NVDA, but that didn't make any difference.

I have had a look on the internet, but couldn't see a reason why this is happening.

She's using NVDA 20.2 and Firefox 78.20.

Many thanks
Geri

Blaster

This may not be a NVDA issue, It may be that her function keys are in
media mode. Does she normally need to use the FN key with the function
keys IE. like pressing the Alt plus the FN key and the F4 key to close
an application?

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 12:31 PM, Blaster wrote:
It may be that her function keys are in media mode.
Great catch!  On HP machines, at least, F6, F7, and F8 are all volume control media keys [Mute, Volume Down, and Volume Up, respectively].  The fact that a slider comes up makes me think that F7 is a volume media key and that it's showing where that key press has taken the volume.  I turned the media keys off on my machine, but if you use FN+ the given key it does what it would have in Media Key mode, and a slider always appears if I'm adjusting volume up or down.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Rosemarie Chavarria

Wow--I didn't think of that. I don't know a lot about laptops. I'm so used to using a desktop.

On 10/14/2020 9:31 AM, Blaster wrote:
[...]

tim

In laptop its still the same NVDA key + f7.
So the insert or caps lock keys with f7 give you the elements list.
In desktop caps lock + a, does nothing. it reads from system carrot to the end.

Is she using the desktop command insert f-7 or is she using the laptop command which is capslock A?
On 10/14/2020 7:52 AM, Geraldine.Huzar via groups.io wrote:
Hi
I wondered if anyone can help. A colleague is trying to use NVDA on her laptop, but whenever she selects INSERT+F7 to access the Elements list, a slider going from 0 to 100% briefly appears on the left of her screen and the Elements List doesn't activate. She's uninstalled and reinstalled NVDA, but that didn't make any difference.

I have had a look on the internet, but couldn't see a reason why this is happening.

She's using NVDA 20.2 and Firefox 78.20.

Many thanks
Geri

Geraldine.Huzar

Thank you for all your great advice. I'll get back to my colleague.

It's the first time I've used this forum and I'm really impressed with the support.

scott.davis3@...

For me, capslock + F7 brings a popup "Do I want to turn on caret browsing?" from the Chrome browser.  Version 2020.1 Interestingly, With input help on(capslock + 1) and I press capslock + F7 this reports NVDA + F7 and not the expected "Browse mode elements list."

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 06:32 PM, <scott.davis3@...> wrote:
For me, capslock + F7 brings a popup "Do I want to turn on caret browsing?" from the Chrome browser.  Version 2020.1 Interestingly, With input help on(capslock + 1) and I press capslock + F7 this reports NVDA + F7 and not the expected "Browse mode elements list."
-
I have already responded to this where you added to another topic.

Please do NOT post the same question to multiple topics on the same list, or multi-post across lists.  Ask once, and wait a reasonable time for an answer before asking elsewhere, and never ask on two topics in the same venue.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Gene

Do you have the caps lock set as an NVDA key? it doesn't sound like it. If you set the caps lock to work as an NVDA key, the command will work as expected and bring up the links list.