NVDA not working with Chrome


Hidden User
 

 Hi everyone,
I am using NVDA 2020.4 with windows 19041.1052 with the latest version of Google Chrome.

From few days, I have noticed a bug in NVDA that, NVDA is completely inaccessible with Chrome. There is no spoken feedback while using Chrome.

Also, in places like D drive or desktop and apps like Notepad, NVDA doesn't respond to alt+ space or application key.  Basically, NVDA doesn't speak while navigating through options that appear.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?
 
Regards,
Saurav Hegde


 

Have you tried these, as a starting point:  The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues?

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

      ~ Brian Vogel

 


Hidden User
 

Yes, tried but nothing worked.


On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 at 21:21, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Have you tried these, as a starting point:  The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues?

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

      ~ Brian Vogel

 


 

Then, my next suggestion, since it's reasonably easy, is doing an uninstall and reinstall of NVDA 2020.4.

If that doesn't fix things (and definitely try the steps noted before for the new install, just for good measure), then I start looking at the Windows and/or Chrome side of the equation.

Heaven knows that NVDA and Chrome can and do play very well together when everything is "as it should be."
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

      ~ Brian Vogel

 


Hidden User
 

Done, almost everything done.
Reinstalled Chrome
Reinstalled NVDA
Used earlier version of NVDA

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 at 22:01, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Then, my next suggestion, since it's reasonably easy, is doing an uninstall and reinstall of NVDA 2020.4.

If that doesn't fix things (and definitely try the steps noted before for the new install, just for good measure), then I start looking at the Windows and/or Chrome side of the equation.

Heaven knows that NVDA and Chrome can and do play very well together when everything is "as it should be."
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

      ~ Brian Vogel

 


 

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 12:48 PM, Hidden User wrote:
Used earlier version of NVDA
-
But don't.  There is no issue with NVDA 2020.4 and Chrome, or shouldn't be.  And soon enough 2020.4 will be history and 2021.1 will be the only in-support version of NVDA.

We want to make sure it works with NVDA as currently released.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

      ~ Brian Vogel

 


Luke Davis
 

Hidden User wrote:

Used earlier version of NVDA
I would like to suggest the opposite.

Download the latest alpha version of NVDA from here.
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/nvaccess/nvda/build/alpha-23227,dbd6c119

Don't install it, just run the executable file, and when the window comes up to ask install, make a portable version, or keep running (what is called a temporary copy), do that--just select keep running.

Then, Press NVDA+n, followed by t, to get to the NVDA tools menu.
Next, choose the option for "Run COM Registration Fixing Tool", and follow the prompts.

We have just finished rebuilding the internals of that tool to fix more problems, and to work much better on 64-bit Windows.

After you run that tool, quit NVDA, and start your existing installed copy of 2020.4 again, and see if your problem is resolved.

A note to anyone else reading this: this is specific advice, to this user only, not a general suggestion. There's no reason for anyone else to try this unless you are having this exact problem

Luke


 

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 01:27 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
A note to anyone else reading this: this is specific advice, to this user only, not a general suggestion.
-
And a big, big thanks for making this point.  I have been the kind recipient of custom builds for testing on several occasions in the past.  Also, on other venues, particularly when diagnostics are involved, it's often requested that things be tried that have the potential to be out and out damaging on systems other than the one being diagnosed.

Luke so happens to be an "NVDA Insider" whose advice can, and should, be trusted when certain sensitive diagnostic steps are involved.  And the first and foremost piece of advice here is, "this is specific advice, to this user only, not a general suggestion. There's no reason for anyone else to try this . . ."
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

      ~ Brian Vogel

 


Hidden User
 

Hi,
thanks for that was a valuable feedback.
Also, also want ask you guise that should I update to latest windows 10 19043 build.
Does it have bugs?


On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 at 22:57, Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:
Hidden User wrote:

> Used earlier version of NVDA

I would like to suggest the opposite.

Download the latest alpha version of NVDA from here.
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/nvaccess/nvda/build/alpha-23227,dbd6c119

Don't install it, just run the executable file, and when the window comes
up to ask install, make a portable version, or keep running (what is
called a temporary copy), do that--just select keep running.

Then, Press NVDA+n, followed by t, to get to the NVDA tools menu.
Next, choose the option for "Run COM Registration Fixing Tool", and follow the prompts.

We have just finished rebuilding the internals of that tool to fix more
problems, and to work much better on 64-bit Windows.

After you run that tool, quit NVDA, and start your existing installed copy
of 2020.4 again, and see if your problem is resolved.

A note to anyone else reading this: this is specific advice, to this user
only, not a general suggestion. There's no reason for anyone else to try
this unless you are having this exact problem

Luke






 

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 12:45 AM, Hidden User wrote:
Does it have bugs?
-
The answer to that, for any software, is always, "Yes."  But it doesn't seem to have any that are rearing their ugly heads as far as most users are concerned.

You want to be on the latest version and build of Windows 10, period, once its initial shake out period (which is the first month to two after initial release date) is over.  Current Version is 21H1, Build 19043.1052.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

      ~ Brian Vogel

 


Hidden User
 

Hi,
updated to the latest version of windows and, the issue is resolved!
Thanks for all the support and guidance provided.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 at 19:21, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 12:45 AM, Hidden User wrote:
Does it have bugs?
-
The answer to that, for any software, is always, "Yes."  But it doesn't seem to have any that are rearing their ugly heads as far as most users are concerned.

You want to be on the latest version and build of Windows 10, period, once its initial shake out period (which is the first month to two after initial release date) is over.  Current Version is 21H1, Build 19043.1052.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

      ~ Brian Vogel

 


 

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 11:02 AM, Hidden User wrote:
updated to the latest version of windows and, the issue is resolved!
-
Which is precisely the reason that our group rules state that only in-support software can be discussed here and should be used.  And I do realize that several earlier builds of Windows 10 are still in support.

But this is the perfect illustration of the complex interplay of variables between an operating system and the application software running on it.  Virtually all complex software, and screen readers in particular, are going to be issuing system calls to the underlying operating system with great regularity.  It really is important to keep everything as updated as you can, while allowing time, in the case of Windows, for initial shake-out to take place.

But by the time the vast majority of end users are even offered the latest feature update for download and install it's usually well past the shake-out period.  That is unless you happen to be the very rare exception that gets put into one of the very early update cohorts, in which case just don't activate the download and install link for a couple of weeks until the initial shake-out has occurred.

Avoiding updates as a general practice is not a good computer maintenance strategy, and most often causes far more problems than it prevents.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.  The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression, which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the clearest indicator of who you are.

      ~ Brian Vogel