Topics

nvda ocr

Aschalew Byness

Hi lovely guys
I always try to have nvda recognize image or scanned documents with
insert+r. I don't get any result though. but, in jaws, when I press
insert + space, o, c, I hear a kind of bip sound to let me know that
the recognition is in process. it also lets me know when it finishes
recognizing the document. I don't get the same in nvda although I
press insert +r. it is dead silence. does this nvda OCR recognition
really work.

hello.
do you use windows ten?
if so, windows ten has internal ocr functionality that nvda developers
added support for it since nvda version 2017.3.
if you use any other windows version that has not internal ocr
capability, you should install ocr addon.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Aschalew Byness

yeah, I am using windows 10 2004 version. when I try to recognize an
image by pressing insert + r, there is nothing shown or heard. no bip
sound, no spoken outcome whether it is recognizing. even when I press
arrow keys, it simply says 'blank'. then How do I know whether it has
started recognizing. How do I know whether it has finished
recognising?

On 6/25/20, zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
[...]

Luke Davis

Can you please provide some more information about how you are giving the image to NVDA?

How do you get the image?
What program are you in when you try to perform the OCR?
What is NVDA saying, right before you press insert+r?

Luke

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020, Aschalew Byness wrote:

Hi lovely guys
I always try to have nvda recognize image or scanned documents with
insert+r. I don't get any result though. but, in jaws, when I press
insert + space, o, c, I hear a kind of bip sound to let me know that
the recognition is in process. it also lets me know when it finishes
recognizing the document. I don't get the same in nvda although I
press insert +r. it is dead silence. does this nvda OCR recognition
really work.

Ralf Kefferpuetz

For me under Win10 2004 and before NVDA-R says Recognizing And then Result document
Make sure the object containing the content you want to be OCR'ed is in focus.

Cheers,
Ralf

[...]

The image is a scanned document. I open this scanned document with
Adobe reader. When I open it, nvda says: “Alert: Empty page page
This page appears to be empty. It may contain a scanned image that
needs OCR or it may be part of a malformed document.” After getting
this message, I press insert +r. nvda says: ‘recognizing. Result
document.” After that, if I press insert +r, nvda says: ‘already in a
content recognition result’. If I arrow then, it reads: ‘blank”.

On 6/25/20, Aschalew Byness via groups.io
<gakidan.ashagre235=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Sam Taylor

NVDA's OCR recognises the current navigator object, not the system focus. So make sure that you position the navigator object first at the place you think the OCR should occur, before pressing NVDA+R.

<gakidan.ashagre235@...> wrote:
[...]

If I want to ocr a book, how do I position the navigater object? I
mean, what key should I press first before I press nvda+r?

On 6/25/20, Sam Taylor via groups.io <samtaylor9=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

numpad 7 or numpad 9 on a desktop, NVDA up arrow or NVDA down arrow if using laptop layout.

You may also benefit from reading sections 5.4 and 5.5 of the user manual concerning object navigation and reviewing text.

<gakidan.ashagre235@...> wrote:
[...]

thank you; but if position the navigator object with nvda+down or up
arrow, what keystroke should I then press to get back to the system
focus?

[...]

Gene

You can't OCR extended material with NVDA. You may be able to OCR something like one image or one page of an image at a time, but not entire documents.

[...]

Your system focus remains where it was; just continue to use your arrow keys. It's not like JAWS where it's necessary to change back to your original cursor.

<gakidan.ashagre235@...> wrote:
[...]

yeah, I am using windows 10 64 bit. what do you mean when you says
'amharic is available as ocr language'? are you telling me that I can
ocr Amharic documents? how? because, when I go to nvda setting windows
10 ocr and choose language, I find only english language in the
cambobox.

On 6/25/20, Aschalew Byness <gakidan.ashagre235@...> wrote:
Hi lovely guys
I always try to have nvda recognize image or scanned documents with
insert+r. I don't get any result though. but, in jaws, when I press
insert + space, o, c, I hear a kind of bip sound to let me know that
the recognition is in process. it also lets me know when it finishes
recognizing the document. I don't get the same in nvda although I
press insert +r. it is dead silence. does this nvda OCR recognition
really work.

hello.
can someone please tell me that does windows ten ocr support arabic
and persian language?
thanks and God bless you all!

On 6/27/20, Aschalew Byness <gakidan.ashagre235@...> wrote:
[...]

Fawaz Abdul rahman

Supports Arabic yes.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--

By God,

were I given all the seven heavens

with all they contain

in order that

I may disobey God

by depriving an ant

from the husk of a grain of barley,

I would not do it.

imam ali

Salam and thanks.
may i ask since which version of windows ten, arabic language ocr
support was added?
i read in microsoft website that in windows ten 1607,
only 25 languages were included and it had not arabic.
how about farsi, (persian)?

On 6/27/20, Fawaz Abdul rahman <fawaz.ar94@...> wrote:
[...]

Rui Fontes

Yes, you can recognize documents in Amhariclanguage.

The instructions are:

# NAPS2TesseractOCR

* Authors: Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...> and Ângelo Abrantes <ampa4374@...>

## Information
This add-on uses the Tesseract OCR engine, packaged by NAPS2, both open source and free, to perform optical character recognition to an image document, whether PDF, JPG, TIF or other, without having to open the document.
It also can uses a scanner as origin of the material to be recognized.

In the NVDA menu, Preferences, a section NAPS2TesseractOCR is added, where you can configure the language to be used for recognition.

## Supported languages
The languages supported in this version are:
Afrikaans
German
Amharic
Arabic
Bulgarian
Burnes
Canarim
Spanish (Spanish)
Catalan / Valencian
Czech
Simplified Chinese
Traditional Chinese
Korean
Croatian
Danish
Slovak
Slovenian
Finnish
French
Galician
Georgian
Greek
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Indonesian
English
Irish
Icelandic
Italian
Japanese
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Dutch
Nepalese
Norwegian
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Punjabi
Kyrgyz
Romanian / Moldovan
Russian
Serbian (Latin)
Swedish
Thai
Tamil
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Vietnamese

## Supported image types
This add-on supports the following file types:
PDF
jpg
tif
png
bmp
pnm
pbm
pgm
jp2
gif
jfif
jpeg
tiff
spix
webp

## Commands
The command to start the character recognition process is:
Shift + NVDA + r for documents on your PC
Control + Shift + NVDA + r to recognize documents through scanning.

Then just wait for the 1.pdf file to open.
If you want to preserve the recognized text, be sure to save the document under another name and in another location, as all files in the temporary folder are deleted at the end of the process!

## Known issues
* This version only works on Windows 10 64-bit systems.

* If a folder does not have, at the beginning of the full path, the reference to the drive letter, as, for example, in Windows 10 with the Documents, Downloads, etc. folders, the add-on cannot determine the full path of the file, and so you will not be able to perform optical character recognition.
This is a known Windows problem and, as far as I know, cannot be solved.
An alternative is to open the folder through the Start menu ... Just type the name of the folder until NVDA announces what we want ...

You can grab it at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrqdabkl9sqplfl/NAPS2TesseractOCR.nvda-addon?dl=1

Sorry, it is not yet perfect, but it works and it is free!
Please, do not discuss it with any other person by now...

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team

Às 04:21 de 27/06/2020, Aschalew Byness escreveu:

yeah, I am using windows 10 64 bit. what do you mean when you says
'amharic is available as ocr language'? are you telling me that I can
ocr Amharic documents? how? because, when I go to nvda setting windows
10 ocr and choose language, I find only english language in the
cambobox.

On 6/25/20, Aschalew Byness <gakidan.ashagre235@...> wrote:
Hi lovely guys
I always try to have nvda recognize image or scanned documents with
insert+r. I don't get any result though. but, in jaws, when I press
insert + space, o, c, I hear a kind of bip sound to let me know that
the recognition is in process. it also lets me know when it finishes
recognizing the document. I don't get the same in nvda although I
press insert +r. it is dead silence. does this nvda OCR recognition
really work.

how about persian language?
i really wish that one addon supports it
and be compatible with at least 2017.2 and 2017.3.

On 6/27/20, Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...> wrote:
[...]

Nop, at least I will not try to make it compatible with NVDA 2017...

Persian is supported.

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 13:58 de 27/06/2020, zahra escreveu:

[...]

which version should i download to be compatible with 2017 version of nvda?
and also, supports persian language?!
in the nvda addon website,
i found this.
which version should i download for my need?
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ocr.en.html