NVDA OCR - Can you save the text result somehow?

In another topic regarding NVDA OCR, Quentin Christensen wrote:

When you press NVDA+r, what normally happens is NVDA reports "Recognising...", then shortly after "Result document".  No window is displayed visually, but as you navigate at this point, NVDA will read the text it has recognised.  Press escape to close this and return to the program.

I am using NVDA OCR on an image of a newspaper article, and everything Quentin reports is true.  But what I'm wondering is if there's a way to save the OCR content produced.  Another recent topic gave a clear indication that you can, as it appeared that someone had done just that, and then copied and pasted into a message sent to the group.

All that being said, and having looked at the Commands Quick Reference and the NVDA User Guide I can't seem to find anything  about how to save the result in something like Notepad, and there are times that this would be really handy.  Even multiple topics on NVDA OCR on the group don't hit upon this, at least the ones I've reviewed.

If this can be done, please share how.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Rui Fontes

Just press Control+A to select all and Control+C to copy...

Rui Fontes

Às 02:34 de 20/11/2021, Brian Vogel escreveu:

[...]

Gene

According to what I’ve read, you can select and copy to the clipboard as you can in general.  If you try it and it doesn’t work, perhaps you can use the review commands along with the f9 and f10 commands to copy the text to the clipboard.

Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 8:34 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA OCR - Can you save the text result somehow?

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 09:41 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Just press Control+A to select all and Control+C to copy...
-
Thanks.  That's definitely dirt simple.

In this case, being able to see was a disadvantage, because since the result document is not visible I wasn't sure whether it was accessible for cut, copy, and paste in the same way something that is presented in a given application is.

Your assistance is appreciated, a lot.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Giles Turnbull

Another option that I regularly turn to if I want to copy text from a dialogue box, is to start Speech Viewer from NVDA's tools menu. Then everything that NVDA reads aloud is in the viewer window, where any text can be selected and can then be easily copied with the usual CTRL+C. I tend to use it when needing to mention software versions I am running, such as the version of Windows from the winver command.

Speech Viewer would record anything that NVDA speaks in the OCR window :)

Giles

Rui Fontes

For that I think is better our add-on, NVDARecorder...

You can get it from:

https://nvda.es/files/get.php?file=nvdarecorder

Information
• Author: Rui Fontes and Ângelo Abrantes
• Compatibility: NVDA 2019.3 and following

Usage
This add-on serves to record in a text document all speeches of NVDA while the add-on is active. After recording stops, the text document will open.

Note: What is spoken in SayAll is not recorded.

To activate/deactivate the recording Press ALT + NumPad Plus. This command can be modified in the "Input gestures" dialog in the "Miscellaneous" category.

Automatic update
This add-on includes an automatic update feature. The check for a new version will be executed everytime NVDA is loaded. If you do not want this, go to NVDA, Preferences, Options and in the add-on category uncheck the check box.

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team

Às 14:27 de 20/11/2021, Giles Turnbull escreveu:

Another option that I regularly turn to if I want to copy text from a dialogue box, is to start Speech Viewer from NVDA's tools menu. Then everything that NVDA reads aloud is in the viewer window, where any text can be selected and can then be easily copied with the usual CTRL+C. I tend to use it when needing to mention software versions I am running, such as the version of Windows from the winver command.

Speech Viewer would record anything that NVDA speaks in the OCR window :)

Giles

benmoxey@...

Hi everyone

In addition to Rui’s excellent add-on, if you only want to easily access the text content of the active window, try Virtual Review. Once installed, you can press NVDA + Control + W to place all text in the current window into a virtual buffer. Then, you can select, copy, paste etc. When done, press Escape to return to the window.

Check it out on the official add-ons page:

Virtual Review (nvda-project.org)

Cheers

Ben