Topics

NVDA+Outlook, and number of new messages

Cordelia Scharpf

Hi:

I am looking for a method in NVDA to determine the number of new messages
arriving in Outlook's in-box, spam folder, and junk mail. Does NVDA offer
such info without my having to arrow up and down each list in each folder?
Thanks.

Cordelia

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Cordelia,

Close all open emails and make sure that your cursor is resting on any
closed message in the current folder.
Press control+Shif+tab to opens the "Folder List". NVDA announces "Folder
List minimised".
Press space bar to expand the list.
Arrow down to the folder you want.
Note that NVDA speaks the number of messages contained in the folder after
giving the folder name.

You can also open the Folder List by using control+y but this view of the
list does not show the number of emails contained in each folder.

All the best,

Cearbhall

I am looking for a method in NVDA to determine the number of new messages
arriving in Outlook's in-box, spam folder, and junk mail. Does NVDA offer
such info without my having to arrow up and down each list in each folder?
Thanks.

Cordelia

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Cordelia,

Close all open emails and make sure that your cursor is resting on any
closed message in the current folder.
Press control+Shif+tab to opens the "Folder List". NVDA announces "Folder
List minimised".
Press space bar to expand the list.
Arrow down to the folder you want or type the initial letter of the folder
name.
Note that NVDA speaks the number of messages contained in the folder after
giving the folder name.

You can also open the Folder List by using control+y but this view of the
list does not show the number of emails contained in each folder.

All the best,

Cearbhall

I am looking for a method in NVDA to determine the number of new messages
arriving in Outlook's in-box, spam folder, and junk mail. Does NVDA offer
such info without my having to arrow up and down each list in each folder?
Thanks.

Cordelia

Cordelia Scharpf

Many thanks, Cearbhall, for that tip. The screen reader I have been using
for years displays such information right away when I open Outlook. I guess
I will have to do some learning when switching to NVDA as my primary screen
reader.

Best regards,
Cordelia

I am looking for a method in NVDA to determine the number of new messages
arriving in Outlook's in-box, spam folder, and junk mail. Does NVDA offer
such info without my having to arrow up and down each list in each folder?
Thanks.

Cordelia

David Griffith

If you are talking about Jaws I have to use the same techniques as below using Jaws 2020 and Outlook subscription version to find out the number of unread emails. In other words it is the same as NVDA now unless there is a command in Jaws I am not aware of.

I was only an occasional user of Window Eyes so I do not know if this was a feature it had.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am looking for a method in NVDA to determine the number of new messages

arriving in Outlook's in-box, spam folder, and junk mail. Does NVDA offer

such info without my having to arrow up and down each list in each folder?

Thanks.

Cordelia

Arlene

HI list, while we are on the outlook topic. Can I install outlook 2010 on this latest build of win ten? Thnks

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am looking for a method in NVDA to determine the number of new messages

arriving in Outlook's in-box, spam folder, and junk mail. Does NVDA offer

such info without my having to arrow up and down each list in each folder?

Thanks.

Cordelia

Cordelia Scharpf

Hi, David:

I used neither JAWS nor WindowsEyes as a screen reader. The company that designed mine went out of business, hence I must switch to a new screen reader. But thanks nonetheless. I’ll do the learning.

Best regards,

Cordelia